31 Dec 2017
- State-run Bank of India has received capital infusion of Rs. 2,257 crore from the government.
- Bank of India was founded on 7th September 1906.
- Dinabandhu Mohapatra is Managing Director & CEO of Bank of India.
- Headoffice of Bank of India- Mumbai.
- Indian golfer Shiv Kapur won the Royal Cup at Pattaya, Thailand, which is his third Asian Tour title of 2017.
- Renowned educationist M V Pylee has passed away due to brief age-related ailment.
30 Dec 2017
- Nirmala Sitharaman has launched a start-up incubation centre called the Centre for Entrepreneurship Opportunities and Learning (CEOL) in Mangaluru, Karnataka.
- Nirmala Sitharaman is the present Defence Minister of India.
- Former football star George Weah has been elected as Liberia’s president. The closest rival of Mr Weah was his opponent Joseph Boakai. Mr Weah won the elections with more than 60% of the vote.
29 Dec 2017
- The Lok Sabha passed the Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriages) Bill 2017 making instant triple talaq illegal with up to three years in jail for the husband. The bill was passed by the Minister for Law and Justice Ravi Shankar Prasad.
- Bank of Baroda has entered into MoU with POORTI Agri Services Pvt. Ltd to enable the farmers to purchase agricultural inputs such as fertilizers, pesticides, seeds etc. provided by POORTI.
- India has the highest level of non-performing assets (NPA) among BRICS countries and is ranked fifth on a list of countries with the highest levels of NPAs, as per the report by CARE Ratings.
- Prince Harry has been named the president of African Parks, a conservation group that manages a dozen wildlife areas across the continent.
- India’s ace chess player Viswanathan Anand won the World Rapid Chess tournament title in Saudi Arabia by beating Russia’s Vladimir Fedoseev 2-0 in a two-game tie-break.
28 Dec 2017
- India’s largest mobile-first financial services platform, Paytm announced that its app has crossed the 100 million milestone on Google Play Store in the second week of December 2017.
- Vijay Shekhar Sharma is the CEO of Paytm.
- Paytm headquarters in Noida.
- Senior IPS officer Abhay was appointed Director General of Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB). He is at present working in Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF).
- Veteran singer K S Chitra has been selected for prestigious ‘Harivarasanam’ award 2017, instituted by the Kerala government.
- Haryana shooter Anisa Sayyed won the women’s 25m pistol gold with a new record at the ongoing 61st National Shooting Championship Competitions (61st NSCC), in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala.
- 60th National Shooting Championship Competitions (Rifle/Pistol) was held in Pune, Maharashtra.
- National Rifle Association of India (NRAI) was founded in 1951.
- Raninder Singh- NRAI President.
- Bob Givens, one of the animators behind designing the iconic characters Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd, died at the age of 99. He was from the USA.
27 Dec 2017
- Actress Anushka Sharma has been named PETA’s Person of the Year by animal rights organisation People for Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA).
- PETA is the largest animal rights organization in the world.
- Ingrid Newkirk- President, PETA.
- PETA India, based in Mumbai, was launched in January 2000.
Saudi Arabia is hosting a world chess tournament for the first time, nearly two years after the country’s top cleric issued a religious edict against playing the board game. The tournament has been named as the King Salman World Rapid and Blitz Chess Championships. The world’s top three chess players from Norway, Armenia and Azerbaijan are participating in the tournament.
- Legendary South African musician Robbie Malinga passed away. The veteran musician suffered from anaemia.
26 Dec 2017
- Vijay Rupani was sworn in at a grand ceremony in the State capital of Gandhinagar as the Chief Minister of Gujarat state.
- Vijay Rupani is the 14th CM of Gujarat.
- Om Prakash Kohli is the Present Governor of Gujarat.
- Nitin Patel is the Deputy CM of Gujarat.
- Amazon has bought an Andover, Massachusetts-based company ‘Blink’ that makes Internet-connected doorbells and security cameras.
- Samsung, Axis Bank Tie-up to Offer ‘Bill Payments’ on Samsung Pay
- Samsung is the Korean Based company.
- Dr. Oh-Hyun Kwon- Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of Samsung.
- Axis Bank CEO- Shikha Sharma, Headquarters- Mumbai.
Indian boxers have claimed three gold, a silver, and a bronze medal at the Galym Zharylgapov Boxing Tournament in Karaganda, Kazakhstan.
In the event, the country’s Gold Medal winners were K Shyam Kumar in 49kg, Naman Tanwar in 91kg and Satish Kumar in the 91kg category claimed gold medals. The19-year-old Naman Tanwar was also adjudged the best boxer of the tournament.
25 Dec 2017
- On 24th Dec 2017, Brand Bengaluru’s own logo was launched at the ‘Namma Bengaluru Habba Festival’ in Bangalore. The tagline states – “Bengaluru – Be u”
- Sushil Kumar became the most expensive wrestler of the PWL (Pro Wrestling League) in New Delhi.
24 Dec 2017
- Jai Ram Thakur to be new Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister.
- Barney Harford, former chief executive of Orbitz, was appointed as Chief Operating officer (COO) of Uber Technologies.
- On December 21, 2017 it was announced that shooting has been excluded from the 2022 edition of Commonwealth Games.
- Vijender Singh defeated Ernest Amuzu at the Sawai Mansingh Stadium in Jaipur for the show “Rajasthan Rumble” and retained his WBO Oriental and Asia Pacific super middleweight titles.
- On 24th Dec 2017, India lost against Bangladesh in the final and became runners-up of the SAFF U15 Women’s Championship in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
23 Dec 2017
- Kumi Naidoo, a human rights activist from South Africa has been appointed as the next Secretary General of Amnesty International.
- American aid expert Henrietta Fore appointed to head UNICEF.
- On 23rd Dec 2017, BCCI appointed Saba Karim as General manager of Cricket Operations.
- Professor Dhirendra Pal Singh appointed as UGC Chairman.
- On Dec 21st 2017, former NASA astronaut Bruce McCandless, first person to fly in space without tethers, passed away.
22 Dec 2017
- Brand trust report, India study 2017 has ranked Patanjali as India’s most trusted Fast Moving consumer Goods (FMCG) brand.
- Actor Salman Khan has been ranked number one on the sixth Forbes India celebrity 100 List.
- The 2017 NASSCOM-DSCI excellence award has been awarded to the cyber section of Kolkata Police.
- On 21st Dec 2017, Prabhat Kumar Sinha was appointed as the Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of the Northern Coalfields Limited.
- Lieutenant General B S Sahrawat has taken charge as Director General of National Cadet Corps (NCC)
- Indian Women Cricketers Ekta Bisht, Mithali Raj and Hamanpreet Kaur have been selected to the ICC Women’s team of the year.
- National Mathematics Day is celebrated on 22nd December in the memory of mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan’s birth anniversary.
21 Dec 2017
- On 21st December, Authors Mamang Dai and Ramesh Kuntal Megh were announced Sahitya Akademi award winners 2017. Mamang Dai has been awarded Sahitya Akademi award for his novel, The Black Hill, in English. Ramesh Kuntal Megh has been awarded for his literary criticism Vishw Mithak Sarit Sagar, in Hindi.
- On 21st December 2017, Louise Martin, president of the Commonwealth Games Federation announced Birmingham as Host city of the 2022 Commonwealth Games.
20 Dec 2017
- Lionel Messi bags Marca’s award for best player in La Liga 2016-2017 season. He received the Pichichi award and the Alfredo Di Stefano award instituted by Marca Sports Journal.
- On 18th December 2017, Aakarshi Kashyap won both Under-17 and Under-19 singles titles at the Junior National Badminton Championships in Guwahati.
- Kerala Kings became the first-ever T10 Cricket League champion at Sharjah Cricket Stadium, in Sharjah, United Arab Emirates.
- On 19th December 2017, India defeated Nepal in the ongoing SAFF U-15 Women’s Championship at Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- On 20th December 2017, International Human Solidarity Day was observed all over the world.
19 Dec 2017
- On 17th December 2017, Shree Saini was crowned ‘Miss India USA 2017’ at the pageant held at Royal Alberts Palace in Edison, New Jersey.
- Ola has acquired online food delivery firm Foodpanda India from Delivery Hero AG in an all-stock deal.
- Indian junior boxers won 6 gold, 4 silver and 1 bronze medal and finished as overall champions at the fifth International Sven Lange Memorial Tournament, Schwerin, Germany.
- On 19th December 2017, 56th Goa Liberation Day was celebrated in Goa.
18 Dec 2017
- Union Agriculture and Farmers Welfare Minister, Radha Mohan Singh has announced that India is the second largest producer (after China) of horticultural crops and fruits in the world.
- On December 18, 2017, Union Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas Minister, Dharmendra Pradhan stated that, Iraq has overtaken Saudi Arabia to become India’s top crude oil supplier in 2017-18.
- On 15th December 2017, it was announced that Bengali poet Joy Goswami will be honoured with the Moortidevi Award for the year 2017.
- On 18th December 2017, it was announced that Scientific Advisor to the Defence Minister G Satheesh Reddy will be awarded the National Design Award.
- The England’s women cricket team has won the BBC Team of the year award after it won against India in the World Cup 2017.
Other awardees of the BBC Awards 2017 are as follows:
|BBC Sports Personality of the Year||Mo Farah|
|BBC Overseas Sports Personality of the Year||Roger Federer|
|BBC Lifetime Achievement||Jessica Ennis-Hill|
|BBC Coach of the Year||Benke Blomkvist, Stephen Maguire & Christian Malcolm|
- Francois Gabart, a French sailor, has broken the record for sailing around the world alone by circumnavigating the world in 42 days and 16 hours.
- On 17th December 2017, former Brazilian World Cup champion Ricardo Kaka made the announcement of his retirement as a football player.
- On 17th December 2017, PV Sindhu won silver medal at the Dubai World Badminton Superseries Finals 2017.
- On 17th December 2017, Sushil Kumar and Sakshi Malik won gold medals at the Commonwealth Wrestling Championships in Johannesburg, South Africa.
- On 18th December 2017, National Minority Rights Day was observed all over India.
17 Dec 2017
- On 13th December 2017, billionaire businessman Andrej Babis was appointed Czech prime minister.
- On 15th December 2017, Ravindra Jaiswal was appointed as the next Ambassador of India to Sudan.
- On 15th December 2017, Pradeep Kumar Gupta was appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Mali.
- Indian Junior Girls have claimed four gold, three silver and a bronze medal at the Valeria Demyanova Memorial International Boxing Tournament in Ukraine.
- Real Madrid won the final against Gremio and claimed the FIFA Club World Cup UAE 2017. Real Madrid has become the first side in the history of the FIFA Club World Cup to retain the trophy.
16 Dec 2017
- Roger Federer has been voted BBC overseas sports personality of the year for a record fourth time.
- On 15th December 2017, the emblems of the Beijing 2022 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games, respectively named “Winter Dream” and “Flight,” were unveiled at the National Aquatic Center, Beijing, China.
15 Dec 2017
- Oxford Dictionaries has declared “Youthquake” as 2017’s Word of the Year, reflecting what it calls a political awakening among millennial voters.
- On 15th December 2017, Jitesh Singh Deo bagged the title of Peter England Mr India 2017. Jitesh Singh Deo hails from Lucknow. He will now represent India at Mr World 2020. Sixteen contestants from across India competed for the title.
14 Dec 2017
- ‘Feminism’ has been named word of the year 2017 by the American dictionary Merriam-Webster.
- Retired Basketball Legend Michael Jordan becomes the Highest-Paid Athlete of All Time – Forbes.
- Former Director-General of Police of Punjab and Mumbai Police Commissioner Julio Ribeirowill be honoured with ‘Police Jeevan Gaurav Award’ by the Arvind Inamdar Foundation on December 29, 2017.
- On 13th December 2017, world youth champion Sachin Siwach was named the Asian Boxing Confederation’s best youth boxer of the year 2017.
- On 14th December 2017, National Energy Conservation Day was celebrated all over India.
13 Dec 2017
- On 12th December 2017, football legend Diego Maradona unveiled a statue of himself at a grand Indian reception in Kolkata.
- On 13th December 2017, Rohit Sharma hit his third double hundred in ODI cricket and remained unbeaten at 208 runs in the second ODI against Sri Lanka in Mohali.
- On 11th December 2017, the Board of Control of Cricket in India (BCCI) confirmed in its Special General Meeting (SGM) that India will host the One Day International World Cup in 2023 and the Champions Trophy in 2021. This is the first time India would be hosting an ODI World Cup completely.
12 Dec 2017
- Bollywood actor Priyanka Chopra has been honoured with Mother Teresa Memorial award for social justice 2017.
- Six top diplomats, including India’s Lakshmi Puri, have been felicitated with the inaugural Diwali “Power of One” award at New York, for their contribution to help form a more perfect, peaceful and secure world.
- Nakul Chopra, President of AAAI and Senior Advisor, Publicis Communications, has been elected as the next Chairman of BARC India.
- On 11th December 2017, Shubhankar Sharma of India won the Joburg Open golf tournament to qualify for 2018 edition of the British Open.
- On 9th December 2017, Mehuli Ghosh and Tushar Mane became the first Indian shooters to secure the women’s and men’s quota places for the 2018 Youth Olympic Games (YOG).
11 Dec 2017
- FE Best Banks Awards – SBI bags best Nationalised Bank awardWinners of FE Best Banks Awards 2015-16:
Category Winner Best Nationalised Bank State Bank of India (SBI) Best Old Private Sector Bank City Union Bank Best New Private Sector Bank HDFC Bank Lifetime Achievement Award Uday Kotak Banker of the Year Arundhati Bhattacharya Special Initiative Award Shriram Transport Finance Best Fintech Policybazaar.com Best Fintech Juspay Technologies Best Non- Banking Financial Institution Ujjivan Financial Services Best Mobile Banking Application ICICI Bank Best Savings Bank Product Kotak Mahindra Bank
On 10th December 2017, Vice President of India, M. Venkaiah Naidu conferred the ‘Yeraringan’ Award to Prof. M.S. Swaminathan, in Chennai.
Jitu Rai and Heena Sidhu bagged a bronze medal each at the 10th Asian Championship in Wako City, Japan.
On December 10, 2017, Australia won gold in the Hockey World League 2016-17 by defeating Argentina in the finals.
The Indian diving team won 6 medals (1 gold, 3 silver and 2 bronze medal) in “Road to Asian Games 2018” Indonesia Open Aquatic Championship 2017 held at Jakarta from December 5 to 9, 2017. Siddhart Pardeshi won the gold medal in the 10 m Platform event by securing 345.90 points.
10 Dec 2017
- On 8th December 2017, India’s largest carmaker Maruti Suzuki became India’s sixth most valued firm, crossing India’s largest lender SBI (State Bank of India). Reliance Industries is India’s most valued company with a market value of ₹5.8 trillion, followed by TCS, HDFC Bank, ITC and Hindustan Unilever.
- Diddy, an American businessman, rapper, songwriter, actor, record producer, and entrepreneur has been named the highest earning musician of 2017 by Forbes magazine.
- Uma Shankar has been appointed as Executive Director (ED) of Reserve Bank of India (RBI). Prior to this elevation, Uma Shankar held the position of Chief General Manager (CGM) in charge of financial inclusion and development department at RBI.
- On 9th December 2017, Aryan Goveas and Arjun Kadhe won the doubles title in the $15,000 ITF (International Tennis Federation) Futures tennis tournament, in Cairo, Egypt.
- India is to host its first-ever major boxing tournament for elite men and women, ‘India Open International Boxing Tournament’, January 28 to February 1, 2018 in New Delhi.
9 Dec 2017
- Renowned Hindi writer, Mamta Kalia has been chosen for 27th Vyas Samman for her novel “Dukkham Sukkham”.
- Renowned Hindi writer, Mamta Kalia has been chosen for 27th Vyas Samman for her novel “Dukkham Sukkham”.
- On 7th December 2017, K. Jeeva Sagar was appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the State of Kuwait.
- Indian shooters bagged five medals on the opening day of the 10th Asian Airgun Shooting Championships which is being held in Wako City, Japan.
- Ravi Kumar won an individual bronze in the men’s 10m air rifle event. Arjun Babuta won individual silver in the junior men’s 10m air rifle event.
- In men’s 10m air rifle, Ravi Kumar, Gagan Narang and Deepak Kumar won Team Silver. In the junior men’s 10m air rifle, Arjun Babuta, Krishna Prasad Tejas and Sunmoon Singh Brar won Team Silver.
- In the women’s 10m air rifle, Anjum Moudgil, Pooja Ghatkar and Meghana Sajjanar, won Team Silver.
- On 8th December 2017, Spaniards Rafael Nadal and Garbine Muguruza were named as the International Tennis Federation (ITF) world champions.
- On 8th December 2017, Chandika Hathurusingha was appointed as Sri Lanka cricket team head coach with effect from December 20, 2017.
8 Dec 2017
- The Taj Mahal, India’s iconic ivory-white marble mausoleum in Agra, is the second best UNESCO world heritage site in the world, according to a new survey by online travel portal TripAdvisor.
- Star Screen Awards, the annual film awards recognises the best of talent in Hindi films. Vidya Balan bagged the award for Best Actress (Critics) for Tumhari Sulu, Irrfan won the Best Actor Award for his performance in Hindi Medium.
ii. Rajkummar Rao won the Best Actor Award (Critics) for Newton & Best Actor in a Supporting Role Award for Bareilly Ki Barfi as well.
- Shri Azar A.H.Khan, presently Consul General in the Consulate General of India, Istanbul has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to Turkmenistan.
- The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan has named noted Indian businessman, Deepak Parekh, as ‘International Ambassador’ who will be tasked with championing the UK capital across the globe.
- Nagpur’s Kanchanmala Pande created history as she became the first Indian to secure pole position at the World Para-Swimming Championship in Mexico.
- Cristiano Ronaldo (from Portugal) has won the Ballon d’Or for a fifth time to move level with rival Lionel Messi. The Real Madrid forward was named the winner of France Football’s prestigious award at a ceremony in Paris, France.
7 Dec 2017
- Armed Forces Flag Day is being observed throughout the country on 7 December to honor the martyrs and the men in uniform who valiantly fought on our borders to safeguard the country’s honour.
- India has won the first-ever South Asian Regional Badminton Team Championship. In the title clash played in Guwahati, India defeated Nepal, 3-0.
6 Dec 2017
- audi Arabia Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman has been voted the Time magazine readers’ Person of the Year, despite spearheading the continued bombardment of Yemen, leading to the starvation of its citizens.
- Sixteen-year-old Mohamad Al Jounde from Syria was awarded the International Children’s Peace Prize for his efforts to ensure the rights of Syrian refugee children.
- Russia was banned from the 2018 Winter Games by the International Olympic Committee over its state-orchestrated doping programme, but clean Russian athletes will be allowed to compete under an Olympic flag.
- Mujeeb-ur-Rehman Zadran, the 16-year-old off-spinner, became the youngest ever from Afghanistan to play International cricket and overall he is the 9th youngest to make debut in ODI cricket.
5 Dec 2017
- Ellie Goulding Honored as UN Environment Global Goodwill Ambassador.
- India’s Largest Floating Solar Power Plant Opens in Kerala. The largest-ever floating solar power plant in India inaugurated by state power minister MM Man at the Banasura Sagar dam in Wayanad. The solar power plant that floats on the surface of the water has a capacity of 500 kilowatts.
4 Dec 2017
- India’s first Madame Tussauds wax museum has been opened in New Delhi with 50 life-like figures spanning across history, sports, music, films, and politics, for the public at the iconic Regal building in central Delhi.
- Aditya Puri, the Managing Director of HDFC Bank, is the only Indian on Fortune’s ‘Businessperson of the Year’ list. The Businessperson of the Year list is an annual ranking of world’s top 20 heads of companies.
- Prithvi Shaw named India’s Captain for 2018 U-19 World Cup. The tournament is scheduled to be held in New Zealand starting January 13, 2018. This comes after Shaw slammed three tons and two fifties in five Ranji Trophy matches this season. Punjab’s Shubman Gill has been named as Shaw’s deputy.
- India’s Deepika Kumari has won bronze medal at the Indoor Archery World Cup Stage 2 that concluded in Bangkok, Thailand.
- Veteran actor Shashi Kapoor died at the age of 79. Kapoor was unwell for quite some time. The actor was admitted to the Kokilaben Hospital in Mumbai.
3 Dec 2017
- Nation on 03rd December 2017 remembered India’s first President Rajendra Prasad on his 133rd birthday. Born on December 3, 1884, in Siwan, Bihar, Prasad was a Gandhian and participated in India’s freedom movement.
Virat Kohli surpasses Brian Lara for Most Double Centuries as Captain. With a sixth double hundred, Kohli has also tied Sachin Tendulkar and Virender Sehwag for the most 200-plus scores for India in Tests. While Tendulkar had six double centuries, Sehwag had recorded four double and two triple hundreds.
2 Dec 2017
- Infosys appoints Salil Parekh as CEO and MD. He has masters degree from Cornells University and bachelors degree from IIT Bombay.
- Kohli becomes fastest batsman to hit 16,000 international runs.
- The 24-year-old model and Miss Korea Jenny Kim has bagged the title of Miss Supranational 2017 at the gala event, which was held in Poland’s Spa Resort of Krynica- Zdroj.
The word ‘populism’ has been announced as Cambridge Dictionary’s Word of the Year 2017. The dictionary defined populism as “political ideas and activities that are intended to get the support of ordinary people by giving them what they want”. It said searches for ‘populism’ rose when Pope Francis made statements warning against its rising tide.
- Kenyatta Sworn in as President of Kenya. Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta has been sworn in for a second and final five-year term, a month after winning a bitterly disputed election rerun marked by delays and boycott.
- Shiva Keshavan Wins Gold in Asian Luge Championships. The sole Indian participant and defending Asian champion Shiva Keshavan retained his title with a time of 55.60 seconds.
1 Dec 2017
- Ankushita wins the “Best Boxer” title in AIBA Women’s Youth World Championship 2017.
- Pankaj Advani secures IBSF World Snooker Title 2017.