31 Jan 2018
- Sharath Kamal beat top-seeded Anthony Amalraj to win the men singles title in the 79th edition of the 11Even Sports Senior Nationals in Ranchi, Jharkhand.
- Melbourne Cricket Ground will host the final of both the men’s and women’s World Twenty20 when the tournaments come to Australia in 2020.
- The 42nd edition of the International Kolkata Book Fair 2018 is being held in Kolkata.
- Bollywood playback singer Asha Bhosle will be given the ‘Yash Chopra Memorial Award’.
30 Jan 2018
- Vice President Venkaiah Naidu conferred Badminton Association of India Lifetime Achievement Award to 1983 World Championship medallist Prakash Padukone.
- There has been a 50% increase in the number of indirect taxpayers. There has also been a large increase in voluntary registrations, especially by small enterprises that buy from large enterprises wanting to avail themselves of input tax credit.
29 Jan 2018
- Pakistan became the top-ranked T20I side in international cricket after beating New Zealand in the third and final T20I to claim the three-match series 2-1.
- Ingvar Kamprad, the Founder of Swedish furniture giant Ikea, died at the age of 91 at his home. Kamprad was the world’s eighth-richest person with a net worth of $58.7 billion.
- Cartoon Network has announced the launch of a new colourful cruise ship liner named Cartoon Network Wave, which will sail from Singapore in late 2018.
- Bruno Mars, Kendrick Lamar steal the show in early Grammys Mars won all of the awards for which he was nominated.
- Here is a list of winners in key categories:
- Album of the Year: Bruno Mars, 24K Magic.
- Record of the Year: Bruno Mars, 24K Magic.
- Song of the Year (for songwriting): Bruno Mars.
- The 60th Annual Grammy Awards ceremony was held on January 28, 2018.
- Here is a list of winners in key categories:
- Vijay Keshav Gokhale assumed charge as the new foreign secretary for a two-year term.
- Australian Open 2018, winners
- Women’s Singles – Caroline Wozniacki won by defeating Simona Halep.
- Men’s Doubles – Oliver Marach and Mate Pavic won by defeating Robert Farah and J. Cabal.
- Women’s Doubles – Kristina Mladenovic and Tímea Babos won by defeating Elena Vesnina and Ekaterina Makarova.
- Mixed Doubles – Gabriela Dabrowski and Mate Pavic won by defeating Timea Babos and Rohan Bopanna.
- World No. 2 Roger Federer defeated No. 6 Marin Cilic 6-2, 6-7(5), 6-3, 3-6, 6-1 to clinch his sixth Australian Open title.
28 Jan 2018
- Every year January 27 is observed as the International Holocaust Remembrance Day.
- Denmark’s Caroline Wozniacki defeated Romanian Simona Halep to win her first Grand Slam title at the Australian Open.
- India’s win over South Africa in the 3rd & final Test helped it retain the ICC Test Championship mace.
- PM Modi will address the 6th World Government Summit, at which India is ‘Guest of Honour’, at Dubai.
- Oxford Dictionaries has chosen ‘Aadhaar’ as the Hindi word of 2017. It also becomes the first Oxford Dictionaries Hindi Word of the Year.
27 Jan 2018
- The hungarian-french pairing of Timea Babos & Kristina Mladenovic have won the Australian Open women’s doubles title.
- Usha Ananthasubramanian, MD and CEO, Allahabad Bank, has been elected the first woman chairman of Indian Banks’ Association.
- Delhi lifted its maiden Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy after defeating Rajasthan in the finals by 41 runs.
26 Jan 2018
- Rachel Morrison, became the first woman to receive an Oscar nomination for cinematography. She was nominated for her work on Dee Rees’ Mudbound for Netflix.
- The 2017 World Weightlifting Champion Saikhom Mirabai Chanu and former Asian Games gold medallist tennis player Somdev Devvarman have been conferred with the Padma Shri. Ilayaraja, Ghulam Mustafa Khan (Art) and Parameswaran Parameswaran (Literature & Education) were awarded with Padma Vibhushan. Mahendra Singh Dhoni and Pankaj Advani are among others awarded with Padma Bhushan.
25 Jan 2018
- Hemant Kumar Sharma has been appointed as the Divisional Commissioner of Jammu.
- Dr V Narayanan has taken charge as Director of ISRO’s Liquid Propulsion Systems Centre, at Valiamala, Kerala.
- Harman International has named actress Priyanka Chopra as the global brand ambassador for its JBL and Harman Kardon audio brands.
- Rachel Morrison has become the first female cinematographer to be nominated for Oscar awards.
24 Jan 2018
- On 23rd January 2018, Rajesh Agarwal was appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Niger.
- On 24th January 2018, the United States Senate appointed Jerome H Powell as the next Chairman of the Federal Reserve.
- On 24th January 2018, Tsewang Namgyal was appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Poland.
- On 23rd January 2018, Rakhi Halder made a new national record by lifting 128kgs in the clean and jerk, in the 63kg women’s category, in the 33rd Women Senior National Weightlifting Championships, in Mangaluru, Karnataka.
- On 24th January 2018, National Girl Child Day was celebrated all over India.
23 Jan 2018
- India has been adjudged as the 5th most attractive market for investments in a survey of CEOs conducted by consulting firm PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC).
- On 22nd January 2018, Srikumar Menon was appointed as the Ambassador of India to the Republic of Angola.
- On 22nd January 2018, Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) appointed Dilip Chenoy as its Director General.
- S Somanath assumed charge as the Director of Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre at a function in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
- On 19th January 2018, Sudeep Lakhtakia was appointed as the new Director General (DG) of National Security Guard (NSG).
- “Sachin: A Billion Dreams”, a biopic on Sachin Tendulkar, has won two awards at the 11th Tehran International FICTS Festival 2018, in Iran.
- On 21st January 2018, Siddharth Pratap Singh won the men’s singles title of the Swedish Open Junior International Series 2018, in Uppsala, Sweden.
- ICC (International Cricket Council) has announced that, 2018 Women’s World T20, will be hosted by Antigua and Barbuda, Guyana and St Lucia of West Indies from 9 – 24 November, 2018.
22 Jan 2018
- On 18th to 20th January 2018, the 10th Global Forum for Food and Agriculture (GFFA) was held in Berlin, Germany.
- According to Sanctum Wealth Management report, India will overtake China to be the fastest growing large economy in 2018.
- On January 22, 2018, Paisabazaar.com, an online marketplace for Loans and Credit Cards announced to offer direct Mutual Fund plans to retail customers and has thereby became India’s first major platform to come up with such offering.
- On 21st January 2018, Om Prakash Rawat was appointed as the next Chief Election Commissioner.
- O P Singh has been appointed as DGP (Director General of Police) of Uttar Pradesh.
- On 21st January 2018, Hockey Haryana became champions of the 8th Hockey India Sub Junior (Women) National Championship 2018 (A Division), in Haryana.
21 Jan 2018
- On 20th January 2018, India defeated Pakistan and won the Blind Cricket World Cup 2018 at the Sharjah Cricket Stadium, in UAE.
- Central Government will be declaring 2018 as the ‘national year of millets’.
20 Jan 2018
- Former Gujarat chief minister Anandiben Patel has been named the next Madhya Pradesh Governor.
- Mauritius was the largest source of foreign investment in India (21.8% share), followed by the US and the UK, according to a census by the Reserve Bank of India.
- Mangalajodi Ecotourism Trust of Odisha was awarded the “Innovation in Tourism Enterprise” award, at the 14th UNWTO (United Nations World Tourism Organisation) Awards ceremony in Madrid, Spain.
- Divers of Great Maya Aquifer Project have discovered world’s largest underwater cave in Mexico.
- The National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) celebrated its 13th Raising Day in New Delhi. The Director Intelligence Bureau, Rajiv Jain was the chief guest on this occasion.
- Indian Institute of Information Technology and Management-Kerala (IIITM-K) and Blockchain Education Network have planned to jointly set up Kerala Blockchain Academy at Technopark campus, in Thiruvananthapuram. It will be first of its kind in India.
- The government appointed senior IAS officer S Selvakumar as Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of Security Printing and Minting Corporation of India Ltd (SPMCIL).
- Facebook-owned instant messaging platform WhatsApp has rolled out a feature that connects small businesses with customers.
19 Jan 2018
- Facebook has announced the addition of Kenneth I. Chenault, CEO of American Express, to its board of directors.
- Indigenously-developed weapon system integrated helicopter Rudra will make its maiden appearance in the Republic Day parade. Flypast by IAF on R-Day parade will involve 38 aircraft.The 2nd block will start with Rudra formation comprising Advanced Light Helicopter MK-IV WSI. Rudra is equipped with Forward Looking Infrared, a 20 mm turret gun, 70 mm rocket pods & anti-tank guided missiles.
- Former Brazil and Barcelona midfielder Ronaldinho has retired from professional football. Ronaldinho has not played for a professional team since leaving Brazilian side Fluminense in July 2015. Ronaldinho was part of the triumphant Brazil 2002 World Cup squad, won the Champions League in 2006 with Barcelona and won the Balon d’Or in 2005.
- Viorica Dancila has been named as Romania’s first female PM following the sudden resignation of Mihai Tudose.
- India has jumped three ranks to be placed 102nd in the first FIFA rankings of the year.
18 Jan 2018
- United Kingdom Prime Minister Theresa May has appointed a “minister for loneliness” in a bid to tackle social isolation.
- Indian Cricket Captain Virat Kohli has been named as International Cricket Council Cricketer of the Year 2017.
- Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman undertook a sortie in IAF s frontline combat jet Sukhoi-30 MKI in the western sector of Rajasthan.
17 Jan 2018
- Vice Admiral Ajendra Bahadur Singh took over as Chief of Staff, Western Naval Command from Vice Admiral Ravneet Singh.
- WWE (World Wrestling Entertainment) announced that Goldberg will be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame class at a ceremony in 6th April 2018, in New Orleans
- The first-day image captured by India’s recently launched weather observation Cartosat-2 series satellite shows a part of Indore city in Madhya Pradesh.
- Romania’s left-wing Prime Minister Mihai Tudose resigned after losing the backing of his party.
16 Jan 2018
- Assam Hockey won the 8th Hockey India Sub Junior Men National Championship 2018 (B Division), at Hojai Hockey stadium, in Assam.
- Sudhir Dalvi was presented the Janakavi P Sawlaram award at a function in Thane, Maharashtra.
- Sports Minister Rajyavardhan Rathore made the announcement during the launch of the official anthem and mascot of Khelo India School Games, beginning January 31. Now when an athlete wins a medal the coach gets the incentive. The video features India’s eminent sports personalities such as Sardar Singh, Sunil Chhetri, Devendra Jhajharia, Baichung Bhutia, Pullela Gopichand, Saina Nehwal etc.
15 Jan 2018
- The two-day long, 25th International Camel festival has kick-started in Rajasthan’s Bikaner district. Organised by Department of Tourism, Art & Culture, Bikaner Camel Festival is a yearly event in Jan that the city celebrates in honour of ship of the desert, Camel. Scores of beautifully decorated camels from various regions were witnessed on the first day of the festival.
- SEBI has approved the appointment of Vijay Kumar as the MD and CEO of NCDEX.
- Supreme Court collegium has recommended the name of senior advocate Indu Malhotra as the 1st woman lawyer to be directly appointed as a judge of the apex court.
- Sports administrator Anil Khanna has been named as the Chairman of Finance Commission of Indian Olympic Association.
- Delhi’s wicketkeeper-batsman Rishabh Pant blasted an unbeaten 116 off just 38 deliveries in a North Zone match against Himachal Pradesh. This is the second quickest century in T20s and the fastest by an Indian. Chris Gayle still holds the record for the fastest century in the format when he clubbed 100 off just 30 deliveries against Pune Warriors in IPL.
- Reigning Olympic champion Carolina Marin led Hyderabad Hunters to their maiden Premier Badminton League.
14 Jan 2018
- A health worker from Mandi district in Himachal Pradesh, Verma has featured in the World Health Organization (WHO) calendar for the year 2018.
- New passports for citizens who have Emigration Check Required (ECR) status will have orange cover jackets, instead of the traditional dark blue. Indian passports have a blue cover, diplomatic and official passports have white and red jackets, respectively. Applicants who haven’t cleared 10th standard are given a passport with ECR category.
- As a symbolic gesture of friendship with Israel, India will rename the iconic Teen Murti Chowk, a war memorial. The new name of the memorial which was the official residence of the first Indian Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru will be, Teen Murti Haifa Chowk.
- A teenager from Brazil has become the fifth person ever in the world to be completely cured of rabies.
13 Jan 2018
- 1122 players from around the world have signed up to be part of the upcoming IPL auction. These include the likes of Chris Gayle, Yuvraj Singh, Joe Root and Shane Watson. About 282 overseas players – 58 from Australia, 57 from South Africa, 39 each from Sri Lanka and West Indies, 30 from New Zealand, and 26 from England have registered for the auction.
- According to eMarketer, India is now the world’s fastest-growing “proximity mobile payment” market in the world.
- Former world silver medallist Sarjubala Devi representing Manipur claimed the gold in 48 kg category in the National Women’s Boxing Championships.
12 Jan 2018
- Sri Lanka has removed a 38-year long ban on selling alcohol to women and employing them in places where alcohol is produced and sold.
- Mukesh Ambani – led Reliance Jio Infocomm Ltd is planning to create its own cyptocurrency, ‘JioCoin’.
- Kazakhstan has surpassed Iraq as the biggest oil over-producer in the pact between Organisation of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) and its allies to control oil output.
- GAIL India, the largest government-owned natural gas processing and distribution company in India will now be setting up ‘coal to synthesis gas’ conversion plants.
- On 12th January 2018, Anil Khanna was appointed as the Chairman of the Finance Commission of the Indian Olympic Association (IOA).
- Actress Kajol has become an advocacy ambassador for Swachh Aadat Swachh Bharat initiative.
- On 11th January 2018, the Supreme Court collegium recommended Indu Malhotra as the first woman lawyer to be directly appointed as a judge of Supreme Court.
- On 10th January 2018, Sukhchain Singh Cheema, wrestler and Asian Games bronze medalist, died in a car accident in Patiala, Punjab. Sukhchain Singh Cheema was 68 years old. He was the winner of bronze medal in the 1974 Tehran Asiad. He had also received Dronacharya award.
- On 12th January 2018, National Youth Day was celebrated all over India.
11 Jan 2018
- On January 10, 2018, IndusInd Bank and Dynamics Inc announced plans to introduce the first battery-powered, interactive payment cards in the Indian market in 2018.
- IndiGo airlines of India, has been named the fourth most punctual ‘mega carrier’ in the world, in OAG’s list of the world’s most punctual ’mega carriers’.
- On 11th January 2018, V J Mathew was appointed as Chairman of Maritime Board.
- Renowned rocket scientist, Sivan K has been appointed as the chairman of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).
- On January 9, 2018, a state-of-the-art patrol vessel of the Indian Coast Guard, ‘Charlie-435’, was commissioned at Karaikal in the Union Territory of Puducherry.
- The Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT) has set up its first food testing lab in IIT Kharagpur campus.
- Every year, 10 January is celebrated as ‘World Hindi Day’ all over the world. As, the first “World Hindi Conference” was held on 10 January 1975.
10 Jan 2018
- On 10th January 2018, the UIDAI launched ‘Virtual ID’, which an Aadhaar-card holder can generate from UIDAI website.
- On 8th January 2018, Jeff Bezos, Amazon CEO, made a new record in terms of amount of wealth owned by a single person, with net worth of $105.1 Billion, as per Bloomberg’s Billionaire Tracker.
- On 10th January 2018, JK Tyre & Industries appointed Rajiv Prasad as president of India Operations.
- On 10th January 2018, Lieutenant General Yenduru Venkata Krishna Mohan took charge as the 13th Corps Commander of the Rising Star Corps.
- Sunny Verghese, Singapore-based Indian-origin businessman, has been appointed as the Chairman of World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD).
- On 10th January 2018, the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) appointed Harjinder Singh as the Chef De Mission for the 23rd Winter Olympic Games to be held in Pyeongchang, in February 2018.
- On 9th January 2018, India’s Aanchal Thakur became the first Indian to win an international medal in skiing, by winning a bronze medal in the Alpine Ejder 3200 Cup.
9th Jan 2018
- R.S. Puram Police station in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu has been adjudged as the best police station in India in SMART Police Stations initiative of Union Ministry of Home Affairs.
- On 30th January 2018, the French government will present the “Legion of Honour” award to actor Soumitra Chatterjee, at the 42nd International Kolkata Book Fair.
- On 9th January 2018, the Matunga suburban station of Mumbai on the Central Railway (CR) appeared in the Limca Book of Records for comprising all-woman staff.
- Dilip Asbe has been appointed as Managing Director (MD) and CEO of National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI).
- Karen Bradley has been appointed as the new secretary of state for Northern Ireland.
- AR Rahman has been made the brand ambassador of Sikkim.
- Sita Ram Mardi has been appointed as the new Director General of Police (DGP) of Himachal Pradesh.
- On 2nd January 2018, Rajesh Ranjan was appointed as the next High Commissioner of India to Botswana.
- Parle Agro has named Allu Arjun, Telegu actor, as brand ambassador for its key brand Frooti.
- On 8th January 2018, Aditya Mehta won the Kolkata Open 2018 International Invitation Snooker Championship at the Hindustan Club, in Kolkata.
- Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has suspended cricketer Yusuf Pathan for five months for failing a dope test.
- On 6th January 2018, Kapil Mohan, chairman of Mohan Meakin Ltd, which makes ‘Old Monk’ rum, passed away due to cardiac arrest, at his home, in Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh.
8th Jan 2018
- 34th Harbin International Ice and Snow Festival, world’s largest ice festival opened on January 5, 2018 in Harbin (north-east China). The festival will continue through late February.
- Bollywood actor Akshay Kumar has agreed to partner with the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) to promote cleanliness in Mumbai as part of the Swachh Survekshan 2018.
- Acer has launched new Acer Swift 7 laptop, which it claims to be the world’s thinnest laptop.
- On 7th January 2018, Neel Joshi lost in the finals of the British Junior Open squash in U-15 category at Birmingham, England. England’s Sam Todd defeated India’s Neel Joshi 8-11, 16-14, 11-0, 14-12 in the finals of the U-15 category of British Junior Open squash. Sam Todd won the U-15 British Junior Open squash title.
7th Jan 2018
- On 7th January 2018, Julia Goerges won the WTA Auckland Open Tennis title, in Auckland, New Zealand.
- On 6th January 2018, Roger Federer and Belinda Bencic won the Hopman Cup title for Switzerland, in Perth, Australia.
- Philippe Coutinho has moved from Liverpool to Barcelona team for 160 million Euros ($192 million) making this the second most expensive transfer in the world soccer history.
- On January 5, 2018, Union Minister of State ( I/C)Youth Affairs and Sports Col Rajyavardhan Rathore launched Vibrant Khelo India logo at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in New Delhi.
6th Jan 2018
- As per data released by Sri Lanka Tourism Development Authority, India continued to be Sri Lanka’s top source of tourists in 2017.
- Paytm Payments Bank has announced a partnership with Induslnd Bank under which, its customers’ account balance exceeding Rs. 1 lakh at the end of day will be automatically converted to a fixed deposit (FD) with IndusInd Bank.
- On 5th January 2018, T S Tirumurti was appointed as the Secretary (Economic Relations) in the External Affairs Ministry.
- First PAF (Pakistan Air Force) chief Air Marshal Asghar Khan dies at 96.
5th Jan 2018
- On Jan 4 2018 , The Centre has approved a logo as the state’s symbol which is designed and conceptualized by West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee. The logo highlighting the “Biswa Bangla” theme with Ashoka Pillars .
- From January 1, 2018, a new law has come to force in Iceland, under which it has become illegal to pay men more than women for the same work. Iceland has thus become first country in the world to legalise equal pay.
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) will soon issue Rs.10 denomination banknotes in the Mahatma Gandhi (New) Series.These notes will bear signature of Dr. Urjit R. Patel, the current Governor of Reserve Bank of India.
- On Jan 4, 2018 Ravi Menon, managing director of the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS), has been honoured the best central bank governor in Asia-Pacific for 2018 by UK-based magazine, The Banker.
- Ricky Ponting has joined head coach of Delhi Daredevils. Ponting was earlier associated with Indian Premier League champions Mumbai Indians.
- On Jan 4,2017 , Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) appointed former captain Hasan Sardar as the new chief head coach of the national team.
4th Jan 2018
- On 3rd January 2018, Kookhyun Shim was appointed as Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Kia Motors India.
- On 3rd January 2018, Colin Munro became the first batsman to score three hundreds in T20 internationals.
- On 3rd January 2018, Madhukarrao Kimmatkar, former Maharashtra Minister passed away due to brief illness in Nagpur.
- On 3rd January 2018, Radha Viswanathan, carnatic singer, passed away at Fortis hospital in Chennai.
3rd Jan 2018
- On 2nd January 2018, the Dhanu Yatra festival held in Bargarh district of Odisha came to an end.
- On 2nd January 2018, Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL) announced that, it has commissioned and achieved design throughput of the world’s largest refinery off the gas cracker at Jamnagar.
- Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust (JNPT) has won “Samudra Manthan-Caring Organisation of the Year” award.
- On 3rd January 2018, Rajinder Khanna was appointed the Deputy National Security Adviser(NSA).
- On 2nd January 2018, Emami Group announced actor Salman Khan as the brand ambassador for its edible oil brands.
2nd Jan 2018
- Rajiv Kumar, Secretary of Financial Services under Union Finance Ministry has stated that from January 1, 2018, customers will not have to pay any transaction charges for payments made through debit card, BHIM app and Aadhaar-enabled payment systems for up to Rs 2000.
- On January 1, 2018, GAIL India Ltd announced that it has commissioned India’s second largest rooftop solar power plant in Uttar Pradesh.
- On 1st January 2018, Mohamed Salah, Liverpool and Egypt striker, was named Arab Football Player of the Year 2017.
- Vijay Keshav Gokhale, current secretary (economic relations) has been named as India’s next foreign secretary.
- On 30th December 2017, Soumeylou Boubeye Maiga was appointed the new Prime Minister of Mali.
- G Sathiyan has become India’s highest ranked player in the International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) rankings. G Sathiyan, who has become India’s highest ranked player in ITTF rankings has scored 49th position at the world level. He is followed by Sharath Kamal who is at 51st world rank.
1st Jan 2018
- Pankaj Jain has taken charge as Managing Director of India Infrastructure Finance Company Ltd (IIFCL).
- Vidarbha has won the Ranji Trophy title for the first time by defeating Delhi in the final match.
- The final match was played at Holkar Stadium in Indore.
- Rajneesh Gurbani becomes 2nd bowler to take hat-trick in Ranji final
On December 30, 2017, during Ranji Trophy final match, Vidarbha’s Rajneesh Gurbani took a hat-trick against Delhi.
- On 31st December 2017, India’s Shiv Kapur won the title of the Royal Cup golf tournament at the Phoenix Gold Golf and Country Club in Pattaya, Thailand.