Download GK Updates January 2017 pdf
31 Jan 2017
- The Union Finance Minister Shri Arun Jaitley presented the Economic Survey 2016-17 in the Parliament. As per the survey,
- GDP growth rate for FY18 will be in the range of 75 percent to 7.5 percent.
- As per the Consumer Price Index (CPI), inflation remained under control for the third successive financial year. The average CPI inflation was 5.9 percent in 2014-15, 4.9 percent in 2015-16 and 8 percent during April-December 2016
- Growth in export was increased by 0.7 percent during April-December of 2016-17 amounting to USD 198.8 billion.
- Indirect taxes grew by 9 percent during April-November 2016.
- India’s external debt declined from March 2016 by USD 0.8 billion to USD 484.3 billion in September 2016.
- The agriculture sector is estimated to grow at 1 percent.
- The industrial sector is estimated to grow at 2 percent in 2016-17.
- The Service sector has been estimated to grow at 9 percent in 2016-17.
- The First ever National Entrepreneurship Awards 2016 was presented by the Union Home Minister Shri Rajnath Singh at Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi. The awards were given in 11 different categories divided into two groups: Award Track and Recognition Track.
- The US House of Representatives has introduced a legislation under the name High-Skilled Integrity and Fairness Act of 2017 making it mandatory to raise the minimum salary of the H-1B visa holders to more than double at USD 1,30,000 from the previous USD 60,000. If the legislation is passed, it would highly impact American companies as they may face difficulty in replacing the American employees with foreign workers including IT professionals from India.
- Ireland has become the first country in the world to divest coal, oil & gas investments from Ireland Strategic Investment Fund.
- The 12th Raising Day of National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) is to commend the NDRF for its efforts during disaster response.
- Income Tax Department (ITD) lead by Sushil Chandra has launched Operation Clean Money to verify the cash deposited in the banks during November 9th to December 30th 2016.
- Anushka Sharma has been chosen to be the face of PM Modi’s initiative, the Swach Bharat Abhiyaan along with Mr Amitabh Bachchan for the same.
- Chadian foreign affairs minister Moussa Faki Mahamat has been elected as the head of the African Union (AU) Commission by replacing Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma.
30 Jan 2017
- India celebrated the Martyrs Day or Shaheed Diwas on January 30, 2017 to commemorate the death anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
- Vinod Rai, the former Comptroller and Auditor General of India (CAG) was appointed as the head of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) administrative committee by the Supreme Court. Along with V. Rai, historian Ramachandra Guha, Vikram Limaye, Managing Director of IDFC and Diana Edulji, former women test cricket captain are the members of the 4-membered committee.
- Iris Mittenaere of France was crowned as the Miss Universe at the Mall of Asia Arena in Manila, Philippines organized by the Miss Universe Organization. India was represented by Roshmitha Harimurthy but could not make it to the top 12.
- IPS officer from Union Territories cadre, Amulya Patnaik is appointed as Chief of Delhi after Alok Verma has been moved as the director of CBI.
- Future Generali India Insurance Company (FGII) announced an agency tie-up with Pune-based Bank of Maharashtra. The aim is to benefit customers by providing them an ease of access while choosing from a diverse range of non-life insurance products.
- US President Donald Trump has signed an executive order to temporarily ban visas for refugees belonging to seven Muslim-majority countries namely Iraq, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen.
29 Jan 2017
- World Leprosy Day was celebrated all over the world.
- The National Immunization Day was celebrated to spread awareness about eradicating polio.
- Indian-American entrepreneur, philanthropist and venture capitalist Gururaj Deshpande has decided to launch India’s largest startup incubation centre at Hubballi (earlier Hubli) in Karnataka.
- After Bharti Airtel and digital payments firm Paytm, the India Post has received the final license from the Reserve bank of India to start its operation as payment bank with the name India Post Payment Bank (IPPB). AP Singh has been appointed as the interim MD and CEO of the India Post Payment Bank by the government.
- The 105th edition of the Australian Open tournament 2017 was held at Melbourne Park in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia from January 16 to January 29, 2017. The tournament is the first of the four Grand Slam tennis events of the year, the other three being the French Open, Wimbledon and the US Open.List of Winners –
- Men’s Singles – Roger Federer, Switzerland (18th Grand SlamTitle, first-ever victory over the Spaniard in Australia & the first man to claim five titles at three different grand slam events )
- Women’s Singles – Serena Williams
- Men’s Doubles – Henri Kontinen /John Peers
- Women’s Doubles – BethanieMattek-Sands /Lucie Safarova
- Mixed Doubles – Abigail Spears /Juan Sebastián Cabal
28 Jan 2017
- The Union Minister of State (I/C) for Youth Affairs and Sports Shri Vijay Goel has reconstituted TOP committee with the objective of identifying and supporting potential medal prospects for 2020 and 2024 Olympic Games under the “Target Olympic Podium”. The 10 member committee will be headed by Beijing Olympic Gold Medalist Abhinav Bindra.
- The Tokyo Olympic Committee has now announced that Son Goku, a cult anime character from Dragonball Z, will serve as one of its brand ambassadors. Tokyo will hold Olympic Games 2020.
- Mysuru got India’s first Post Office Passport Seva Kendra (POPSK), which will offer all passport related services on the lines of PSKs. The ministry of external affairs (MEA) has tied up with the postal department to offer passport related services through a network of post offices.
- The Telangana govt. signed a Memorandum of understanding (MoU) with French Aero campus Aquitaine to set up a world-class aero skills academy in the city in collaboration with academia and industry of the state.
27 Jan 2017
- The Crown Prince of Abu DhabiSheikh Mohammed Bin Zayed Al Nahyan was on a three day visit to India from January 25-27, 2017 to be the Chief Guest at the 68th Republic Day Celebration. During this visit, India and UAE signed 14 Agreements to strengthen Bilateral Cooperation on elevating bilateral ties to a Comprehensive Strategic Partnership in areas of security, defence and energy.
A Central Power Sector PSU & Central Transmission Utility, Power Grid Corporation of India Limited (PGCIL), signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Abu Dhabi Water & Electricity Authority (ADWEA) & its group of companies in Gurgaon, for cooperation in power sector.
- The Theatre Readiness Operational Exercise (TROPEX), an annual Indian Navy exercise kicked started on January 24, 2017 off the Western Seaboard. It aims to test combat readiness of the combined fleets of the Indian Navy, and the assets of the Indian Air Force, Indian Army and the Indian Coast Guard.
- India has been ranked 79th out of 176 countries in the Corruption Perception Index (CPI) for the year 2016 released by the Berlin-based corruption watchdog Transparency International (TI). New Zealand and Denmark jointly shared the first position as the least corrupt nations while Somalia was rated as the most corrupt country in the list.
- Three Indian-origin, Purushottam Sawrikar, Makhan Singh Khangure & Vijay Kumar have been awarded Australia’s highest civilian honor this year for their contributions in the field of medicine and work towards the community.
- 72nd International Holocaust Remembrance Day, anniversary of the liberation of the Auschwitz death camp, was observed by United Nation. Holocaust is the genocide that resulted in the annihilation of six million European Jews as well as millions of others by the Nazi regime.
26 Jan 2017
- Republic day is celebrated at Rajpath, Delhi in the presence of the President of India and Chief Guest, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan.
- Theme: Skill India and Beti Bachao – Beti Padhao
- Sherpa – a bullet-proof armored anti-hijacking NSG vehicle is launched.
- For the first time, a foreign contingent of 179 UAE Soldiers led the annual parade on Rajpath. A contingent of National Security Guards, also known as the Black Cat commandos, took part in the parade for the first time.
- President Pranab Mukherjee awarded the Ashok Chakra to Havaldar Hangpan Dada posthumously for killing four terrorists in north Kashmir in May 2016.
- The President of India approved the conferment of Jeevan Raksha Padak Series of Awards 2016on 36 persons for meritorious act of human nature in saving the life of a person.Distribution of Padma Awards to 89 persons. Out of these 19 are women, 5 awardees are from the category of foreigners, NRIs, PIOs while 6 are posthumous awardees. The Award includes 7 Padma Vibhushan, 7 Padma Bhushan and 75 Padma Shri Awardees.
- The world’s tallest building, Burj Khalifa, in Dubai, UAE was lit up on January 25, 2017 in tricolours saffron, white and green marking the 68th Republic Day of India.
- RBI Prohibits FDI in Non-Cooperative Countries to bring down the global terror financing and thus prevent, detect and prohibit money laundering.
- The world’s biggest producers of products ranging from baby products to band-aids, Johnson & Johnson buys Switzerland based bio-pharmaceutical firm, Actelion, a leader in medicines treating high blood pressure, will create a new Swiss-listed firm called R&D NewCo.
- Indian Ace Cueist Pankaj Advani wins 7th National Billiards Championship by defeating Rupesh Shah in Pune.
- Jamaican sprinter, Usain Bolt will have to hand back one of his nine Olympic gold medals won in the 4x100m relay event at the 2008 Beijing Olympics due to his Jamaican teammate Nesta Carter who was tested positive for a banned substance.
- US President Donald Trump signed an executive order to enable construction of a 2,000-mile wall along the southern US border with Mexico to stop the flow of drugs & illegal immigration into the US.
25 Jan 2017
- The Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju laid the foundation stone for an Integrated Check-Post (ICP) at the Indo-Bangladesh border in Meghalaya. The main aim is to boost employment opportunity besides boosting bilateral ties with the neighbouring countries.
- India and France signed White Shipping Agreement in New Delhi to enable information sharing on maritime traffic and maritime domain awareness in the Indian Ocean Region (IOR).
- The Reliance Foundation Founder and Chairperson Nita Ambani has been honored by the Metropolitan Museum of Art (The Met) in New York for her philanthropic work in the areas of education, sports, healthcare, rural transformation, urban renewal, disaster response, women empowerment and promotion of the arts. She is the first South Asian to receive this honor.
- Japan successfully launched its first military communications satellite, Kirameki-2 from Tanegashima Space Centre, Japan on an H-2A rocket, to boost the broadband capacity of its Self-Defence Forces.
- Pakistan successfully conducted the first test flight of the surface-to-surface ballistic missile (SSM), ‘Ababeel’.
- AIFF Launches Professional League for Women Footballers. The first edition of the league will be played from January 28 to February 14 at the Ambedkar Stadium in New Delhi.
- Election Commission of India celebrated 7th National Voters’ Day with theme “Empowering Young & Future Voters”. It is Election Commission’s foundation day as well.
- The Chief Election Commissioner released the book “Unfolding Indian Elections- Journey of living democracy” and presented the first copy to the President.
24 Jan 2017
- The Union Cabinet approved the Indian Institute of Management (IIM) Bill, 2017 that aims to declare IIMs as Institutions of National Importance. The IIM Bill provides complete autonomy to the institution and grant statutory powers to the IIMS and thus enable them to grant degrees instead of diplomas.
- Union Cabinet has given its post-facto approval to launch Varishtha Pension Bima Yojana 2017 (VPBY 2017). Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) would be the implementing body of the scheme. It aims to provide social security to elderly persons aged 60 years and above. Under the scheme, an assured pension with guaranteed rate of return of 8% per annum would be provided for a period of ten years. Besides, the nominee would have an option for pension on a monthly/ quarterly/half yearly and annual basis. The differential return, i.e., the difference between the return generated by LIC and the assured return of 8% per annum would be borne by Government of India as subsidy on an annual basis.
- The Union Cabinet gave approval for the ratification of the Second Commitment Period of the Kyoto Protocol on containing the emission of Green House Gases (GHGs).
- Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs approved the proposal of India Trade Promotion Organisation (ITPO) for re-development of Pragati Maidan by setting up of a world-class Integrated Exhibition-cum-Convention Centre (IECC) at Pragati Maidan, New Delhi.
- The Union Cabinet has decided to transfer the role of advising the government on how to utilize the proceeds from disinvestment from the Department of Investment and Public Asset Management (DIPAM) to the Department of Economic Affairs.
- Goa to become the first state that will opt for the electronic transmission of postal ballot in the Assembly elections.
- 9th National Girl Child Day celebrated to spread awareness about the inequalities faced by the girl child in the country. National Action Plan for Children, 2016 (NPAC) was released in New Delhi. NPAC has been developed by the Ministry of Women & Child Development. The Plan focuses on four key areas including survival; health & nutrition; education & development; protection & participation.
- Virat Kohli became the fastest batsman in the world to score 1000 runs as captain in One-Day Internationals (ODI).
- The Delhi International Airport Limited (DIAL) won the prestigious Golden Peacock Award for corporate social Responsibility in the aviation transport sector for the year 2016.
- China has built the world’s biggest solar park, Longyangxia Dam Solar Park, in the western province of Qinghai.
- US president, Donald Trump signed a formal executive order to withdraw the country from the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal.
- Russia’s President, Vladimir Putin was awarded the first ever Hugo Chavez Prize for Peace and Sovereignty by the Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro at the Presidential Palace in Miraflores, Caracas, Venezuela.
- India joined hands with UK to Launch Project ‘ASAP-Delhi: An Integrated Study of Air Pollutant Sources in the Delhi National Capital Region’ to tackle Delhi Air Pollution Risks.
23 Jan 2017
- 120th Birth Anniversary of an eminent Indian freedom fighter Subhash Chandra Bose was celebrated.
- The Indian Postal Department released a special stamp cover featuring Olympic Medalists PV. Sindhu, Sakshi Malik and gymnast Dipa Karmakar. They were also awarded Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna in 2016. The special cover is titled “Golden girls of India- pride of Nation” one of the images on the cover also features Dipa’s coach Bishweshwar Nandi, who was awarded the Dronacharya Award.
- Tamil Nadu assembly under the chairmanship of CM, O Panneerselvam unanimously passed the Jallikattu Bill to replace the ordinance issued on January 21, 2017 to allow the states traditional sport. The bill amends the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act, 1960, making Jallikattu a permanent sport in rural Tamil Nadu.
- Varanasi-based Utkarsh Micro Finance started operating its banking business as Utkarsh Small Finance Bank.
22 Jan 2017
- A special task force (STF) for women safety has been reconstituted under the Chairmanship of Lieutenant Governor (L-G) Anil Baijal.
- Boston Consulting Group (BCG) has named technology giant Apple as the most innovative Company in 2016 in its annual list of the world’s 50 “Most Innovative Companies”. Internet search giant Google ranked second, Amazon ranked fifth, Facebook ranked ninth and IBM are BCG’s tenth most innovative company.
- Hong Kong has withdrawn the visa-on-arrival facility for Indians travelling to Hong Kong.
- India’s ace shuttler Saina Nehwal has won the Malaysia Masters Grand Prix Gold title at Sarawak in Malaysia.
- 2017 Malaysia Masters Grand Prix Gold winner list –
- Men’s Singles – Ng Ka Long (Hong Kong)
- Women’s Singles – Saina Nehwal (India)
- Men’s Doubles – Berry Angriawan & Hardianto (Indonesia)
- Women’s Doubles – Jongkolphan Kititharakul & Rawinda Prajongjai (Thailand)
- Mixed Doubles – Tan Kian Meng & Lai Pei Jing (Malaysia)
21 Jan 2017
- Donald Trump assumed office as 45th US president after Barack Obama.
- The largest warship of the Indian Navy, INS Vikramaditya, will be equipped with its own dedicated ATM of SBI.
- ISKCON’s Govardhan eco-village in Thane district has been conferred with the UNWTO Award for Innovation in the category of Non-Governmental Organisations (NGO) at the annual United Nations World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO) Awards for Excellence and Innovation in Tourism at Madrid in Spain. It is the first village in India, which received this honor for its initiative of eco-tourism as a catalyst for rural development.
- In May 2014, the Supreme Court of India banned the practice, citing animal welfare issues. On 8 January 2016, the Government of India passed an order exempting Jallikattu from all performances where bulls cannot be used, effectively reversing the ban. However, on 14 January 2016, the Supreme Court of India upheld its ban on the event, leading to protests all over Tamil Nadu. After a three year long ban, Jallikattu has finally got the approval of the Centre to be held across Tamil Nadu. Tamil Nadu CM, Paneerselvam has sent a draft ordinance to the centre seeking an amendment to the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act, 1960 and removal of “bull” from the list of “performing” animals. This will ensure that provisions of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act will not apply to the bull.
- The Union Cabinet has given its approval to exclude States/Union-Territories (with Legislature) except Arunachal Pradesh, Delhi, Kerala and Madhya Pradesh from National Small Savings Fund (NSSF).
20 Jan 2017
- The government has approved the appointment of Delhi Police commissioner Alok Verma as the new CBI chief.
- Dharamsala town in Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh has been declared as the second capital city of the state by the Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh. Shimla is the first capital of Himachal Pradesh.
- Punjab Royals have bagged the Pro Wrestling League Season 2 title by defeating Haryana.
- Jan Aushadhi is a campaign launched by the Department of Pharmaceuticals in association with Central Pharma Public Sector undertakings, to provide quality medicines (generic drugs) at affordable prices.
19 Jan 2017
- Actor Salman Khan was acquitted in an Arms Act case connected to other cases of poaching endangered species because he had been booked under the wrong section of the law.
- New Delhi based Punjab National Bank signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) to provide technology platform for pilot launch of IPPB on receipt of regulatory nod from the Reserve Bank of India.
- The International Olympic Committee (IOC)and Chinese e-commerce firm Alibaba Group entered into a long-term partnership through 2028 at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland. With this, Alibaba has become the first company in the world to make a long-term commitment to the IOC as well as first Chinese company to commit to the Olympic Winter Games Beijing 2022.
18 Jan 2017
- The Bollywood Actress Priyanka Chopra won her second People’s Choice Award for Favourite Dramatic TV Actress at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles, California. She won for her role as CIA agent Alex Parrish in the ABC thriller TV series Quantico.
- India’s IT Hub, Bengaluru has been ranked at the top position in the 2017 City Momentum Index released by Jones Lang LaSalle (JLL) at the World Economic Forum Annual Meeting being held in Davos.
- Italian Political Leader Antonio Tajani has been elected as the new president of the European Parliament in Strasbourg, France. He will replace Germany’s Martin Schulz.
- A committee formed by the IIT Joint Admission Board (JAB) and headed by professor Timothy Gonsalves has recently given its suggestion to create 20 percent reservation seats for the girl students in IITs out of the total number of seats available.
- India has been ranked at 60th position among 79 developing economies with a score of only 3.38 in the Inclusive Development Index (IDI) of the World Economic Forum (WEF). WEF released its ‘Inclusive Growth and Development Report 2017’ on January 16, 2017 in Davos, Switzerland. The list has been topped by Lithuania among the 79 developing countries.
- Indian passport has been ranked a lowly 78 in a global ranking of the world’s most powerful passports which was topped by Germany.
- Karang, a small lake island in Manipur, has become the country’s first cashless island.
17 Jan 2017
- BSNL launches mobile TV service Ditto TV wherein subscriber can view live TV for 80 plus channels with 7 days back-up facility.
- YES Bank has launched a first of its kind unique Customizable Savings Account to enable the customers to design an account as per their convenience.
- Study by Oxfam Shows Richest 1% in India Holds 58% of Total Wealth.
- Kiran Doshi won The Hindu Prize 2016 at the 7th edition of The Hindu Lit for Life festival 2017 held in Chennai from January 14-16, 2017.
16 Jan 2017
- Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Monday won the Samajwadi Party symbol the cycle from his father Mulayam Singh Yadav as the Election Commission assigned the popular emblem to him.
- Cricketer-turned-politician and BJP turncoat Navjot Singh Sidhu formally joined Congress. Sidhu will contest the Amritsar East seat previously held by his wife and a part of his former Lok Sabha seat of Amritsar.
- IMD Reports 2016 as the Hottest Year since 1901 in India.
- Outgoing US President Barack Obama has signed a proclamation to declare January 16 Religious Freedom Day, to reject politics that seeks to target people because of their religion.
- Economic affairs secretary Shaktikanta Das asked Amazon on Sunday to desist from being flippant about Indian symbols and icons, cautioning it that “indifference will be at your own peril”. Amazon Canada is selling Indian tricolour doormats and slippers with Mahatma Gandhi’s photo.
15 Jan 2017
- 69th Army Day is observed. The day marks the taking over of the Indian Army by the First Indian Commander-in-Chief, Field Marshal KM Cariappa, on January 15, 1948.
- The autobiography of the veteran Indian actor Rishi Kapoor titled “Khullam Khulla: Rishi Kapoor Uncensored” was released. It is written by Rishi Kapoor along with Meena Iyer.
- 62nd Filmfare Award 2017 Winner list
- Best Film – Dangal
- Best Director – Nitesh Tiwari for Dangal
- Best Actor (Male) – Aamir Khan for Dangal
- Best Actor (Female) – Alia Bhatt for Udta Punjab
- Lifetime Achievement Award – Shatrughan Sinha
14 Jan 2017
- Ecuador is appointed as the new Chairman of the United Nations Group of 77 after Thailand, which promotes the interests of the 134 developing countries it represents at the United Nations, including China.
- India’s First Madame Tussauds Museum in Delhi.
- The Govt will sell its entire 51% stake and transfer the management control of the Helicopter service operator Pawan Hans Ltd to a strategic buyer. The company is a joint venture where state-owned ONGC Ltd holds 49% stake.
13 Jan 2017
- Japan’s Prime Minister Shinzo Abe signed a 1-trillion yen (8.7 billion dollars) aid package to the Philippines for the next five years to improve economic and political relations between the two island nations.
- To increase visibility for gender equity in the state of Bihar Gender Resource Center of Bihar’s Women Development Corporation is conducting the world’s first ‘Gender Literature Fest’ in the second week of April, 2017 at Patna.
- First time in the world analog FM radio broadcasting was ceased by Norway to promote digital-only radios.
- Airtel Payments Bank started its nationwide operations with an initial investment of Rs 3,000 crore and offering an interest rate of 7.25 percent for savings accounts. This is the first payments bank which will be opened across 29 states in India to provide financial services to the millions who are outside the banking system. The Payments Bank will offer the phone number itself as the account number and the customers can deposit up to Rs 1 lakh in their accounts on the basis of their Aadhaar number.
- President Barack Obama presented the Presidential Medal of Freedom (the highest US civilian honour) to the Vice President of US Joe Biden.
- Asian games Bronze-Medallist boxer, Sarita Devi is set to become the first ever female boxer from India to step into the world of professional boxing.
12 Jan 2017
- Tata Sons has picked Chandrasekaran, CEO of the group’s most-profitable company, Tata Consultancy Services Ltd. (TCS), as successor of Cyrus Mistry. He is the third non-Tata Chairman of Tata Sons Ltd.
- Country’s largest IT services company Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) today announced Rajesh Gopinathan as the new CEO and NG Subramaniam as president and COO of the company.”Mr Gopinathan takes over from Mr N Chandrasekaran who has been appointed as the Chairman of Tata Sons.
- The Birth anniversary of social reformer, philosopher and thinker Swami Vivekananda celebrated as National Youth Day.
11 Jan 2017
- Former wrestler Mahavir Singh Phogat’s biography ‘Akhada’ released.
- The Child Sex ratio at birth (SRB)in the State of Haryana crossed the 900-mark in the year 2016 for the first time in almost two decades.
- Shalabh Seth has appointed as the CEO of Ola Fleet Technologies by Indian online transportation network company Ola.
10 Jan 2017
- FIFA Football Awards 2016, Zurich, Switzerland.
- The Best FIFA Men’s Player Award – Cristiano Ronaldo
- The Best FIFA Women’s Player Award – Carli Lloyd
- Kalyan Krishnamurthy has been named the new Chief Executive Officer(CEO) of Flipkart on January 9, 2017. He will replace Sachin Bansal.
- January 10th celebrated as 11th World Hindi Day.
- Amitabh Bachchan gets US Embassy award for fighting TB.
9 Jan 2017
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched Pravasi Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PKVY), as skill development program targeted at Indian youth seeking overseas employment. PKVY will provide training and certify Indians who are seeking overseas employment in selected sectors in line with International Standards.
8 Jan 2017
- Gen, Raheel sharif to head Islamic Military Alliance. Raheel retired as the army Chief in November and has been succeeded by General Qamar Javed Bajwa.
- Sania Mirza wins Brisbane International Women’s doubles title but loses No.1 rank.
- Serbian Tennis Ace Novak Djokovic defeated Andy Murray to defend his Qatar Open title.
7 Jan 2017
- The 3 day, 14th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD) convention is held in Bengaluru with theme “Role of Diaspora Youth”.
- Tata Motors and Castrol entered into three-year strategic partnership agreement for supply of Commercial Vehicle Oils to Tata Motors that will cover over 50 markets including SAARC and ASEAN region, Middle East, Africa, Russia and Latin America.
6 Jan 2017
- Indian Skipper, Virat Kohli was officially named as the Indian Cricket Team’s New Captain for all the three formats.
- Veteran actor Om Puri passes away at 66 after cardiac arrest.
- China launched its longest bullet train named “Shangri-la of the World”. It runs between Kunming, capital of southwest China’s Yunnan Province to Beijing.
- GoI impose anti-dumping duty on Jute from Bangladesh and Nepal for five years.
- Online automobile marketplace Droom has tied up with Axis Bank to provide quick sanction of loans on both new as well as used cars.
- The 10 day, 2017 Island Tourism Festival is held at Port Blair in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
5 Jan 2017
- Indian Cricketer, Mahendra Singh Dhoni stepped down as the captain of the Indian team in limited over formats just ahead of the ODI series to be against England in January 2017. He had given up the Test captaincy in December 2014, when he retired from the format after the Melbourne Test. However, Dhoni has been India’s most successful captain. Under his leadership India have won the ICC T20 World Cup in 2007, the ICC ODI World Cup in 2011, ICC Champions Trophy in 2013 and also reached the top of the Test rankings in 2009.
- Book on Dr. Kalam titled “The People’s President: Dr. A P J Abdul Kalam” was released. It has been written by Shri S.M. Khan who served as the Press Secretary to President Kalam.
- Technology giant IBM has appointed Karan Bajwa as the Managing Director of its India operations. He succeeded Vanitha Narayana, who has been elevated as Chairman of IBM India.
- Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) has tied up with Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) to give a boost to the venture capital ecosystem for MSMEs.
- People’s Republic of China launched its first freight train to London (UK) with the aim to improve trade ties and strengthen connectivity with Britain and Western Europe.
4 Jan 2017
- Justice Jagadish Singh Kehar was sworn in as the Chief Justice of India. Kehar succeeded T.S. Thakur as the 44th Chief Justice of India (CJI).
- Former Portuguese Prime Minister Antonio Guterres has been sworn in as Secretary – General of the United Nations, as the ninth UN Chief.
- Finland has become the first country in the world to give some basic income to
unemployed citizens to tackle unemployment and ensure a universal income offering greater security, especially as technological advances reduce the need for human labor.
- Germany-based Munich Reinsurance Company is one of the first foreign reinsurers to receive approval for a dedicated branch in India following the 2015 amendment of the Insurance Bill. It is opening its branch office in Mumbai to provide the property-casualty, life, health reinsurance markets across India.
- Yes Bank has entered into a tie-up with Bajaj Electricals for vendor financing using blockchain solution.Blockchain solutions are a distributed database that maintains a continuously-growing list of ordered records called blocks. ICICI Bank is the India’s first bank to execute its first transaction on blockchain.
- Mobile commerce and payments company, Paytm received the final approval from the Reserve Bank of India to launch Paytm Payment Bank. It will sell products such as loans, wealth management and insurance to drive revenues. Its first branch will be in Noida, Uttar Pradesh.
- Google India has launched two new initiatives named My Business and Digital Unlocked for the small and medium businesses in India. My Business tool will enable small businesses to set up website from their mobile devices i.e. smart phones. This toll has been first launched in India and from here it will be taken to other countries. Digital Unlocked programme will impart mobile and online courses to help small businesses to enable the small businessman to adapt them with the changing technologies. Google in association with FICCI and Indian School of Business has launched this programme.
- United Nation Recognises 2017 – Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development.
- Every year World Braille Day is observed on 4th January across the world to commemorate the birthday of Louis Braille who is credited with inventing the Braille language which helps blind people to read as well as write.
3 Jan 2017
- HDFC has tied-up with artificial intelligence firm Niki.ai to launch a chatbot called OnChat on Facebook’s Messenger platform, that will allow users to recharge phones, pay utility bills, book cabs from Ola or Uber etc, through chat.
- Coca-Cola India and its largest bottling partner Hindustan Coca-Cola beverages have partnered the SBI to enable over 2.6 million retailers and 5000 distributors in conducting business transactions digitally.
- The Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) directed that Service charges billed by restaurants are optional and it is up to the customers to pay it.
2 Jan 2017
- General Bipin Rawat has taken charge as the new “Chief of Army Staff”.
- Air marshal Birender Singh Dhanoa took charge as the next Air Force Chief. Arup Raha retired from Indian Air Force Chief Position.
- Bank of Baroda ties up with CNX Corporation to provide collateral management services towards the loans against warehouse receipt sanctioned to the farmers through the network of the bank’s branches across the country to benefit the farmers from distress sale of their commodities.
- The Supreme Court has removed BCCI President Anurag Thakur and Secretary Ajay Shirke from the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), for failing to implement the reforms suggested by the RM Lodha panel to reform BCCI.
- India successfully conducted the test firing of the nuclear-capable strategic ballistic missile, Agni IV from the Abdul Kalam Island, Balasore, off the Odisha coast. Agni IV is a two-stage solid-propelled, surface-to-surface ballistic missile which is designed to carry a payload of 1-tonne up to a distance of 4,000 km.
1 Jan 2017
- An extra second was added to the Indian clock at 5:29.59 hours at the National Physical Laboratory (NPL). The ‘leap second’ was added to the Indian clock to synchronize the Indian Standard Time (IST) with the Earth’s Rotational Clock. The atomic clock was programmed to add an extra second to 2017 to compensate for a slowdown in the Earth’s rotation.
- China announced a plan to ban all ivory trade and processing activities by the end of 2017, to prevent the mass killing and threat of extinction of African elephants.
- E-Commerce leader Com (AMZN) has been awarded a US-patent for a flying warehouse that would act as a launch pad for its drones that the company plans to use to deliver certain products to customers doorsteps. It says it will use UAV or “Unmanned aerial Vehicles” (drones) to deliver items from airborne fulfillment centers, or AFCs to customers.
- Sikkim has become India’s first fully organic state by converting around 75,000 hectares of agricultural land in sustainable cultivation.