15 Oct 2017
- South Pacific island nation of Vanuatu has become the first country in the world to accept Bitcoin in exchange for citizenship.
- Singer T M Krishna has won 30th Indira Gandhi Award for National Integration for the year 2015 and 2016.
- 12-year old Indian girl Poorvi G B has been awarded the ‘best performer’ subtitle at the ‘Little Miss World 2017’ pageant held in Greece.
- On 13th October 2017, all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan became the first cricketer from Bangladesh to be inducted in the MCC World Cricket Committee.
- On October 15, 2017, Maria Sharapova of Russia beat Aryna Sabalenka of Belarusby 7-5 7-6 (10-8) in the final match of Tianjin Open tennis tournament.
- On October 15, 2017, Roger Federer of Switzerland beat Rafael Nadal of Spain by 6-4 6-3 to win the final match of Shanghai Masters tennis tournament.
- India’s young paddler Selena Selvakumar,17 won gold medal in the Junior Girls Team event to annex the 2017 Egypt Junior and Cadet Table-Tennis Open.
14 Oct 2017
- Eminent writer Namita Gokhale has been nominated for the first Centenary National Award for Literature, for her outstanding literary contributions.
- On 13th October 2017, UNESCO’s executive board voted to make former French government minister, Audrey Azoulay, the U.N. cultural agency, UNESCO’s next chief.
- National Centre for Combustion Research and Development (NCCRD), world’s largest combustion research centre was inaugurated at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Madras on October 13, 2017.
- A documentary on Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal, titled ‘An Insignificant Man’, is to be released on 17th November 2017 in theatres.
13 Oct 2017
- On 26th – 31st October 2017, Kolkata is to host an international Puppet festival named ‘PUN (Puppets Unite Neighbours) International Puppet Festival’ at Mohorkunj, Kolkata.
- Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd (HPCL), a public sector oil company has started selling lubricants in Myanmar. With this move, HPCL has become first oil company of India to start marketing lubricants in Myanmar.
- On 12th October 2017, Mathrubhumi Managing Director M P Veerendra Kumar announced that, famous critic, biographer and orator M K Sanu has been chosen for the Mathrubhumi Literary Award for 2016.
- On 13th October 2017, Samsung Electronics Co Ltd announced that, its Vice Chairman and CEO, Oh-Hyun Kwon, had decided to step down from management.
- On 13th October 2017, MobiKwik, mobile wallet service and payment gateway provider, announced the appointment of Rukaiya Rangwala as the Business Head of ‘MobiKwik Payment Gateway’.
- On 12th October 2017, India’s High Commissioner to Pakistan, Gautam H. Bambawale was appointed as next ambassador to People’s Republic of China.
- On October 11th 2017, Tata-SIA joint venture airline named Vistara pads up for the launch of international operations 2018, announced the appointment of its new Chief Executive Officer Leslie Thng who takes charge in the month October, 2017.
- On 11th Oct. 2017, India won against Macau at the Sree Kanteerava stadium and secured the path into the 2019 AFC Asian Cup in the United Arab Emirates.
- Switzerland’s Esther Staubli is set to become the first female football referee to officiate a match at the FIFA U-17 World Cup when Japan takes on New Caledonia in the final round group E match on October 14, 2017 at Salt Lake Stadium in Kolkata.
12 Oct 2017
- India has ranked at 100th position among 119 countries on the Global Hunger Index (GHI), 2017. This year’s ranking marks a drop of three positions as compared to 97th rank in Global Hunger Index 2016.
- On October 10, 2017, American financial technology company Mastercard launched its first innovation lab in India in Pune, Maharashtra.
- On 10th October 2017, Prakash Raj, actor and film-maker, received the Kota Shivaram Karanth Huttura Prashasti award, at the Kota Shivaram Karanth Theme Park, in Kota, Udupi district of Karnataka.
- On 12th October 2017, HSBC announced that, it has appointed John Flint as its next CEO, in London.
- On 11th October 2017, Yuvraj Singh was announced as the first Indian ambassador of Laureus at an event in Mumbai.
- The Pakistan football federation was suspended from FIFA (Fédération Internationale de Football Association) by the Bureau of FIFA council on 10th Oct 2017. The reason behind the suspension was the “Interference of third party” in PFF i.e, the PFF accounts and their offices were under the control of an administrator appointed by court and this actually violated the rules of FIFA that it should manage its affairs independently and without the interference of third parties.
- Arjen robben, the 33 years old football player announced his retirement news from the international football. He played for Bayern Munich, a German club.
11 Oct 2017
- On 10th October 2017, LinkedIn released a report stating that, India ranks as the second largest market for pharmaceuticals and biotechnology workforce.
- President Ram Nath Kovind gave away the National award for senior citizens to Indian boxing coach Gurbax Singh Sandhu and Lal Bahadur Shastri National Award for Excellence in Public Administration, Academics and Management for 2017 to Dr.Bindeshwar Pathak.
- Richard H. Thaler won the 2017 Nobel Prize for Economics for his work on behavioural economics. He plans to spend the prize money “irrationally”.
- On 11th October 2017, the government appointed Actor Anupam Kher as the Chairman of Film and Television Institute of India (FTII), Pune.
- On 11th October 2017, Nisha Desai Biswal, former U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for South and Central Asia, was appointed as President of the U.S.-India Business Council (USIBC).
- On October 8, 2017, Commonwealth Games bronze medallist RMV Gurusaidutt won the men’s singles title at the Bulgarian International Future Series Badminton tournament.
10 Oct 2017
- The Bangalore International Airport Limited (BIAL) has planned to make Kempegowda International Airport (KIA) as India’s first airport to have complete Aadhaar-enabled entry and biometric boarding system.
- On 9th October 2017, Vinay Mohan Kwatra was appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Principality of Monaco.
- On 10th October 2017, PepsiCo, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) D Shivakumar resigned from the company after serving for nearly four years.
- On 9th October 2017, mixed pair of Jemson Ningthoujam and Ankita Bhakat from India, won the recurve team gold medal, in the World Archery Youth Championship 2017, in Rosario, Argentina.
- On 9th October 2017, Iceland became the smallest country ever to qualify for the FIFA World Cup.
- In a bid to make India Cricket team one of the fittest sides in world cricket, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has made it mandatory for cricketers to pass the ‘yo-yo’ endurance test.
9 Oct 2017
- India has ranked as 8th most valuable nation brand as per Brand Finance’s Nation Brands 2017 report. US being 1st.
- Noted Novelist T D Radhakrishnan’s has been selected for this year’s prestigious Vayalar award. The award will be presented to him on October 27, 2017, the death anniversary of poet and lyricist Vayalar Ramavarma.
- On 8th October 2017, the Gujarat Cooperative Milk Marketing Federation (GCMMF), was awarded as the best FMCG in the food sector, at the 5th International Advertising Associations (IAA) Leadership Awards, in Mumbai.
- On 5th October 2017, John K Paul was unanimously re-elected as the President of the Federations of Automobile Dealers Associations (FADA) for 2017-18, in New Delhi.
- On 9th October 2017, PNB MetLife India Insurance Company Ltd (PNB MetLife), appointed Ashish Srivastava as MD & CEO.
- On 9th October 2017, Online eyewear firm, Lenskart announced Bollywood star Katrina Kaif as its first ever brand ambassador.
- On October 8, 2017, Spanish tennis player Rafael Nadal won the men’s singles title at China Open 2017. He defeated Australia’s Nick Kyrgios in the final match.
- On 8th October 2017, Anupama Ramachandran of India won the World Open Under-16 Snooker Championship title in the girls category, in Saint Petersburg, Russia.
8 Oct 2017
- Manipur’s traditional Mera Houchongba festival symbolizes brotherhood and unity among indigenous communities settled in both hill and valley of State.It was celebrated at the Manipur Royal palace (Sana Konung) in Imphal in the presence of King of Manipur, Leishemba Sanajaoba as the main host.
- SEBI Chairman Ajay Tyagi has been named among the world’s top 10 regulators in the Market structure. He has placed seventh position among the top 10 regulators worldwide.
- Private Sector bank, Axis Bank has announced that it has completed the acquisition of Freecharge, appoints Sangram Singh as CEO.
- India finished second in 20th Asia Masters Athletics Championship held in Rugao, China. and bagged 146 medals, including 37 golds, 43 silvers and 66 bronze.China has topped.
- i. 70-year-old PN Mishra of Gorakhpur won gold in hammer throw
- ii. Saifai’s 35-year-old Siddharth Krishna bagged a bronze in 5000 meter walk
- iii. 35-year-old Lal Bahadur Yadav of Kanpur won a gold in Hammer throw
- iv. Former flying officer of Indian Air Force, 76-year-old Shivnath brought four bronze medals in 2000 meter hurdles, 80 meters hurdles, 4×100 meters relay and 4×400 meters relay race.
- On 8th October 2017, Indian golfer 28-year-old Ajeetesh Sandhu won Asian Tour title at the USD 500,000 Yeangder Tournament Players Championship (TPC) at Taipei.
- On October 8, 2017, Formula One motorist Lewis Hamilton won Japanese Grand Prix.
7 Oct 2017
- Rajesh Nath, Managing Director of VDMA India, has been conferred Germany’s Highest Civilian Honour, ‘Cross of the Order of Merit’. VDMA is a German Engineering Federation.
- Food delivery company Swiggy has appointed former Olam International executive & former Britannia Industries executive Rahul Bothra as its first chief financial officer (CFO).
- On Oct 6th 2017,Morgan Hurd from America won the women’s all-around title in world gymnastics championships at Montreal’s Olympic Stadium. Canada’s Ellie Black took silver and Elena Eremina of Russia won the bronze.
6 Oct 2017
- On 5th October 2017, India’s High Commissioner to Singapore announced that, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj will lead a ministerial delegation to the ASEAN-India ‘Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas’ (PBD) to be held in 2018, in Singapore.
- On 5th October 2017, Flipkart announced the launch of MarQ, an in-house brand in the large appliances category.
- On 6th October 2017, the Norwegian Nobel Committee announced, the 2017 Nobel Peace Prize winner as International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons (ICAN), in Oslo, Norway.
- On 5th October 2017, Reach All Women (RAW) in War announced Gauri Lankesh as the winner of Anna Politkovskaya Award 2017.
- On 5th October 2017, Mongolia appointed Ukhnaagiin Khurelsukh as its new prime minister, in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia.
- Australian Cricketer John Wayne Hastings confirmed his retirement from Tests and One-Day Internationals (ODIs). He plans to focus on T20 cricket.
5 Oct 2017
- Mukesh Ambani with a net worth of USD 38 billion, topped the India Rich List 2017 for the tenth straight year.
- Rohtak player Puja Kadian created history by becoming first Indian wushu player to win a gold medal in the World Championships in Kazan, Russia.
4 Oct 2017
- On 1st October 2017, The World Government Summit announced India as the guest country for its annual gathering on 11thto 13th February, 2018, in Dubai.
- On 3rd October 2017, Manipal University’s Manipal Institute of Technology (MIT) bagged the 1st place in ‘Most Clean Campus in South Western Region’ award and 3rd place in ‘Most Clean Campus 2017’ award, in Pune, Maharashtra.
- Scientists Jacques Dubochet, Joachim Frank and Richard Henderson have won the 2017 Nobel Prize for Chemistry.
- Director General of the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), Dr Soumya Swaminathan has been appointed the Deputy Director General for Programmes (DDP) of World Health Organisation (WHO). This position is the highest post held by an Indian in the WHO.
- On 4th September 2017, the government appointed Rajnish Kumar as the new Chairman of SBI (State Bank of India).
- On October 4, 2017, Vice Admiral Zafar Mahmood Abbasi was appointed as Navy Chief of Pakistan.
3 Oct 2017
- The 2017 Nobel Physics Prize has been awarded “for decisive contributions to the LIGO detector and the observation of gravitational waves” to Rainer Weiss, Barry C. Barish and Kip S. Thorne of the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-wave Observatory.
- Brenda Hale, the first female president of the supreme court, and Sir Ian Burnett, the youngest lord chief justice for 50 years, have been sworn in at the opening of the legal year.
- TVS Racing’s mascot Jagan Kumar notched his sixth straight title in the premier Super Sport Indian class on a rain-affected day to bring down the curtain on the MRF MMSC FMSCI Indian National Motorcycle Racing Championship in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
2 Oct 2017
- 5 time world champion Viswanathan Anand defeated Chinese grandmaster Hou Yifan in the 9th and final round to sign off joint 2nd at the Isle Of Man Chess Championship.
- The 2017 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine has been awarded to Jeffrey C. Hall, Michael Rosbash and Michael W. Young. The trio have been given the prize “for their discoveries of molecular mechanisms controlling the circadian rhythm”.
- The U-17 World Cup will set a record of sorts as it will see for the first time a female assistant referee in a FIFA men’s competition this time.
- Sri Meenakshi Sundareswarar Temple in Madurai has been adjudged the cleanest iconic place in India under Swachhta Hi Seva programme.
- Red Bull’s Max Verstappen sealed victory at the Malaysian Grand Prix as Lewis Hamilton finished second to extend his lead in the championship standings.
- A Ghana-based Indian entrepreneur has won a prestigious business award in UK for his efforts to bring innovative IT solutions to Africa.
1 Oct 2017
- World Vegetarian Day is observed annually on the planet on October 1.
- FIFA has launched the official ball for U-17 football World Cup & it will be called Krasava, a word generally used by Russian sports fans to describe a striking performance.
- Rajni Kant Mishra has taken over as the Director General, Sashastra Seema Bal succeeding Smt. Archana Ramasundaram.