30 Sept 2017
- Gujarat Tourism has won “Hall of Fame” award for being the Best State in Comprehensive Development of Tourism category at National Tourism Award function.
- An Indian Police Service Officer of UP Cadre, Aparna Kumar became the first Indian woman to scale Mount Manaslu, which is the 8th highest mountain peak in the world.
- Indian football team has qualified for AFC U-16 Championship to be held next year in Malaysia after finishing 2nd in their group qualifying round played in Kathmandu.
- President Kovind has appointed 5 new Governors for the states of Arunachal Pradesh, Bihar, Tamil Nadu, Assam & Meghalaya. BD Mishra was appointed as the Governor of Arunachal Pradesh while Satya Malik & Jagdish Mukhi were appointed as the governors of Bihar & Assam respectively. Banwarilal Purohit was appointed as the Governor of Tamil Nadu while Ganga Prasad was made the governor of Meghalaya.
29 Sept 2017
- Priyanka Chopra has made it to Forbes’ annual top 10 highest paid female TV actors list that has Sofia Vergara on the No.1 spot.
- Bengaluru is the world’s most affordable technology hub, according to a study conducted by Knight Frank LLP.
- Tata Capital has announced the appointment of Rajiv Sabharwal as Managing Director & CEO designate of the company.
- Swiggy has appointed former Olam International executive Rahul Bothra as its 1st chief financial officer.
- India leapt up the global rankings by 12 places to take 14th spot in terms of best country for expats to live & work in, says an HSBC survey.
28 Sept 2017
- Madhya Pradesh has won the ‘Best Tourism State’ national award for the third consecutive year.
- The 5th Asian Indoor and Martial Arts Games concluded at Ashgabat in Turkmenistan. On the concluding day Indians grabbed 4 medals, including a gold through tennis player Sumit Nagal, to end at 11th place. With 9 gold, 12 silver & 19 bronze, India finished at 11th position in the Games.
27 Sept 2017
- Google, BHEL and State Bank of India have been named as the top three best places to work in India by leading global job site Indeed.
- The Ministry of Shipping has issued a notification renaming Kandla Port Trust as Deendayal Port Trust with effect from 25th of September, 2017. Kandla Port, located on the Gulf of Kutch in Gujarat, is one of the 12 major ports in the country.
- India will be hosting the South Asian boxing Championship for the first time in Guwahati from December 6 to 10.
- Joao Lourenco has been sworn in as president of Angola, becoming the first new leader in the oil-rich southern African nation in almost 4 decades.
- Russia has floated out the world’s largest nuclear-powered icebreaker ship “Sibir” as the country moves to reinforce its leadership in the Arctic.
26 Sept 2017
- ICC’s revamped playing rules are all set to become effective in all series starting September 28. Significant changes include a restriction on the dimensions of the bat & changes to Decision Review System.
- Noted Odia poet and short story writer Banaj Devi will be honoured with the 38th edition of the prestigious Sarala award.
- Shashi Shanker has been appointed as the chairman and managing director of India’s biggest oil and gas producer ONGC.
- According to a report, Sebi Chairman Ajay Tyagi has been named among the top 10 regulators in the world.
- SBI has lowered the minimum average monthly balance, requirement in a savings account to Rs. 3,000 from Rs. 5,000 and also revised downwards penalties for non-adherence.
25 Sept 2017
- Niti Aayog member Bibek Debroy will head the Economic Advisory Council constituted by PM Modi.
- Apple and Google have once again take the two top spots in a list of the world’s 100 most valuable brands, according to rankings by consultancy group Interbrand.
- East Bengal registered a record-extending eighth consecutive Calcutta Football League title by holding Mohun Bagan to a 2-2 draw. East Bengal have won all the CFL titles since 2010. They have a total of 39 CFL titles – a record haul.
- World number 2 Roger Federer handed Team Europe the maiden Laver Cup title after beating Team World’s Nick Kyrgios in a tie-break.
- Angela Merkel is set for a 4th term as Germany’s chancellor after her centre right CDU/CSU won a projected 33% of the vote in federal election.
- Olympic silver medallist shuttler P.V. Sindhu has been recommended for the prestigious Padma Bhushan by the Sports Ministry.
- Eruch N Kapadia will be the next chief financial officer at Tata Sons, the holding company that controls India’s oldest and biggest conglomerate.
- Indian shuttler Vaishnavi Reddy has clinched the women’s singles Under-19 title at the Belgian Junior Open badminton tournament.
24 Sept 2017
- Google Doodle celebrates 100th birthday of a renowned Indian chemist, Asima Chatterjee, who was also thefirst female Doctorate of Science in India from an Indian University.
- On 22nd September 2017, Rajkummar Rao was awarded the GQ Actor of the Year Award, in Mumbai.
- The government has extended the term of Chief Economic Adviser Arvind Subramanian by one year till October 2018 announced on 23rd of Sept. 2017.
- Vanlalawmpuii Chawngthu became the second woman in Mizoram to be inducted in the state’s council of ministers after a gap of 30 years.
- Rajnikant Mishra will be the new Chief of Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB).
- Mary Kom has become the first Indian to be selected as the International Boxing Association’s (AIBA) representative for the IOC Athletes’ Forum to be held in November, 2017.
- Sasi Kumar Mukund of India had won his second straight Futures title. He defeated Arjun Khade by 6-3, 6-4 in the singles final of the LMW ITF Men’s Futures tennis tournament on 24th Sept. 2017.
- The book titled “The Shershah of Kargil” is a biography of Kargil war hero Late Captain Vikram Batra, who was posthumously awarded Param veer Chakra (PVC) – the highest gallantry award of India.
23 Sept 2017
- According to the Forbes Real-Time Billionaires List, Hui Ka Yan, the chairman of Chinese real estate giant Evergrande Group, has become Asia’s richest man, with a net worth of $41.1 billion.
- An Indian, Kheyti, a Hyderabad-based startup has won a prestigious award and a cash prize of USD 42,000 in Israel on September 17,2017 for developing an affordable modular greenhouse that aims to give farmers a steady and dependable income.
- Riz Ahmed has become the first man of Asian t to win an acting award at the 69th Emmy Award.He is a British actor of Pakistani descent.
- Professor C.N.R Rao, has become the first Asian to be chosen for the prestigious Von Hippel Award for his contribution in materials research.
- Global IT and networking major Cisco has appointed Chuck Robbins as the Executive Chairman of the company announced on 19th Sept. 2017.
- India’s high commissioner to Pak Gautam Bambawale has been appointed as the ambassador to China on 17th of Sept. 2017.
- Los Angeles has received its official go-ahead to host the 2028 Olympics from the International Olympic Committee’s evaluation commission.
- Chinaman bowler Kuldeep Yadav has become the first Indian spinner to take a hat-trick in ODI cricket during the second match of the ongoing series against Australia at Eden Gardens, Kolkata on 22nd Sept. 2017.
- Indian professional badminton player, Rio Olympic silver medalist PUSARLA V. Sindhu has jumped two places to the second spot in the BWF (Badminton World Federation) women’s singles ranking.
22 Sept 2017
- On 21st September 2017, Mazagon Dock Ltd delivered INS Kalvari, the first scorpene-class submarine to Indian Navy, in Mumbai.
- On 21st September 2017, the Himachal Pradesh government started electric bus service for the first time, in Rohtang Pass.
- Bollywood film ‘Newton’ becomes India’s official entry in the Foreign Language Film category at the 2018 Oscars.
- Jaideep Mazumdar presently Ambassador of India to the Republic of the Philippines has appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Palau.
- Umesh Chand Asawa has been elected to member of the managing committee of the Indian Banks Association (IBA), Mumbai. He is currently the Managing Director & CEO, A.P. Mahesh Co-operative Urban Bank Ltd.
- Balraj Joshi is appointed the Chairman-cum-Managing Director (CMD) of NHPC Ltd. announced on 22nd of Sept. 2017.
21st Sept 2017
- Dr.Sekhar Basu, Chairman of Atomic Energy Commission and Secretary of Department of Atomic Energy attended the 61st IAEA General Conference held in Vienna, Austria.
- The Board of National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) has appointed of B Sambamurthy as interim Chairman of the Board announced on 21st Sept. 2017.
- Ms. Vani Sarraju Rao presently Ambassador of lndia to Finland, has been appointed as the next Ambassador of lndia to the Republic of Estonia.
- A Nigerian lawyer Zannah Mustapha was awarded with UNHCR top UN peace prize on 19th Sept. 2017.
- Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has imposed a five-year ban and a fine of one million rupees on batsman Khalid Latif for his involvement in spot-fixing during the PSL.
- The official emblem and slogan for FIFA Women’s World Cup France 2019 were unveiled in Paris, France. The slogan of the tournament “Dare To Shine” reflects the development of football, especially women’s football.
20 Sept 2017
- On September 19 2017,Vice President Venkaiah Naidu unveiled commemorative coins of Rs 100 and Rs 10 denominations on the birth centenary musician Bharat Ratna M S Subbulakshmi and inaugurated an exhibition entitled “Kurai Onrum Illai-MS: Life in Music” nearly two-week-long exhibition.
- On 20th September 2017, Tata Steel and German steel company ThyssenKrupp signed a MoU to combine their European steel operations in a 50-50 joint venture, in Frankfurt.
- On 17th September 2017, Indian Government appointed Mr.Ajay Bisaria as Indian High Commissioner to Pakistan.
- On 19th September 2017, India TV Chairman and Editor-In-Chief Rajat Sharma was elected as the new President of the News Broadcasters Association (NBA) for 2017-18.
- On 20th September 2017, three Indians were listed in Forbes ‘100 Greatest Living Business Minds’ list. Three Indians – Lakshmi Mittal, Ratan Tata and Vinod Khosla were listed in Forbes special list of the world’s ‘100 Greatest Living Business Minds’.
- On 20th September 2017, The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) nominated Mahendra Singh Dhoni for the Padma Bhushan award. MS Dhoni has already received Arjuna, Rajeev Gandhi Khel Ratna and the Padma Shri awards.
- On September 20 2017, ISKCON’s Govardhan Eco village has received the ‘spirit of humanity’award, instituted by AmeriCares, a non-profit organisation working for disaster relief and global health, in the ‘livelihood’ category.
19 Sept 2017
- On Sep 18 ,2017 Jammu and Kashmir governor N N Vohra inaugurated the second International Yoga Festival and International Yoga Sports Championship 2017 in which about 300 people from various parts of India, Vietnam, Taiwan, Canada, Bulgaria, USA and Nepal are participating.
- On 18th September 2017, Vice President Ms.Mercedes Araoz was appointed as new Prime Minister of Peru by President Mr. Pedro Pablo Kuczynski, in Lima.
- On 18th September 2017, Uttarakhand Chief Minister Mr.Trivendra Singh Rawat announced the appointment of Bollywood actor Mr.Akshay Kumar as the brand ambassador of the Swachh Bharat Mission in Uttarakhand.
- On 18th September 2017, Ms.Raquel Dodge became the first woman General Prosecutor of Brazil, in Brasilia.
- Twitter a Micro-blogging website has appointed Indian-born Sriram Krishnan as Senior Director of Product announced on 19th Sept. 2017.
- On 18th September 2017, Swayam Shikshan Prayog (SSP), a Pune-based non-governmental organisation (NGO) working for women farmers, won 2017 UN Equator Prize.
- On September 18,2017 Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust (JNPT) was awarded the “Rajbhasha Kirti Puraskar” for the 11th consecutive time . It won in the category of ‘B’ region for autonomous bodies and boards, for its excellent implementation of the Official Language.
- SS Rajamouli has received the ANR National Award from Vice-President Venkaiah Naidu on 17th of Sept. 2017. He has received the award for his contribution to the Telugu film industry in Hyderabad.
- On 17th September 2017, Ana Carrasco of Spain became the first female to win an individual World Championship motorbike race, in Portugal.
- On 18th September 2017, British cyclist Mark Beaumont set a new world record by cycling around the world in 79 days, in Paris.
18 Sept 2017
- Senior Indian Police Service (IPS) officer Y C Modi is appointed as the new director general of the National Investigation Agency (NIA) announced on 18th of Sept. 2017.
- On 16th September 2017, Former DIG D Roopa, who revealed alleged irregularities at the central jail in Bengaluru, was awarded the President’s medal, in Bengaluru.
- Google has launched its Unified Payments Interface (UPI)-based digital payment service by the name ‘Tez’ in India announced on 18th of Sept. 2017.
- On 14th September 2017, International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) announced that the snow leopard which was considered to be a long endangered species has been upgraded to ‘vulnerable’ status.
- On 17th September 2017, Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton won the Formula 1 Singapore Grand Prix, in Singapore. He was followed by Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo in the 2nd position and Mercedes’ Valtteri Bottas in the 3rd.
- West Indies legend Chris Gayle has become the first batsman to hit 100 sixes in the shortest format of the game during their Twenty20 International match.
17 Sept 2017
- India’s first Lithium-ion battery Unit will be set up in Gujrat, will be operational from 2020.
- HDFC Bank has retained its No.1 position in the BrandZ India Top 50 report of the year 2017.
- On 14th September 2017, the Advertising Club elected Mr.Vikram Sakhuja, Group Chief Executive Officer – Media and OOH, Madison Communications as its President.
- On 14th September 2017, Ms.Abanti Sankaranarayanan, Chief Strategy and Corporate Affairs Officer, Diageo India, has been elected as the chairperson of the board of The Advertising Standards Council of India (ASCI).
- On 15th September 2017, Salman Khan was awarded Global Diversity Award at Britain’s House of Commons, in London.
- The Hindu Group was awarded two gold and one silver at the South Asian Digital Media Awards at the WAN-IFRA (World Association of Newspapers and News Publishers) India 2017 conference, in Chennai.
- Indian badminton player PV Sindhu won the women’s singles title at the Korean Open Super Series 2017 by defeating Japanese player Nozomi Okuhara, in Seoul, South Korea.
- In the latest ICC T20 rankings of batsmen Indian captain Virat Kohli has remained on top spot with 826 points.
- Pakistan beat World XI to clinch the final Twenty20 match and the series at Lahore’s Gaddafi Stadium on 15thof Sept. 2017.
16 Sept 2017
- On September 15,2017 ayurveda sytudents from across the country have set a new Guinness World Record for maximum number of people receiving ‘nasya panchakarma’treatment at 1st Rashtriya Ayurved Yuva Mahotsav, the national event for students of ayurveda., organised by the National Ayurveda Student Youth Association (NASYA) in association with the Department of AYUSH.
- Mr.Ban Ki-moon has been elected as the head of IOC’s Ethics Commission for a term of 4 years.
- On 14th September 2017, India’s first foreign coach for women boxers Mr.Stephane Cottalorda resigned from his position within 1 month of joining.
- On 15th September 2017, Mr.Suresh Chitturi, Managing Director of Srinivasa Farms, was appointed as Vice-Chairman of International Egg Commission, in Belgium.
- On 15th September 2017, The Marine Products Export Development Authority (MPEDA) was awarded National level Rajbhasha Keerti Award.
- The book titled Unstoppable: My Life So Far is authored by tennis star Maria Sharapova was launched in September 2017.
15 Sept 2017
- On 13th September 2017, Global ranking for the least and most stressful cities of the world was released, by a firm called Zipjet, in London. Stuttgart,Germany is at the top ,Bangalore 130th and, New Delhi 142nd.
- According to the Henley & Partners – Kochenov Quality of Nationality Index (QNI) Germany’s quality of nationality is ranked first in the world. It was launched in London on 13th of Sept. 2017.
- On September 13,2017 UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has appointed the outgoing president of the General Assembly Peter Thomson as the first special envoy for the oceans.
- On 14th September 2017, Mr.Harsh Kumar Jain was appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Slovak Republic, in New Delhi.
- On 14th September 2017, Vijaya Bank was awarded the first prize under the Rajbhasha Kirti Puraskar (Region C) for the year 2016-2017.
- On 13th September 2017, Rishabh Shah of Mumbai, bagged two bronze medals in the Under-14 Rapid and Blitz formats of the 2nd Western Asia Youth Chess Championship in Sri Lanka.
- Engineers day was celebrated all over India on 15th september every year by engineering community. It is celebrated as a tribute to the greatest Indian Engineer Bharat Ratna Mokshagundam Visvesvaraya.
14 Sept 2017
- On 12th September 2017, Indian cricket icon Sachin Tendulkar launched Mission 24 —to improve the quality of life in one of Mumbai’s poorest wards, in Mumbai.
- India has been ranked 103 on Global Human Capital Index 2017 released by World Economic Forum (WEF). India has scored the least among the BRICS countries.
- On 11th September 2017, Global Financial Centres Index 2017 was released, in which London has retained its 1 rank despite major issues regarding Brexit. Mumbai has managed to get 60th rank in the list.
- Mahendra Pratap Mall has appointed as the Chairman and Managing Director of Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation Limited (IRCTC) announced on 12th Sept. 2017.
- The Union Government has appointed M Nagaraja Sharma as the Chairman and Managing director of United India Insurance (UII) announced on 13th of Sept. 2017.
- On 13th September 2017, Goa’s Sports Minister Mr.Manohar Ajgaonkar said that Goa would host the 36th National Games, in Goa.
- Maharashtra has won the Chief Minister’s cup at National kickboxing championship. It has 45 gold medals.
13 Sept 2017
- On 11th September 2017, India has started producing ‘Civet Coffee’ the most expensive coffee in the world, in Karnataka.
- On 13th September 2017, Ms.Halima Yacob was declared as the first ever female President of Singapore, in Singapore.Ms. Halimah Yacob was selected as the President without election.
- US President Donald Trump has appointed Indian-American Raj Shah as Principal Deputy Press Secretary in US announced on 13th Sept. 2017.
- The 74th annual Venice International Film Festival was held from 30 August to 9 September 2017. The most important award is the Golden Lion at the Venice Biennale and considered one of the most prestigious film awards, like the Golden Palm in Cannes and the Golden Bear of Berlin. Details of the awards:
1 – Golden Lion – The Shape of Water, directed by Guillermo del Toro
2 – Grand Jury Prize – Foxtrot, directed by Samuel Maoz
3 – Silver Lion – Best Director Xavier Legrand, Jusqu’à la Garde
4 – Volpi Cup – Best Actress Charlotte Rampling, Hannah
5 – Volpi Cup – Best Actor Kamel El Basha, The Insult
6 – Best Screenplay – Martin McDonagh, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
- On 7th September 2017, Raghunandan Industries Private Limited was awarded Krishi Pragati Award 2017, by National Commodity & Derivatives Exchange Limited (NCDEX), in New Delhi.
- On 13th September 2017, Jawaharlal Nehru Port Container Terminal (JNPCT) was awarded “Container Terminal of the Year” Award, in Mumbai.
- On 12th September 2017, Asian Games gold medalist Priyanka Panwar was suspended for eight years after she tested positive for a banned performance enhancing drug, in New Delhi.
12 Sept 2017
- Bharat Financial Inclusion signs pact with IndusInd Bank to explore merger. Indusind Bank CEO is Mr.Romesh Sobti.
- On 11th September 2017, Badminton Association of India (BAI) announced that it would award its first Lifetime Achievement Award to Prakash Padukone, in Kochi.
- On 11th September 2017, TCS (Tata Consultancy Services) appeared in Fortune’s annual list of the Top 50 companies that are changing the world.
- On 12th September 2017, Indian economist Ms.Bina Agarwal was announced the Balzan Prize, which is to be awarded in Bern, Switzerland, in November 2017.
- US Open Tennis 2017 Winners:
- Men’s Singles – Rafael Nadal
- Women’s Singles – Sloane Stephens
- Men’s Doubles – Jean-Julien Rojer and Horia Tecau
- Women’s Doubles – Chan Yung-Jan and Martina Hingis
- On 9th September 2017, Indian tennis player Sumit Nagal won the ITF Futures tournament, in Chennai.
11 Sept 2017
- The traditional Bonderam festival has started in Divar Island of Goa on 9th September 2017. The word “Bonderam” originated from the involvement of flags.
- Hurricane Irma has become the first storm in the world to sustain winds of 185 miles per hour for more than 24 hours. It’s the longest storm to sustain this speed since the 1970s.
- During a ceremony at Germany’s Lagau on the occasion of the One World Festival Sikkim Chief Minister Pawan Chamling was honoured for his pioneering work in the field of organic farming.
- On 9th September 2017, Joycilline Jepkosgei of Kenya broke her own 10 km road world record, in Prague, Czech Republic.
10 Sept 2017
- India has won 2nd South Asian Basketball, SABA, Under – 16 Championship.
- Amazon has announced the opening of its largest fulfillment center in the country in Hyderabad.
- Sloane Stephens won the first major title of her career after defeating Madison Keys 6-3, 6-0 in the final of the 2017 U.S. Open.
- Prince Charles has become the longest-serving Prince of Wales in history
- Congress has appointed party lawmaker Sushmita Dev as the chief of Mahila Congress.
9 Sept 2017
- James Anderson became the sixth bowler and first Englishman to take 500 Test wickets.
- Former Indian men’s national squash champion Harinder Pal Sandhu won his fifth professional title in a row when he emerged victorious at the 10th leg of the Malaysian Tour.
- Satya Nadella, one of the most celebrated Indians in the global technology sector, has penned the inside story of his journey of becoming the CEO of software giant Microsoft. The book, titled ‘Hit Refresh’ is co-authored by Greg Shaw and Jill Tracie Nichols.
- According to a study by industry chambers Assocham, Karnataka stands at top among the states in terms of manufacturing excellence.
- The Unique Identification Authority of India’s CEO A.B. Pandey has been appointed as the interim chairman of the goods and services tax network.
8 September 2017
- Senior IAS officer N Baijendra Kumar has taken charge as the CMD of state-owned NMDC.
- Holland’s Sjoerd Marijne has taken over as the head coach of the India men’s hockey team following the sacking of fellow Dutchman Roelant Oltmans.
- Indian grappler Sonam clinched the gold medal at the Cadet World Wrestling Championship in Athens.
7 September 2017
- Viveck Goenka, Chairman & Managing Director of the Express Group was unanimously elected Chairman of Press Trust of India.
- Virat Kohli became the fastest to score 15,000 runs in international cricket, achieving the feat in 333 innings pushing Hashim Amla, who did so in 336 innings, to the second place.
- Energy Efficiency Services Limited has launched UJALA (Unnat Jyoti by Affordable Lighting for All) Scheme in Melaka, Malaysia.
6 September 2017
- India will host the 2019 edition of the Commonwealth (Youth, Junior and Senior) Weightlifting Championships.
- Dr Virendra Kumar has taken charge as the Minister of State for Women and Child Development.
- Indian shooter Ankur Mittal settled for the silver medal in the double trap event of the International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) World Shotgun Championship.
- KV Rama Moorthy has assumed charge as Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Tamilnad Mercantile Bank.
5th September 2017
- Karur Vysya Bank has announced the appointment of P.R. Seshadri as its managing director and chief executive officer.
- National Teachers Day is observed every year on 5th September in India to commemorate birthday of Dr Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan.
- Infosys co-founder Narayana Murthy was conferred the PLuS Alliance Prize, prize given for global leadership.
- Star India has piped 23 top companies participating in the auction to win the Indian Premier League media rights for a period of five years from 2018-2022.
- Karnataka Bank has bagged the ‘best bank’ award among small banks for use of technology for financial inclusion at the 13th IDRBT Banking Technology Excellence Awards 2016-17.
4th September 2017
- The Central Board of Direct Taxes was honoured by Minister of State for Personnel Jitendra Singh for successfully resolving public grievances.
- India’s Konsam Ormila Devi bagged a gold medal in 44kg weight category of the Commonwealth Youth (boys & girls) weightlifting championships, held at Gold Coast, Australia.
- AMD presented a new line of microprocessor chips called ‘Ryzen Pro’ for commercial desktop workstations to be available in India and other countries by end of 2017.
- Vasant Narasimhan will be elevated as chief executive of Novartis in February 2018.
- Rajyavardhan Rathore replaced Vijay Goel as the new Sports Minister in the latest cabinet reshuffle of the Narendra Modi govt.
- Tejasvi Duduka from Hyderabad won the women’s singles of U.S. Open Grand Slam Carrom tournament.
- Former India skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni became the first wicketkeeper in the history of One-day Internationals to effect 100 stumpings.
- The world’s largest and powerful X-ray laser- European X-ray Free Electron Laser presented in Hamburg, Germany. XFEL is the world’s third major X-ray laser facility.
- Lewis Hamilton was first, while Valtteri Bottas and Sebastian Vettel came second and third respectively in the 2017 Italian grand prix.
- Thirty-five years since India’s defence ministry last saw a woman at its helm, there is another: Nirmala Sitharaman – India’s first woman defence minister.
3rd September 2017
- Hyderabad International Airport Ltd bagged the National Award for ‘Excellence’ in Energy Management at a conference hosted by the CII.
- Ajay Vipin Nanavati has assumed charge as Chairman of Syndicate Bank.
- IDRBT, an arm of the RBI is developing a model platform for blockchain technology.
- The BJP-led coalition Cabinet of Goa passed an amendment granting coconut palm the status of “State tree”.
2nd September 2017
- Sanjaya Baru has taken over as the Secretary General of Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry.
- Hockey India has sacked national coach Roelant Oltmans after a string of unimpressive outings at the international level.
- IAS officer Anita Karwal has been appointed as the new chairperson of Central Board of Secondary Education.
- Govt has given interim charge of Coal India Ltd Chairman to Gopal Singh, Chairman of Central Coalfields.
- Ajay Bijli, Chairman & MD of PVR, will receive “Exhibitor of the Year” Award at CineAsia Awards Ceremony in Hong Kong.
- For the first time in 27 years, the Assam govt has on its own extended the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act for 6 months.
- Wildcard entrant Gaurav Bidhuri’s remarkable run at World Boxing Championships ended with a bronze medal after he lost his semi final clash to Duke Ragan in Hamburg.
- Gujarat’s commercial capital Ahmedabad was formally accorded the status of India’s first World Heritage City by UNESCO.
1st September 2017
- The Ministry of Mines has appointed Santosh Sharma as Chairman and Managing Director of Hindustan Copper for a period of five years.
- National Nutrition Week will be observed throughout India from 1st to 7th September.
- Noted economist Rajiv Kumar today took over as the vice-chairman of government think tank Niti Aayog.
- Housing finance company, DHFL has elevated Harshil Mehta as Joint Managing Director & CEO of the company with effect from September 1.
- JY Pillay, an Indian-origin veteran civil servant, was appointed as Singapore’s acting president until a new head of state is sworn in later in September.
- Senior bureaucrat Rajiv Mehrishi has been appointed to lead the country’s top audit body Comptroller and Auditor General.
- Govt has appointed former I&B secretary Sunil Arora as the Election Commissioner.