31 May 2017
- Mumbai, Delhi, 7 other Indian cities in JLL’s global 300, which is the list compiled for a focus on commercial activity and interest.
- Author Jumpa Lahiri wins 2017 PEN/Malamud award for excellence in the short story.
- TATA motors was awarded ‘HR innovation of the Year’ for its significant contribution to skill development in the automative sector at the Asia-Pacific Excellence awards on May30, 2017.
- Kohli & Dhoni amongst four Indian Cricketers on ESPN World Fame 100.
- World No- Tobacco Day (WNTD) is observed every year across the World on 31 May.
30 May 2017
- India ranks 120th among 131 nations in women participation in workforce, says World Bank report.
- Lionel Messi wins fourth Golden Shoe, ties record with Cristiano Ronaldo.
- Actress Priyanka Chopra has received the Dadasaheb Phalke Academy Award for being an international icon.
- Harmanpreet Kaur becomes the first Indian women cricketer to play in England’s T20 league.
- Indian Captain Virat Kohli is the only cricketer from the country to feature in the top 10 of ICC Players Rankings for ODIs.
29 May 2017
- International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers. The theme for 2017 is “Investing in Peace Around the World.”
- The Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation has launched a newly aggressive campaign called Darwaza Band for promoting toilet usage across the country’s villages. Amitabh Bachchan will lead the campaign.
- The government has renamed Matritva Sahyog Yojana as Pradhan Mantri Matritva Vandana Yojana. Under the scheme, Rs 6000 is given to pregnant and lactating mothers for the first live birth. Its original name was Indira Gandhi Matritva Sahyog Yojana.
- Ruben Ostlund directed satire ‘The Square’ has won the top prize at 70th Cannes Film Festival.
- Sangeet Natak Akademi awarded Satyabrata Rout (Sangeet Natak Akademi Puruskar 2016) & Dr. Sunil Kothari (Akademi Ratna award).
- Dadasaheb Phalke Academy has introduced the ‘International Acclaimed Actress Award’ which will be given to Priyanka Chopra. Priyanka’s mother Madhu Chopra too will be honoured with Dadasaheb Phalke Award in the Best Film category for her maiden production, ‘Ventilator’.
- Lionel Messi has won the European Golden Shoe for a record-equalling fourth time, drawing level with Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo. Messi previously won the award in 2010, 2012 and 2013. This award is given for scoring the highest number of goals in a European season.
28 May 2017
- International day of Action for Women’s Health is observed.
- The Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) has overtaken the Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) to become the country’s most profitable state-owned company. Reliance Industries retained the crown of being India’s most profitable company for the third year in a row.
- India has announced a $500 million line of credit to Mauritius as the two countries resolved to deepen ties in a range of areas including the maritime domain.
- Apple opened its first Southeast Asia store in Singapore.
27 May 2017
- India’s Ministry of External Affairs hosted ‘India-Pacific Islands Sustainable Development Conference’ in Suva, Fiji. The issues like the blue economy, disaster management, solar alliance and climate change were discussed.
- RBI has decided to keep June 5-9 as Financial Literacy week. It will focus on KYC, Exercising credit discipline, Grievance redressal and going digital.
- Nagpur earned the distinction of becoming the country’s first city with an electric fleet of 200 electric vehicles, including taxis, buses, e-rickshaw and autos. All these electric-powered public transport vehicles will be fully owned by cab aggregator Ola.
- Rakesh Kapoor, Joint MD of IFFCO (Indian Farmer Fertilizer Cooperative Limited) has been appointed as Chairman of International Fertilizer Association (IFA).
- Football club Manchester United beat Ajax, Amsterdam to won Europa League Title.
26 May 2017
- The government has banned the sale of cows and buffaloes for slaughter through animal markets, rules that will hurt millions of poor farmers and squeeze supplies to the country’s meat industry.
- Puducherry Chief Minister V. Narayanasamy presented a tax-free budget for 2017-18.
- Padma Shri Kanwar Pal Singh Gill, popularly known as the ‘Lion of Punjab’ and ‘Super Cop’ passed away. Gill has also been an advisor to Gujarat and Chhattisgarh governments, a hockey administrator, and a prolific commentator on security issues. He is credited with breaking the backbone of Khalistani terrorism in Punjab and finally eliminating it by adopting tough measures.
- A major feather in his crown was added when he commanded ‘Operation Black Thunder’ in May 1988 to flush out militants hiding in the Golden Temple in Amritsar.
- Syed Ghayorul Hasan Rizvi assumed charge of the Chairman of the National Commission for Minorities in New Delhi. He served as Chairman, U.P Minority Finance Development Corporation Ltd.
- PM Narendra Modi inaugurated the country’s longest river bridge — the Dhola-SadiyaSpanning 9.15 km, the bridge is built across the Lohit river which is a tributary of the Brahmaputra river. It is named after iconic singer Bhupen Hazarika. It will reduce the travel time between Assam and Arunachal Pradesh from six hours to just one hour as the distance will shrink by 165 km.
- Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Industries (RIL) is the highest ranked Indian firm in Forbes magazine’s ‘Global 2000’ list this year which sees the number of Indian companies in 2017 rising to 58 from last year’s 56. Reliance Industries is followed by State Bank of India, the country’s largest lender and state-run oil explorer ONGC. Four other Indian banks, which are all privately owned — HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank, Axis Bank and Kotak Mahindra Bank are among the top 20 Indian companies in the overall list. Tata Motors has retained its sixth position among Indian companies but fell in terms of overall ranking to 290.
- The NATO Leaders’ Meeting 2017 was held at NATO’s new Headquarters in Belgium, Brussels to discuss terrorism. NATO 2018 summit will be held in Istanbul, Turkey.
25 May 2017
- The Union Cabinet has given its approval to the phasing out of Foreign Investment Promotion Board (FIPB). Henceforth, the work relating to processing of applications for FDI and approval of the Government thereon under the extant FDI Policy and FEMA, shall now be handled by the concerned Ministries/Departments in consultation with the Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion (DIPP), Ministry of Commerce, which will also issue the Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) for processing of applications and decision of the Government under the extant FDI policy.
- Mortgage lender HDFC Ltd is the only Indian company to be named among the top 10 consumer financial services companies in the world, with American Express claiming the first position.
- India retained its numero uno position as the world’s top most greenfield FDI investment destination for the second consecutive year, attracting USD 62.3 billion in 2016, says a report.
- Two Indian cities – Mumbai and Kota – have been named among the world’s most crowded in a list topped by Dhaka, said the World Economic Forum (WEF), citing UN-Habitat data.
- Taj Mahal, the magnificent monument of love, has made it to the top 10 landmarks in the world by securing the fifth position in the list.
- Olympic silver medallist, PV Sindhu, became the second Indian to be inducted in Badminton World Federation (BWF) Athletes’ Commission. Saina Nehwal is already a member.
- Google’s Vice President Rajan Anandan is now chairman of Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAAI).
- Socialist Lenin Moreno was sworn in as President of Ecuador.
- Shri Uday Mahurkar wrote a book titled ‘Marching with a Billion- Analysing Narendra Modi’s Government at Midterm’ to analyse the monumental changes that Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has brought on multiple fronts.
24 May 2017
- Indian spinner Ravichandran Ashwin received International Cricketer of the Year Award consecutively for the second time for taking 99 wickets in last 12 months.
- Abhirup Bhattacharya wrote book “Winning like Virat: Think & Succeed like Kohli”. It focuses on form and philosophy of the cricketer.
- Nepal PM Pushpa Kamal Dahal ‘Prachanda’ has resigned.
23 May 2017
- World Turtle day is celebrated across the world.
- India overtook Japan to become the second-largest steel producer in the world after China in 2016, according to data released by the International Stainless Steel Forum (ISSF).
- The Member States of WHO elected Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus as the new Director-General of WHO. He will succeed Dr Margaret Chan and will be the first health official from Africa to serve as director-general.
- Israel and India penned a deal worth $630 million, to provide India’s navy with missile defence systems.
- Digital payment firm PayTm launched its payment bank with 4% interest rate and cashbacks on deposits, zero fees on online transactions and no minimum balance requirement. The company is backed by Chinese firm Alibaba and Japanese Softbank.
- Actor Sir Roger Moore, best known for playing James Bond, has died due to cancer aged 89.
22 May 2017
- The International Day for Biological Diversity (or World Biodiversity Day) is a United Nations–sanctioned international day for the promotion of biodiversity issues. Theme for the year 2017 is “Biodiversity and Sustainable Tourism”.
- DBS Bank India has expanded its bancassurance partnerships with two new partners in Tata AIA Life and Birla Sun Life, in addition to Aviva India Life and has become the first bank in India to adopt a new open architecture model with three life insurers on a single platform.
- Karnataka Bank has signed MoU with LIC to sell products of LIC.
- HDFC Life has announced an artificial intelligence based application called SPOK. It can read, understand, categorise, prioritise and respond to customer emails and queries within milliseconds.
- Alexander Zverev has defeated Novak Djokovic to win the Italian Open. The 20-year-old Zverev became the youngest player to win a Masters 1000 event.
- Sweden has won the ice hockey world championship, beating favourites Canada in a dramatic penalty shootout.
- Bollywood actor Jacqueline Fernandez received the International Humanitarian Award and writer Jeffrey Archer the Lifetime Achievement Award instituted by Asian Voice, a leading British Asian newsweekly. The “charity of the year” award was presented to Anxiety UK, which works to help people with anxiety disorders.
- Cochin Port Trust has received two Best Performance Awards from Ministry of Shipping, one for achieving the highest growth in operating surplus and the other for achieving third highest growth in cargo traffic among the Major Ports in the year 2016-17.
- Drake was the big winner at the 2017 Billboard Music Awards. The rapper won 13 awards, making him the artist with the most in a single year, beating Adele’s record of 12.
- Mathunny Mathews popularly known as ‘Toyota’ Sunny, who played a key role in the safe evacuation of 1.7 lakh Indian nationals from the Emirate after Saddam Hussein’s Iraqi forces invaded Kuwait in 1990 passed away. He came to be known as ‘Toyota’ Sunny following his life-long association with the leading automobile dealer Al-Sayer Group. He was the inspiration for ‘Airlift’, a Bollywood movie in which Akshay Kumar depicted Ranjit Katyal.
21 May 2017
- The National Anti-Terrorism Day is celebrated in India to raise awareness among all sections of people, about the danger of terrorism, violence and its dangerous effect on the people, the society and the nation as a whole.
- Finland has agreed to host the 2017 Arctic Energy Summit as the first major event of their Arctic Council Chairmanship, which runs 2017 to 2019.
- India’s Anshu Jamsenpa has become the first woman to conquer Mt Everest twice in within five days. She is also the first Indian woman to scale Mt. Everest for the fifth time.
- Real Madrid wins its first Spanish title since 2012 and kept rival Barcelona from its third straight championship.
- Mumbai Indians beat Rising Pune Supergiants and won third IPL T20 trophy.
- Three Indian companies — Gitanjali Gems, Titan and PC Jeweller — have been named in the list of top 50 luxury goods firms globally that was topped by Louis Vuitton in the fourth annual Global Powers of Luxury Goods report.
20 May 2017
- World metrology day was celebrated with the theme Measurements for transport.
- India will host the annual meeting of African Development Bank (AfDB) at Gandhinagar for the first time. The core theme of the event is “Transforming agriculture for wealth creation in Africa”.
- The PM, Shri Narendra Modi, has released a two-part book series titled ‘S. Swaminathan – The Quest for a world without hunger on the eminent agricultural scientist’. Praising the dedication and commitment of Prof. Swaminathan, the Prime Minister described him as a “Kisan Vaigyanik” – Farmers’ Scientist; rather than just a “Krishi Vaigyanik” – Agricultural Scientist.
- G20 Labor and employment Ministers Meet 2017 was held in Germany. The theme was ‘Towards an Inclusive Future – Shaping the World of Work’.
- Anurag Mehrotra becomes the youngest MD of Ford India.
- Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani won re-election.
- Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Jio has won TM Forum’s ‘Digital Service Innovator of the Year Award’ for acquiring 90 million customers in a short span of 4 months.
- Indian Men’s team won compound gold in World Cup Archery after defeating Columbia. It was held in Shanghai, China.
- China and member countries of ASEAN has agreed to a framework on code on conduct in the disputed South China Sea to reduce the risk of clashes.
19th May 2017
- International Museum day and World AIDS vaccine day was celebrated on 18 May worldwide.
- Britain Indian origin steel tycoon Sanjeev Gupta has bagged a top Global award ‘CEO of the year’ at the prestigious Platts Global Metal Awards in London. He is the executive chairman of the Liberty House Group and has transformed the steel industry in UK, India and beyond.
- Former PM, Manmohan Singh presented Indira Gandhi Peace Prize to ISRO (Indian Space research Organization). It was received by AS Kiran Kumar, chairperson of ISRO.
- The meeting of the 14th GST Council was held in Srinagar marking participation of Union Finance Minister, Mr Arun Jaitley, Finance Ministers of all the states, Finance Secretaries and other taxation officials from the states and union territories. The GST Council finalised tax rates on 80-90% of goods and services under the four-slab structure (5%, 12%, 18% and 28%) with essential items of daily use being kept in the lowest bracket of 5%. The Council also approved 7 set of rules for the Goods and Services Tax (GST) regime that is scheduled to kick in from July 1. It will replace 16 current levies — 7 central taxes like excise duty and service tax and 9 state taxes like VAT and entertainment tax — thereby creating India as one market with one tax rate.
- Milk, cereals (unpackaged and unbranded), and jaggery will be exempt from any GST.
- Sugar, tea, coffee (except instant), and edible oil Coal will be taxed at 5%.
- Common use items such as soap, toothpaste, hair oil and Capital goods and industrial intermediaries will be taxed at 18%.
- Consumer durables will come under the 28% tax bracket. Small petrol and diesel cars will be taxed at 28% with small petrol cars attracting a cess of 1% and small diesel cars 3%. Luxury cars will attract a 15% cess in addition to 28% GST.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has mandated that 25% of the total number of ‘banking outlets’ opened during a financial year should be located in unbanked rural centers in its notification “Rationalization of Branch Authorization Policy- Revision of Guidelines”. “Domestic scheduled commercial banks (other than RRBs) are permitted to open, unless otherwise specifically restricted, banking outlets in tier 1 to tier 6 centers without having the need to take permission from RBI in each case. RBI has defined “a banking outlet” for a scheduled commercial, a payments bank or a small finance bank as a fixed point service delivery unit, manned by either the bank’s staff or its business correspondent, where services of acceptance of deposits, encashment of cheques, cash withdrawal or lending of money are provided for a minimum of 4 hours per day for at least five days a week”. Those outlets which do not meet these criteria will be called “part-time banking outlet.”
- After Sarojini Dikhale, Raj Kumar has been appointed as whole time director of LIC Mutual Fund.
- India has imposed anti-dumping duty on a Chinese chemical amoxicillin, used in the pharma industry and aluminium foil for a period of five years to protect domestic industry from cheap imports.
- Green court, NGT (National Green Tribunal) headed by Justice Swatanter Kumar has banned open defecation and waste dumping on the floodplains of Yamuna river. Environmental compensation of Rs 5000 will be charged from people who violates this rule.
- India’s first uterus transplant was done by a team of Pune’s doctors on 18 May.
- 24th SIMBEX (Singapore – India Maritime Bilateral Exercises) took place between Republic of Singapore Navy and Indian Navy at South China Sea.
- Turbo Megha Airways, the Hyderabad based airline became the country’s first private airline to get UDAN (Uday Desh ka AAM Nagrik) licence, the government scheme for subsidized regional flights.
18th May 2017
- A 14 year Old Indian-American student, Pranay Varada has won the prestigious National Geographic Bee Competition.
- Tata Group is India’s most valuable brand – Brand Finance.
- Assam’s Purnima Barman & Karnataka’s Sanjay Gubbi wins the Prestigious ‘Green Oscars’ Award.
- Indian Scientist Shrinivas Kulkarni wins Dan David Prize, for his contribution in the field of astronomy.
- David Letterman has won Mark Twain Prize 2017 for American humour on 17th May.
- Indian Grandmaster Pentala Harikrishna registered his first win at the Moscow FIDE Grand Prix.
17th May 2017
- Mukesh Ambani tops Forbes List of Global Game Changers.
- Dish TV India appoints Anil Dua as Group CEO.
- Mohd Anas breaks 400 m National Record Qualifies for World Championships.
16th May 2017
- India has ranked 2nd among 40 countries on ‘Renewable Attractiveness Index’.
- The headquarter of the Independent Permanent Human Rights Commision (IPHRC) of Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) will inaugurate in Saudi Arabia.
- IIT-Hyderabad professor Aravind Kumar Rengan bags INSA Young Scientist Award.
- Yes Bank has appointed Debjani Ghosh as an independent Director.
- French President Emmanuel Macron on 15 May 2017 named Edouard Phillippe as the Prime Minister of the Country.
- Indian squash player Ramit Tandon won his first professional title in squash on 14 May 2017.
- Deepti Sharma, Poonam Raut create history with record 320-run stand.
15th May 2017
- Sikkim Chief Minister Pawan Kumar Chamling was conferred with the first Bhairon Singh Shekhawat Lifetime Achievement Honour in Public Service by President Pranab Mukherjee.
- The 112 feet tall ‘Adiyogi’ Lord Shiva steel statue has been declared the world’s largest bust by the Guiness Books of World Records.
- A 44-year-old Nepalese mountaineer Lhapka Sherpa has broken her own world record for the most Everest summits by a woman after scaling the world’s tallest peak for the eighth time.
- The Asian Wrestling Championship concluded on May 14th, 2017 in New Delhi. Indian wrestlers bagged a total of 10 medals (1 Gold, 5 Silver and 4 Bronze).
- On May 14th, 2017, Indian Motor racing driver Arjun Maini became the first Indian to win a race in the GP3 series in Barcelona, Spain.
- On May 14th, 2017, Rafael Nadal beat Dominic Thiem to win Mutua Madrid Open at La Caja Magica in Madrid, Spain.
- Amul to sponsor New Zealand cricket team for Champions trophy.
- Lewis Hamilton has won the Spanish Grand Prix in Formula One Championship.
14th May 2017
- 11 Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs) ave featured in Forbes Magazine’s ‘Midas 2017’, which ranks world’s 100 best venture capitalists in the technology space.
- Maharashtra’s Govardhan Eco Village has won the “Smart Village” award for being a sustainable project in rural Maharashtra.
- ‘WannaCry’ ransomware cyber attack causing havoc worldwide.
- India claims two medals at World Para Athletics Grand Prix. India claimed a Gold Medal and the Bronze medal at the World Para Athletics Grand Prix being held in Beijing, China. Ramudri Someshwara Rao won a Gold medal in the 200 m race at World Para Athletics Grand Prix, Beijing. Shot Putter Hokato Sema won bronze at World Para Athletics Grand Prix, Beijing.
- Every Year, second sunday of May is celebrated as Mother’s Day across the world to honour Mothers. It was on 14th May 2017.
13th May 2017
- The appointments committee of the cabinet has approved the appointment of senior bureaucrats R K Mahajan and Mahender Singh as members in the Central Board of Excise and Customs.
- Amitabh Bachchan appointed WHO goodwill ambassador for Hepatitis.
- On May 11, 2017 , V K Saraswat , Scientist and former Director General of Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) was appointed as Chancellor of Jawaharlal Nehru University for a five-year term.
12th May 2017
- Former India Batsman V V S Laxman was awarded an honorary life membership to the Melbourne Cricket Club (MCC) on 11th May 2017.
- Dr Hubert Minnis has been elected as the new Prime Minister of the Commonwealth of the Bahamas.
- Justice Mukul Mudgal was elected as the Chairman of FIFA Governance Committee.
11th May 2017
- As per Savills Tech Cities 2017 rankings, Bengaluru has been adjusted as the most affordable city having the lowest cost of living out of 22 tech cities across the world.
- ICICI Bank Chief Chanda Kochhar receives ‘Woodrow Wilson Award’ for global corporate citizenship.
- Sanjay Mitra will be the next defence secretary of the country. He is a 1982 batch IAS officer from West Bengal Cadre.
- Sohail Mahmood, the seniormost officer of Pakistan Foreign Service has been designated as Pakistan’s new high Commissioner to India.
- Harpreet Singh has bagged bronze medal in Greco-Roman weight divisions in the Asian Wrestling Championship.
10th May 2017
- Konkana Sensharma has bagged the best director for her debut film ‘A death in the Gunj’.
- South Korea has chosen Moon Jae as its new president. Moon has replaced Park Geun-hye.
- Twitter has elevated Taranjeet Singh as its Country Director for India.
- Jhulan Goswami named Highest Wicket-Taker in Women’s One-Day International.
9th May 2017
- N’Golokante named Football Writer’s Association Footballer of the Year. He is a French Professional Footballer.
- Venu Rajamony appointed India’s ambassador to Netherlands.
- Olly Turtle is the mascot of 22nd Asian Athletics Championship to be held in Bhubaneshwar in July 2017.
8th May 2017
- Emma Watson became the first person to win the MTV movie and TV awards’ new gender-neutral Best actor in a movie award for her performance as Belle in “Beauty & the Beast”.
- Oscar-nominated film “Lion’s” child actor Sunny Pawar has been chosen for the Rising star award.
- Emmanuel Macron, an independent centrist has become France’s youngest ever president. He is 39.
- Grand Prix of liberation: Heena Sindhu wins bronze, India come back with 7 medals.
- Hockey Him (Himachal) defeated Hockey Mizoram in the 7th Junior National Hockey Championship.
- May 8th, 2017 is celebrated as World Red Cross Day.
7th May 2017
- Indian Origins Hinduja Brothers have topped the 2017 list of the richest people in the United Kingdom.
- Sachin Tendulkar conferred with Fellowship Award at the 7th annual Asian Awards in UK. India’s playback singer Adnan Sami won the award for outstanding acheivement in Music.
- On May 6, 2017, Indian boxer Shiva Thapa won a silver medal at the Asian Boxing Championships in Tashkent, Uzbekistan.
- Great Britain wins Sultan Azlan Shah Hockey Cup beating Australia; India finishes third.
6th May 2017
- Saqib Majeed, a Srinagar-based freelance photographer has won the prestigious 2016 Wisden-MCC (Melbourne Cricket Council) Cricket Photograph of the Year.
- Govt appoints heads of 7 PSU banks; MDs of PNB, BoI shifted. The New MD & CEO of following PSU banks would be :-
- Allahabad Bank – Usha Ananthasubramniam
- Indian Oversees Bank – R Subramania Kumar
- Bank of India – Dinabandhu Mohapatra
- Union Bank of India – Rajkiran Rai G
- Punjab National Bank – Sunil Mehta
- Vijaya Bank – R K SankaraNarayana
- Syndicate Bank – M O Rego
5th May 2017
- Prabhat Kamal Bezboruah, a renowned tea planter from Assam, has been appointed the Chairman of the Tea Board of India.
- Sweden created World’s Fastest Camera, shoots 5 Trillion Frames per second. Stockholm is the capital of Sweden.
4th May 2017
- Indore is India’s cleanest city, UP’s Gonda dirtiest: Swachh Bharat Survey 2017. Top 5 clean Cities – Swachh Survekshan 2017
- 1st – Indore (Madhya Pradesh)
- 2nd – Bhopal (Madhya Pradesh)
- 3rd – Vishakhapatnam (Andhra Pradesh)
- 4th – Surat (Gujrat)
- 5th – Mysore (Karnataka)
- A kolkata based Micro Finance Institution, Village Financial services has bagged MSME Banking Excellence Awards 2016, instituted by the Chamber for Indian Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises.
- In the latest FIFA rankings, the Indian football team has risen to the 100th rank for the first time ever in over two decades. Brazil ranks 1 in FIFA rankings.
3rd May 2017
- Uber’s Food Delivery Service UberEATS starts in Mumbai. The company has appointed Bhavik Rathod as the head of the food delivery business.
- On the occasion of the 50th annual world fest houston international film festival awarded the special jury remi award to Indian Actress Shabana Azmi and singer poet Satinder Sartaaj on 3rd May 2017.
- Bengaluru FC Skipper Chhetri wins Hero of I-league Award.
- Mallikarjun Kharge is appointed as the Chairperson of the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) of the Parliament.
- Indian Table Tennis player Soumyajit Ghosh wins singles and doubles gold at Chile Open.
- May 3, 2017 is celebrated as the World Press Freedom Day.
2nd May 2017
- The Real Estate Regulation & Development Act (RERA) has come into effect from May 1, 2017. Government’s objective behind this act is to protect home buyers and bring in overall transparency in the real estate sector that will encourage genuine private players.
- On May 1st, 2017, India’s second tallest flag pole has been inaugurated in Kolhapur at Western Maharashtra.
- 2017 Daytime Emmy Awards Winners List
- Outstanding Talk Show – Entertainment : The Ellen DeGeneres Show
- Outstanding Talk Show – Informative : The Dr. Oz Show
- Outstanding Younger Actress in a Drama Show : Lexi Ainsworth as Kristina Davis on General Hospital
- Outstanding Younger Actor in a Drama Series : Bryan Craig as Morgan Corinthos on General Hospital
- On May 2, 2017 Tamil Nadu Government honoured social worker Padma Venkataraman with the states “Avvaiyar Award 2017”.
- Mr. Anthony Lianzuala has become the New Controller General of accounts (CGA)
1st May 2017
- India gained five points to move up to the third place with South Africa maintaining its pole position in the latest ICC ODI team rankings.
- Aizawl FC, a hitherto little-known club from a remote corner of the country with a shoe-string budget, were on Sunday crowned I-League champions, an achievement in the Indian Football Industry.
- India has beaten New Zealand 3-0, in the Sultan Azlan Shah Hockey Cup being played at Ipoh in Malaysia. Australia are the defending champions, while India had finished runners-up last year.
- The long awaited Real Estate Regulation and Development Act (RERA) will be implemented from May1. The act specifies that all existing projects must be registered with the State’s regulatory authority by July 2017 and that no new project can be launched without this registration.
- Leander paes has won the Tallahassee Challenger title of the men’s doubles tennis tournament.
- International Labour Day is observed on 1st May 2017, just to promote and encourage the international labour associations.