12 Jan 2018
- Sri Lanka has removed a 38-year long ban on selling alcohol to women and employing them in places where alcohol is produced and sold.
- Mukesh Ambani – led Reliance Jio Infocomm Ltd is planning to create its own cyptocurrency, ‘JioCoin’.
- Kazakhstan has surpassed Iraq as the biggest oil over-producer in the pact between Organisation of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) and its allies to control oil output.
- GAIL India, the largest government-owned natural gas processing and distribution company in India will now be setting up ‘coal to synthesis gas’ conversion plants.
- On 12th January 2018, Anil Khanna was appointed as the Chairman of the Finance Commission of the Indian Olympic Association (IOA).
- Actress Kajol has become an advocacy ambassador for Swachh Aadat Swachh Bharat initiative.
- On 11th January 2018, the Supreme Court collegium recommended Indu Malhotra as the first woman lawyer to be directly appointed as a judge of Supreme Court.
- On 10th January 2018, Sukhchain Singh Cheema, wrestler and Asian Games bronze medalist, died in a car accident in Patiala, Punjab. Sukhchain Singh Cheema was 68 years old. He was the winner of bronze medal in the 1974 Tehran Asiad. He had also received Dronacharya award.
- On 12th January 2018, National Youth Day was celebrated all over India.
11 Jan 2018
- On January 10, 2018, IndusInd Bank and Dynamics Inc announced plans to introduce the first battery-powered, interactive payment cards in the Indian market in 2018.
- IndiGo airlines of India, has been named the fourth most punctual ‘mega carrier’ in the world, in OAG’s list of the world’s most punctual ’mega carriers’.
- On 11th January 2018, V J Mathew was appointed as Chairman of Maritime Board.
- Renowned rocket scientist, Sivan K has been appointed as the chairman of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).
- On January 9, 2018, a state-of-the-art patrol vessel of the Indian Coast Guard, ‘Charlie-435’, was commissioned at Karaikal in the Union Territory of Puducherry.
- The Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT) has set up its first food testing lab in IIT Kharagpur campus.
- Every year, 10 January is celebrated as ‘World Hindi Day’ all over the world. As, the first “World Hindi Conference” was held on 10 January 1975.
10 Jan 2018
- On 10th January 2018, the UIDAI launched ‘Virtual ID’, which an Aadhaar-card holder can generate from UIDAI website.
- On 8th January 2018, Jeff Bezos, Amazon CEO, made a new record in terms of amount of wealth owned by a single person, with net worth of $105.1 Billion, as per Bloomberg’s Billionaire Tracker.
- On 10th January 2018, JK Tyre & Industries appointed Rajiv Prasad as president of India Operations.
- On 10th January 2018, Lieutenant General Yenduru Venkata Krishna Mohan took charge as the 13th Corps Commander of the Rising Star Corps.
- Sunny Verghese, Singapore-based Indian-origin businessman, has been appointed as the Chairman of World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD).
- On 10th January 2018, the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) appointed Harjinder Singh as the Chef De Mission for the 23rd Winter Olympic Games to be held in Pyeongchang, in February 2018.
- On 9th January 2018, India’s Aanchal Thakur became the first Indian to win an international medal in skiing, by winning a bronze medal in the Alpine Ejder 3200 Cup.
9th Jan 2018
- R.S. Puram Police station in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu has been adjudged as the best police station in India in SMART Police Stations initiative of Union Ministry of Home Affairs.
- On 30th January 2018, the French government will present the “Legion of Honour” award to actor Soumitra Chatterjee, at the 42nd International Kolkata Book Fair.
- On 9th January 2018, the Matunga suburban station of Mumbai on the Central Railway (CR) appeared in the Limca Book of Records for comprising all-woman staff.
- Dilip Asbe has been appointed as Managing Director (MD) and CEO of National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI).
- Karen Bradley has been appointed as the new secretary of state for Northern Ireland.
- AR Rahman has been made the brand ambassador of Sikkim.
- Sita Ram Mardi has been appointed as the new Director General of Police (DGP) of Himachal Pradesh.
- On 2nd January 2018, Rajesh Ranjan was appointed as the next High Commissioner of India to Botswana.
- Parle Agro has named Allu Arjun, Telegu actor, as brand ambassador for its key brand Frooti.
- On 8th January 2018, Aditya Mehta won the Kolkata Open 2018 International Invitation Snooker Championship at the Hindustan Club, in Kolkata.
- Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has suspended cricketer Yusuf Pathan for five months for failing a dope test.
- On 6th January 2018, Kapil Mohan, chairman of Mohan Meakin Ltd, which makes ‘Old Monk’ rum, passed away due to cardiac arrest, at his home, in Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh.
8th Jan 2018
- 34th Harbin International Ice and Snow Festival, world’s largest ice festival opened on January 5, 2018 in Harbin (north-east China). The festival will continue through late February.
- Bollywood actor Akshay Kumar has agreed to partner with the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) to promote cleanliness in Mumbai as part of the Swachh Survekshan 2018.
- Acer has launched new Acer Swift 7 laptop, which it claims to be the world’s thinnest laptop.
- On 7th January 2018, Neel Joshi lost in the finals of the British Junior Open squash in U-15 category at Birmingham, England. England’s Sam Todd defeated India’s Neel Joshi 8-11, 16-14, 11-0, 14-12 in the finals of the U-15 category of British Junior Open squash. Sam Todd won the U-15 British Junior Open squash title.
7th Jan 2018
- On 7th January 2018, Julia Goerges won the WTA Auckland Open Tennis title, in Auckland, New Zealand.
- On 6th January 2018, Roger Federer and Belinda Bencic won the Hopman Cup title for Switzerland, in Perth, Australia.
- Philippe Coutinho has moved from Liverpool to Barcelona team for 160 million Euros ($192 million) making this the second most expensive transfer in the world soccer history.
- On January 5, 2018, Union Minister of State ( I/C)Youth Affairs and Sports Col Rajyavardhan Rathore launched Vibrant Khelo India logo at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in New Delhi.
6th Jan 2018
- As per data released by Sri Lanka Tourism Development Authority, India continued to be Sri Lanka’s top source of tourists in 2017.
- Paytm Payments Bank has announced a partnership with Induslnd Bank under which, its customers’ account balance exceeding Rs. 1 lakh at the end of day will be automatically converted to a fixed deposit (FD) with IndusInd Bank.
- On 5th January 2018, T S Tirumurti was appointed as the Secretary (Economic Relations) in the External Affairs Ministry.
- First PAF (Pakistan Air Force) chief Air Marshal Asghar Khan dies at 96.
5th Jan 2018
- On Jan 4 2018 , The Centre has approved a logo as the state’s symbol which is designed and conceptualized by West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee. The logo highlighting the “Biswa Bangla” theme with Ashoka Pillars .
- From January 1, 2018, a new law has come to force in Iceland, under which it has become illegal to pay men more than women for the same work. Iceland has thus become first country in the world to legalise equal pay.
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) will soon issue Rs.10 denomination banknotes in the Mahatma Gandhi (New) Series.These notes will bear signature of Dr. Urjit R. Patel, the current Governor of Reserve Bank of India.
- On Jan 4, 2018 Ravi Menon, managing director of the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS), has been honoured the best central bank governor in Asia-Pacific for 2018 by UK-based magazine, The Banker.
- Ricky Ponting has joined head coach of Delhi Daredevils. Ponting was earlier associated with Indian Premier League champions Mumbai Indians.
- On Jan 4,2017 , Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) appointed former captain Hasan Sardar as the new chief head coach of the national team.
4th Jan 2018
- On 3rd January 2018, Kookhyun Shim was appointed as Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Kia Motors India.
- On 3rd January 2018, Colin Munro became the first batsman to score three hundreds in T20 internationals.
- On 3rd January 2018, Madhukarrao Kimmatkar, former Maharashtra Minister passed away due to brief illness in Nagpur.
- On 3rd January 2018, Radha Viswanathan, carnatic singer, passed away at Fortis hospital in Chennai.
3rd Jan 2018
- On 2nd January 2018, the Dhanu Yatra festival held in Bargarh district of Odisha came to an end.
- On 2nd January 2018, Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL) announced that, it has commissioned and achieved design throughput of the world’s largest refinery off the gas cracker at Jamnagar.
- Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust (JNPT) has won “Samudra Manthan-Caring Organisation of the Year” award.
- On 3rd January 2018, Rajinder Khanna was appointed the Deputy National Security Adviser(NSA).
- On 2nd January 2018, Emami Group announced actor Salman Khan as the brand ambassador for its edible oil brands.
2nd Jan 2018
- Rajiv Kumar, Secretary of Financial Services under Union Finance Ministry has stated that from January 1, 2018, customers will not have to pay any transaction charges for payments made through debit card, BHIM app and Aadhaar-enabled payment systems for up to Rs 2000.
- On January 1, 2018, GAIL India Ltd announced that it has commissioned India’s second largest rooftop solar power plant in Uttar Pradesh.
- On 1st January 2018, Mohamed Salah, Liverpool and Egypt striker, was named Arab Football Player of the Year 2017.
- Vijay Keshav Gokhale, current secretary (economic relations) has been named as India’s next foreign secretary.
- On 30th December 2017, Soumeylou Boubeye Maiga was appointed the new Prime Minister of Mali.
- G Sathiyan has become India’s highest ranked player in the International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) rankings. G Sathiyan, who has become India’s highest ranked player in ITTF rankings has scored 49th position at the world level. He is followed by Sharath Kamal who is at 51st world rank.
1st Jan 2018
- Pankaj Jain has taken charge as Managing Director of India Infrastructure Finance Company Ltd (IIFCL).
- Vidarbha has won the Ranji Trophy title for the first time by defeating Delhi in the final match.
- The final match was played at Holkar Stadium in Indore.
- Rajneesh Gurbani becomes 2nd bowler to take hat-trick in Ranji final
On December 30, 2017, during Ranji Trophy final match, Vidarbha’s Rajneesh Gurbani took a hat-trick against Delhi.
- On 31st December 2017, India’s Shiv Kapur won the title of the Royal Cup golf tournament at the Phoenix Gold Golf and Country Club in Pattaya, Thailand.