31 Oct 2017
- On 30th October 2017, senior police officer SK Sinha was appointed as the Secretary (security) in the Cabinet Secretariat.
- On 30th October 2017, senior police officer AP Maheshwari was appointed as Director General of Bureau of Police Research and Development.
- On 31st October 2017, Tata Steel Ltd promoted T V Narendran as chief executive officer and managing director globally.
- On 30th October 2017, Birendra Prasad Baishya was re-elected as President of the Indian Weightlifting Federation (IWLF) in the Annual General Body Meeting.
- On 30th October 2017, Thomas Cook India announced the acquisition of the wholly-owned subsidiaries of Tata Capital Limited, Tata Capital Forex Limited(foreign exchange) and TC Travel and Services Limited (travel services).
- Indian cricket team captains Virat Kohli and Mitali Raj occupied the No.1 position in the latest ICC ODI Cricket rankings for batsmen and bats women which was published on 29thoct 2017.
- On 29th October 2017, Indian table tennis player Diya Chitale won silver medal in the girls’ doubles category of the 2017 ITTF World Cadet Challenge, in Suva, Fiji.
- World Savings Day is also called the World Thrift Day. It is celebrated every year on 31st October all over the world. In India World Savings Day is celebrated on 30th October.
30 Oct 2017
- On October 29, 2017, veteran Bollywood actor Anupam Kher received Parmod Mahajan Smriti Award in Pune.
- On 30th October 2017, Vice Admiral Ajit Kumar took charge as the Vice Chief of Naval Staff (VCNS) from Vice Admiral Karambir Singh at a formal ceremony held at South Block, New Delhi.
- On 29th October 2017, cricketer Suresh Raina was appointed as the brand ambassador of the Ghaziabad Municipal Corporation (GMC) at a programme at Ghaziabad.
- Yonex French Open 2017 Badminton tournament was held from 24th – 29th October, 2017 in Paris, France.French Open Badminton Tournament is held annually since 1909 in France.
Winners of Yonex French Open Badminton 2017 – Summary:
|Men’s Singles||Kidambi Srikanth (India)||Kenta Nishimoto (Japan)|
|Women’s Singles||Tai Tzu Ying (Chinese Taipei)||Akane Yamaguchi (Japan)|
|Men’s Doubles||Lee Jhe-Huei & Lee Yang (Chinese Taipei)||Mathias Boe & Carsten Mogensen (Denmark)|
|Women’s Doubles||Apriyani Rahayu & Greysia Polii (Indonesia)||Lee So Hee & Shin Seung Chan (South Korea)|
|Mixed Doubles||Tontowi Ahmad & Liliyana Natsir (Indonesia)||Zheng Siwei & Chen Quingchen (China)|
- On 29th October 2017, Virat Kohli became the sixth Indian and the fastest to score 9000 runs in ODI, during a match against New Zealand in Kanpur.
- On 29th October 2017, Italy topped the medal count and Chinese were crowned ‘Champion of Champions’, in the ISSF World Cup Final 2017, in New Delhi.
- On 29th October 2017, Max Verstappen won the Mexican Grand Prix title and Lewis Hamilton won the 2017 Formula One championship title.
29 Oct 2017
- On 27th October 2017, online travel solutions provider Cleartrip was named the ‘Best Mobile App for Travel and Leisure’ at the Mobexx Awards 2017.
- On 27th October 2017, Jeff Bezos, Amazon’s founder, replaced Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates as the richest person in the world.
- 17th edition of FIFA U-17 World Cup took place in India from 6th – 28th October 2017. FIFA U-17 is a biennial international football tournament of men’s under-17 national teams organised by Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA).
- England has won the FIFA U-17 World Cup. In the final match, England defeated Spain by 5-2.
- Phil Foden of England has been adjudged tournament’s best player and has been awarded ‘Golden Ball’.
- Another Player from England, Rhian Brewster who scored the most goals in the tournament (8 goals) has been awarded ‘Golden Shoe’.
- Gabriel Brazao the goalkeeper of Brazil’s national football team has won the ‘Golden Glove’.
- FIFA U-17 World Cup 2017 – Venues
Stadium City Vivekananda Yuba Bharati Krirangan/Salt lake Stadium Kolkata, West Bengal Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium/Fatorda Stadium Margao, Goa DY Patil Stadium Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra Indira Gandhi Athletic Stadium Guwahati, Assam Jawaharlal Nehru International Stadium Kochi, Kerala Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium New Delhi
28 Oct 2017
- India has overtaken the United States and become the 2nd largest smartphone market in the world, according to independent analyst Canalys.
- Mukesh Ambani’s company Reliance Industries Limited has reached yet another milestone by becoming the first Indian company ever to cross a market capitalization of Rs. 6-trillion. The recent tariff hikeby Reliance Jio also contributed to RIL’s stock price rise.
- On 24th October 2017, Sharmila Tagore was awarded the Lifetime Achievement Award by the PHD Chamber of Commerce and Industry, at a ceremony held at Siri Fort Auditorium, in New Delhi.
- On 27th October 2017, N.J.Gangte was appointed as High Commissioner of India to Republic of Zambia.
27 Oct 2017
- On 25th October 2017, Indian-origin campaigner, Gina Miller, became the UK’s most influential black person, by topping the 2018 ‘Powerlist’ of 100 people of African and African Caribbean heritage.
- On 25th October 2017, Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu received the Golden Peacock Award, at the 17th London Global Convention, held in London. Chandrababu Naidu received the ‘Golden Peacock Award’ under the category, Global Leadership in Public Service and Economic Transformation.
- India’s Amanpreet Singh secured third place in the 50-metre pistol final at the International Shooting Sport Federation World Cup Final in Delhi on October 27, 2017.
26 Oct 2017
- On 24th October 2017, Lonely Planet, the travel guide company, ranked Chile as the number one country to visit in 2018, in its Best in Travel 2018 list.
- China unveils World’s first track-less train that runs on virtual railways. This train could travel at the speed of 70 kmph. This train is called Autonomous Rail Transit (ART).
- On 25th October 2017, Professors Salim Abdool Karim and Quarraisha Abdool Karim, a South African Indian-origin researcher couple, were awarded the 2017 IHV Lifetime Achievement Award for Public Service.
- On 26th October 2017, Saudi Arabia became the world’s first country to grant citizenship to a robot, by granting citizenship to Sophia, an Artificially Intelligent (AI) robot.
- Virat Kohli, the captain of Indian cricket team, has been ranked above the Argentinean and Barcelona football legend Lionel Messi, as one of the most valuable brands among sports athletes by Forbes.
- On 21st October 2017, Gokul Natesan became the second Indian-origin player to be signed by an NBA G-League side.
25 Oct 2017
- Odisha will be the ‘Focus State’ in the World Food India (WFI)-2017, the international food event to be held at New Delhi from 3 to 5 November 2017.
- As per ‘Global Passport Power Rank 2017’, compiled by international financial advisory firm Arton Capital, passport of Singapore is now the “most powerful” passport in the world.
- Electric car maker Tesla has set up its first electric car manufacturing plant outside the US at Shangai in China. China has the world’s largest auto industry.
- Alok Kumar Pateria has been appointed as the Additional Director General (ADG) of Central Industrial Security Force (CISF).
24 Oct 2017
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) is set to make Legal Entity Identifier (LEI) compulsory for companies having aggregate fund-based and non-fund based exposure over Rs 5 crore.
- United Nations Day is celebrated on 24th October every year across the world.
- The National Basketball Association (NBA) announced Scott Fleming, former India men’s national team head coach, has joined NBA India as Head of Basketball Operations.
- Jitu Rai, a Commonwealth and Asian Games gold-medallist, and Heena Sidhu, also a former Commonwealth Gamesgold-winner, picked up their third gold together in the 10m air pistol mixed team event, being held officially for the first time at an ISSF World Cup on the opening day of competitions .
- Manav Thakkar has become the first Indian to occupy the top spot (3,455 points) on the ITTF World Junior Circuit standings.
- India’s Divij Sharan and America’s Scott Lipsky won the European Open Tennis trophy in Antwerp, Belgium.
- Suresh Sethi has been appointed as Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of India Post Payments Bank (IPPB). Suresh Sethi replaces AP Singh who had held the post since January 2017.
- Footballer Cristiano Ronaldo has been named FIFA Men’s Player of the Year and Lieke Martens has been named FIFA Women’s Player of the Year.
23 Oct 2017
- 11 years old Gitanjali Rao from Lone Tree, Colorado, is the winner of this year’s Discovery Education 3M Young Scientist Challenge for her sensor that can detect lead levels in water better than traditional methods.
- Dineshwar Sharma, the Former director of the Intelligence Bureau (IB), has taken charge as the interlocutor, for peace talks with Assam’s insurgent groups, including the United Liberation Front of Assam (ULFA).
- On 22nd October 2017, the Government promoted senior IPS officer Rakesh Asthana as Special Director of Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI). Other appointments were also made as a part of bureaucratic reshuffle.
- Kidambi Srikanth of India defeated Lee Hyun-il of South Korea by 21-10, 21-5 in the Men’s singles finals. Kidambi Srikanth won the Men’s singles title. This is his third Super Series title in 2017.
- On October 22, 2017, Indian Golfer Gaganjeet Bhullar won Macao Open 2017 at the Macau Golf and Country Club in Macau.
22 Oct 2017
- According to the latest data by Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM), Maruti Suzuki India has emerged as the largest passenger cars exporter from India for the April –September 2017 period.
- On 22nd October 2017, the Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation (HSBC) appointed Jayant Rikhye as the Chief Executive Officer for India operations.
- On 22nd October 2017, Georgia announced that, former AC Milan football star Kakha Kaladze had been elected as the mayor of its capital Tbilisi.
- On 22nd October 2017, Lewis Hamilton won the 2017 United States Grand Prix at Austin, Texas, United States.
- On October 22, 2017, during the one day international (ODI) match between India and New Zealand at Wankhede stadium, Mumbai, Virat Kohli became the highest run-scorer after 200 ODIs.
- Marc Márquez Alentà who was born on 17 February 1993 is a Spanish Grand Prixmotorcycle road racer and three-time MotoGP world champion.
- On 22nd October 2017, India beat Malaysia by 2-1 in the finals and won the Asia Cup hockey championship for the third time, in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
21 Oct 2017
- The very popular playback singers Alka Yagnikand Udit Narayan and the music composers Usha Khanna, Bappi Lahiri, Anu Malik and have been selected for the Madhya Pradesh state government’s prestigious National Lata Mangeshkar.
- According to the latest Forbes’ Rich List Cristiano Ronaldo is the richest sports personality in the world.
- On 21st October 2017, Sibi George was appointed as the next Ambassador of India to Switzerland.
- On 20th October 2017, Malaysia Airlines (MAS) announced that, it has appointed its current chief operating officer, former pilot Captain, Izham Ismail as its new Group CEO.
20 Oct 2017
- DR. AKINWUMI AYODEJI ADESINA,the President of the African Development Bank (AfDB), will be recognized as the 2017 World Food Prize Laureate.
- New Zealand Labour Party’s leader Jacinda Ardern is set to become youngest-ever female Prime Minister of New Zealand.
- On 19th October 2017, India lost its number 1 status in ICC ODI rankings to South Africa, following South Africa’s win over Bangladesh in an ODI match.
- On 19th October 2017, the Greek Olympic committee announced that, Champions League winner Park Ji-sung will be the first South Korean to carry the flame for the 2018 Pyeongchang Olympics.
- Indians Mohit Dudeja and Kiran bagged a silver and a bronze medal respectively at the World skills competition 2017 in Abu Dhabi, UAE.
19 Oct 2017
- On October 18, 2017, Arunachal Pradesh State Assembly passed Arunachal Pradesh (Re-Orgaisation of Districts) Amendment Bill 2017 to create a new district named ‘Kamle’. The bill was introduced on October 14, 2017 by Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Prema Khandu.
- Govardhan Eco Village, set up by the International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON) in Palghar district of Maharashtra has won the ‘Green Platinum Award’.
- Sunny Verghese is the first ever Asian CEO to be appointed as Chairman in World Business Council for Sustainable Development’s (WBCSD) 25 years of history.
- On 18th October 2017, Manika Jain was appointed as Ambassador of India to the Kingdom of Cambodia.
- Indian cricket team coach Ravi Shastri is the world’s highest-earning cricket coach in the world.
18 Oct 2017
- Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (IIT Bombay) has emerged as top-ranked Indian institute in the latest Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) Asia University Rankings 2018.
- US author George Saunders has won 2017 Man Booker Prize for his novel ‘Lincoln in the Bardo’.
- Veteran writer and lyricist Javed Akhtar is to be honoured with the Hridaynath Mangeshkar Award on 26thOctober 2017.
- On 2nd October 2017, Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas (MoPNG) was awarded Swachh Bharat Inter-Ministerial Award in Swachh Bharat National Award ceremony on Gandhi Jayanti, in New Delhi.
- CSS Corp, a US-headquartered IT services and technology support company, has won the Customer Service Excellence Award 2017 by National Association of Software and Services Companies (NASSCOM).
- Hyderabad’s Rajiv Gandhi International Airport (RGIA) has ranked No. 1 in the Airports Council International’s (ACI) service quality survey in the category of 5 to 15 million passengers per annum.
- On 16th October 2017, the Madhya Pradesh government appointed Naresh Kumar Gupta as the Lokayukta (Ombudsman) of the state.
- On 16th October 2017, Deepika Padukone launched the biography of veteran actress Hema Malini named ‘Beyond the Dream Girl’ in Mumbai. The biography of Bollwood actress Hema Malini titled ‘Beyond The Dream Girl’, is written by Ram Kamal Mukherjee.
17 Oct 2017
- Second edition of India International Cherry Blossom Festival will be held from 8th – 11th November, 2017 in Shillong, Meghalaya.
- On 17th October 2017, a new survey named “Authentic Brands Study” stated that, Indian consumers regard Google as the most authentic brand.
- On 17th October 2017, 50 Indian peacekeepers placed in South Sudan were awarded the UN Medal for their service in maintaining peace in South Sudan.
- Swraj Lord Paul, a famous NRI industrialist and Chairman of “The Caparo Group” a leading UK-based manufacturer of steel products, has been honoured with the Life Time Achievement Award at the 2nd British Asian Achievers Awards which was organised by Jagatwani a Hindi weekly.
- Indian-origin teenager Akshay Ruparelia has become one of UK’s youngest millionaires, after his online real estate agency business reached the value of 12 million pounds.
- Noted Indian-American attorney Ajay Raju has been honoured with the 3rd American Bazaar Philanthropy award. Ajay Raju has been awarded for his philanthropic activities in the US.
- On 16th October 2017, Voltas announced the elevation of Chief Operating Officer Pradeep Bakshi as the managing director (MD) and chief executive officer (CEO) of the company.
- On 15th October 2017, India’s Selena Selvakumar won three gold medals in Egypt Junior and Cadet Table Tennis Open 2017, with the junior girls’ singles and doubles titles at Sharm El Sheikh, in Egypt.
16 Oct 2017
- This year’s ‘Kalakar Puraskar’ instituted by Mandd Sobhann will be conferred on renowned Konkani folk artiste Gopal Gowda. This award was instituted by Mandd Sobhann, to honor Konkani artistes from the fields of folk arts, theatre, music and dance.
- Prabha Varma, an eminent poet, lyricist and journalist has been selected for this year’s Padma Prabha Puraskaram for his contribution to Malyalam literature.
- Football club Mohun Bagan has won the 37th All India Governor’s Gold Cup football tournament.
- On 15th October 2017, Kavita Devi, a former competitive powerlifter, became the first Indian woman to be signed by the World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE).
- On 16th October 2017, World Food Day was observed all over the world. The theme for World Food Day 2017 is ‘Change the future of migration. Invest in food security and rural development’.
15 Oct 2017
- South Pacific island nation of Vanuatu has become the first country in the world to accept Bitcoin in exchange for citizenship.
- Singer T M Krishna has won 30th Indira Gandhi Award for National Integration for the year 2015 and 2016.
- 12-year old Indian girl Poorvi G B has been awarded the ‘best performer’ subtitle at the ‘Little Miss World 2017’ pageant held in Greece.
- On 13th October 2017, all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan became the first cricketer from Bangladesh to be inducted in the MCC World Cricket Committee.
- On October 15, 2017, Maria Sharapova of Russia beat Aryna Sabalenka of Belarusby 7-5 7-6 (10-8) in the final match of Tianjin Open tennis tournament.
- On October 15, 2017, Roger Federer of Switzerland beat Rafael Nadal of Spain by 6-4 6-3 to win the final match of Shanghai Masters tennis tournament.
- India’s young paddler Selena Selvakumar,17 won gold medal in the Junior Girls Team event to annex the 2017 Egypt Junior and Cadet Table-Tennis Open.
14 Oct 2017
- Eminent writer Namita Gokhale has been nominated for the first Centenary National Award for Literature, for her outstanding literary contributions.
- On 13th October 2017, UNESCO’s executive board voted to make former French government minister, Audrey Azoulay, the U.N. cultural agency, UNESCO’s next chief.
- National Centre for Combustion Research and Development (NCCRD), world’s largest combustion research centre was inaugurated at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Madras on October 13, 2017.
- A documentary on Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal, titled ‘An Insignificant Man’, is to be released on 17th November 2017 in theatres.
13 Oct 2017
- On 26th – 31st October 2017, Kolkata is to host an international Puppet festival named ‘PUN (Puppets Unite Neighbours) International Puppet Festival’ at Mohorkunj, Kolkata.
- Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd (HPCL), a public sector oil company has started selling lubricants in Myanmar. With this move, HPCL has become first oil company of India to start marketing lubricants in Myanmar.
- On 12th October 2017, Mathrubhumi Managing Director M P Veerendra Kumar announced that, famous critic, biographer and orator M K Sanu has been chosen for the Mathrubhumi Literary Award for 2016.
- On 13th October 2017, Samsung Electronics Co Ltd announced that, its Vice Chairman and CEO, Oh-Hyun Kwon, had decided to step down from management.
- On 13th October 2017, MobiKwik, mobile wallet service and payment gateway provider, announced the appointment of Rukaiya Rangwala as the Business Head of ‘MobiKwik Payment Gateway’.
- On 12th October 2017, India’s High Commissioner to Pakistan, Gautam H. Bambawale was appointed as next ambassador to People’s Republic of China.
- On October 11th 2017, Tata-SIA joint venture airline named Vistara pads up for the launch of international operations 2018, announced the appointment of its new Chief Executive Officer Leslie Thng who takes charge in the month October, 2017.
- On 11th Oct. 2017, India won against Macau at the Sree Kanteerava stadium and secured the path into the 2019 AFC Asian Cup in the United Arab Emirates.
- Switzerland’s Esther Staubli is set to become the first female football referee to officiate a match at the FIFA U-17 World Cup when Japan takes on New Caledonia in the final round group E match on October 14, 2017 at Salt Lake Stadium in Kolkata.
12 Oct 2017
- India has ranked at 100th position among 119 countries on the Global Hunger Index (GHI), 2017. This year’s ranking marks a drop of three positions as compared to 97th rank in Global Hunger Index 2016.
- On October 10, 2017, American financial technology company Mastercard launched its first innovation lab in India in Pune, Maharashtra.
- On 10th October 2017, Prakash Raj, actor and film-maker, received the Kota Shivaram Karanth Huttura Prashasti award, at the Kota Shivaram Karanth Theme Park, in Kota, Udupi district of Karnataka.
- On 12th October 2017, HSBC announced that, it has appointed John Flint as its next CEO, in London.
- On 11th October 2017, Yuvraj Singh was announced as the first Indian ambassador of Laureus at an event in Mumbai.
- The Pakistan football federation was suspended from FIFA (Fédération Internationale de Football Association) by the Bureau of FIFA council on 10th Oct 2017. The reason behind the suspension was the “Interference of third party” in PFF i.e, the PFF accounts and their offices were under the control of an administrator appointed by court and this actually violated the rules of FIFA that it should manage its affairs independently and without the interference of third parties.
- Arjen robben, the 33 years old football player announced his retirement news from the international football. He played for Bayern Munich, a German club.
11 Oct 2017
- On 10th October 2017, LinkedIn released a report stating that, India ranks as the second largest market for pharmaceuticals and biotechnology workforce.
- President Ram Nath Kovind gave away the National award for senior citizens to Indian boxing coach Gurbax Singh Sandhu and Lal Bahadur Shastri National Award for Excellence in Public Administration, Academics and Management for 2017 to Dr.Bindeshwar Pathak.
- Richard H. Thaler won the 2017 Nobel Prize for Economics for his work on behavioural economics. He plans to spend the prize money “irrationally”.
- On 11th October 2017, the government appointed Actor Anupam Kher as the Chairman of Film and Television Institute of India (FTII), Pune.
- On 11th October 2017, Nisha Desai Biswal, former U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for South and Central Asia, was appointed as President of the U.S.-India Business Council (USIBC).
- On October 8, 2017, Commonwealth Games bronze medallist RMV Gurusaidutt won the men’s singles title at the Bulgarian International Future Series Badminton tournament.
10 Oct 2017
- The Bangalore International Airport Limited (BIAL) has planned to make Kempegowda International Airport (KIA) as India’s first airport to have complete Aadhaar-enabled entry and biometric boarding system.
- On 9th October 2017, Vinay Mohan Kwatra was appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Principality of Monaco.
- On 10th October 2017, PepsiCo, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) D Shivakumar resigned from the company after serving for nearly four years.
- On 9th October 2017, mixed pair of Jemson Ningthoujam and Ankita Bhakat from India, won the recurve team gold medal, in the World Archery Youth Championship 2017, in Rosario, Argentina.
- On 9th October 2017, Iceland became the smallest country ever to qualify for the FIFA World Cup.
- In a bid to make India Cricket team one of the fittest sides in world cricket, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has made it mandatory for cricketers to pass the ‘yo-yo’ endurance test.
9 Oct 2017
- India has ranked as 8th most valuable nation brand as per Brand Finance’s Nation Brands 2017 report. US being 1st.
- Noted Novelist T D Radhakrishnan’s has been selected for this year’s prestigious Vayalar award. The award will be presented to him on October 27, 2017, the death anniversary of poet and lyricist Vayalar Ramavarma.
- On 8th October 2017, the Gujarat Cooperative Milk Marketing Federation (GCMMF), was awarded as the best FMCG in the food sector, at the 5th International Advertising Associations (IAA) Leadership Awards, in Mumbai.
- On 5th October 2017, John K Paul was unanimously re-elected as the President of the Federations of Automobile Dealers Associations (FADA) for 2017-18, in New Delhi.
- On 9th October 2017, PNB MetLife India Insurance Company Ltd (PNB MetLife), appointed Ashish Srivastava as MD & CEO.
- On 9th October 2017, Online eyewear firm, Lenskart announced Bollywood star Katrina Kaif as its first ever brand ambassador.
- On October 8, 2017, Spanish tennis player Rafael Nadal won the men’s singles title at China Open 2017. He defeated Australia’s Nick Kyrgios in the final match.
- On 8th October 2017, Anupama Ramachandran of India won the World Open Under-16 Snooker Championship title in the girls category, in Saint Petersburg, Russia.
8 Oct 2017
- Manipur’s traditional Mera Houchongba festival symbolizes brotherhood and unity among indigenous communities settled in both hill and valley of State.It was celebrated at the Manipur Royal palace (Sana Konung) in Imphal in the presence of King of Manipur, Leishemba Sanajaoba as the main host.
- SEBI Chairman Ajay Tyagi has been named among the world’s top 10 regulators in the Market structure. He has placed seventh position among the top 10 regulators worldwide.
- Private Sector bank, Axis Bank has announced that it has completed the acquisition of Freecharge, appoints Sangram Singh as CEO.
- India finished second in 20th Asia Masters Athletics Championship held in Rugao, China. and bagged 146 medals, including 37 golds, 43 silvers and 66 bronze.China has topped.
- i. 70-year-old PN Mishra of Gorakhpur won gold in hammer throw
- ii. Saifai’s 35-year-old Siddharth Krishna bagged a bronze in 5000 meter walk
- iii. 35-year-old Lal Bahadur Yadav of Kanpur won a gold in Hammer throw
- iv. Former flying officer of Indian Air Force, 76-year-old Shivnath brought four bronze medals in 2000 meter hurdles, 80 meters hurdles, 4×100 meters relay and 4×400 meters relay race.
- On 8th October 2017, Indian golfer 28-year-old Ajeetesh Sandhu won Asian Tour title at the USD 500,000 Yeangder Tournament Players Championship (TPC) at Taipei.
- On October 8, 2017, Formula One motorist Lewis Hamilton won Japanese Grand Prix.
7 Oct 2017
- Rajesh Nath, Managing Director of VDMA India, has been conferred Germany’s Highest Civilian Honour, ‘Cross of the Order of Merit’. VDMA is a German Engineering Federation.
- Food delivery company Swiggy has appointed former Olam International executive & former Britannia Industries executive Rahul Bothra as its first chief financial officer (CFO).
- On Oct 6th 2017,Morgan Hurd from America won the women’s all-around title in world gymnastics championships at Montreal’s Olympic Stadium. Canada’s Ellie Black took silver and Elena Eremina of Russia won the bronze.
6 Oct 2017
- On 5th October 2017, India’s High Commissioner to Singapore announced that, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj will lead a ministerial delegation to the ASEAN-India ‘Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas’ (PBD) to be held in 2018, in Singapore.
- On 5th October 2017, Flipkart announced the launch of MarQ, an in-house brand in the large appliances category.
- On 6th October 2017, the Norwegian Nobel Committee announced, the 2017 Nobel Peace Prize winner as International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons (ICAN), in Oslo, Norway.
- On 5th October 2017, Reach All Women (RAW) in War announced Gauri Lankesh as the winner of Anna Politkovskaya Award 2017.
- On 5th October 2017, Mongolia appointed Ukhnaagiin Khurelsukh as its new prime minister, in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia.
- Australian Cricketer John Wayne Hastings confirmed his retirement from Tests and One-Day Internationals (ODIs). He plans to focus on T20 cricket.
5 Oct 2017
- Mukesh Ambani with a net worth of USD 38 billion, topped the India Rich List 2017 for the tenth straight year.
- Rohtak player Puja Kadian created history by becoming first Indian wushu player to win a gold medal in the World Championships in Kazan, Russia.
4 Oct 2017
- On 1st October 2017, The World Government Summit announced India as the guest country for its annual gathering on 11thto 13th February, 2018, in Dubai.
- On 3rd October 2017, Manipal University’s Manipal Institute of Technology (MIT) bagged the 1st place in ‘Most Clean Campus in South Western Region’ award and 3rd place in ‘Most Clean Campus 2017’ award, in Pune, Maharashtra.
- Scientists Jacques Dubochet, Joachim Frank and Richard Henderson have won the 2017 Nobel Prize for Chemistry.
- Director General of the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), Dr Soumya Swaminathan has been appointed the Deputy Director General for Programmes (DDP) of World Health Organisation (WHO). This position is the highest post held by an Indian in the WHO.
- On 4th September 2017, the government appointed Rajnish Kumar as the new Chairman of SBI (State Bank of India).
- On October 4, 2017, Vice Admiral Zafar Mahmood Abbasi was appointed as Navy Chief of Pakistan.
3 Oct 2017
- The 2017 Nobel Physics Prize has been awarded “for decisive contributions to the LIGO detector and the observation of gravitational waves” to Rainer Weiss, Barry C. Barish and Kip S. Thorne of the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-wave Observatory.
- Brenda Hale, the first female president of the supreme court, and Sir Ian Burnett, the youngest lord chief justice for 50 years, have been sworn in at the opening of the legal year.
- TVS Racing’s mascot Jagan Kumar notched his sixth straight title in the premier Super Sport Indian class on a rain-affected day to bring down the curtain on the MRF MMSC FMSCI Indian National Motorcycle Racing Championship in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
2 Oct 2017
- 5 time world champion Viswanathan Anand defeated Chinese grandmaster Hou Yifan in the 9th and final round to sign off joint 2nd at the Isle Of Man Chess Championship.
- The 2017 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine has been awarded to Jeffrey C. Hall, Michael Rosbash and Michael W. Young. The trio have been given the prize “for their discoveries of molecular mechanisms controlling the circadian rhythm”.
- The U-17 World Cup will set a record of sorts as it will see for the first time a female assistant referee in a FIFA men’s competition this time.
- Sri Meenakshi Sundareswarar Temple in Madurai has been adjudged the cleanest iconic place in India under Swachhta Hi Seva programme.
- Red Bull’s Max Verstappen sealed victory at the Malaysian Grand Prix as Lewis Hamilton finished second to extend his lead in the championship standings.
- A Ghana-based Indian entrepreneur has won a prestigious business award in UK for his efforts to bring innovative IT solutions to Africa.
1 Oct 2017
- World Vegetarian Day is observed annually on the planet on October 1.
- FIFA has launched the official ball for U-17 football World Cup & it will be called Krasava, a word generally used by Russian sports fans to describe a striking performance.
- Rajni Kant Mishra has taken over as the Director General, Sashastra Seema Bal succeeding Smt. Archana Ramasundaram.