30 Aug 2017
- Google-owned YouTube has refreshed its iconic logo, Unlike minor tweaks, this is the biggest change the YouTube logo has received over the years.
- Union minister Smriti Irani & Niti Aayog Vice Chairman Arvind Panagariya awarded 12 women to recognise the transformational impact of work undertaken by them across India’s villages, towns & cities. The awardees included Sunita Kamble, Raji Borthakur, Safeena Husain & Arunima Sinha.
- Prime Minister Modi dedicated a hanging bridge built across the Chambal river at Kota to the nation.
- Tata group hospitality firm Indian Hotels Company has appointed Deutsche Hospitality chief executive Puneet Chhatwal as its managing director and CEO.
- A 13-year-old Indian-origin boy, Dhruv Garg in the UK has got the highest possible score of 162 on a Mensa IQ test.
- Paytm has rebranded its Postcard feature as Lifafa following its feud with India Post.
- Mohammad Mustafa has assumed office as the chairman and managing director of Small Industries Development Bank of India.
29 Aug 2017
- India is ranked seventh in the world in a survey of countries that have a positive influence on global affairs. Canada is ranked first, with a whopping 81% believing influences the world positively .
- Nitasha Biswas, a trans woman who hails from Kolkata, was crowned Miss Trans Queen India 2017, winner of the first beauty pageant for trans women in the country.
- National Sports Day in India is celebrated on August 29, the birthday of Dhyan Chand, one of the greatest field hockey players of all time.
28 Aug 2017
- Real Madrid and Portugal forward Cristiano Ronaldo was named the UEFA Player of the Year 2017.
- Lieke Martens was named UEFA Women’s Player of the Year after leading the Netherlands to the 2017 Women’s Euro title this summer on home soil.
- Lalrokima and Vikram struck in the second half to guide India to SAFF Under-15 Championship title win as India beat Nepal.
- Denmark’s Viktor Axelsen defeated Lin Dan in straight games to claim the men’s singles gold at the World Championships in Glasgow.
- Uber has chosen Expedia CEO Dara Khosrowshahi as its new CEO.
- Justice Dipak Misra was sworn in as the 45th Chief Justice of India. He is succeeding Justice JS Khehar, who retired as CJI on August 27.
- PV Sindhu won the silver medal at the 2017 World Championship. She was defeated by Nozomi Okuhara of Japan.
- Lewis Hamilton defeated Formula 1 title rival Sebastian Vettel in the Belgian Grand Prix to close the gap in the championship to seven points.
- Barcelona star Lionel Messi became the first player to pass 350 goals in La Liga with a double for Barcelona in the 2-0 win against Alaves. He is only the second player in European football to reach the 350-goal mark.
27 Aug 2017
- Floyd Mayweather beat Conor McGregor on 26th Aug 2017 in boxing superfight.
- BSE’s board has approved another 5-year term for its chief Ashish Chauhan.
- Vijaya Bank has launched ‘100 Digital Villages’ initiative in an effort to bring residents of these villages under the formal banking system.
- Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba has been named the Europa League Player of the Season for 2016-17.
- Senior diplomat Randhir Kumar Jaiswal was appointed as the social secretary to President Ram Nath Kovind.
- 4 time champion Mo Farah ended his track career with victory in 5,000m at Diamond League final.
- Minister of Youth Affairs & Sports Vijay Goel announced the first edition of Rural Games or Grameen Khel Mahotsav, which will kick-start on August 28 in the national capital.
- Saina Nehwal had to settle for a bronze medal at the World Badminton Championships after a heartbreaking loss against Nozomi Okuhara of Japan in women’s singles semi-finals.
26 Aug 2017
- Reserve Bank of India has issued new Rs 200 and Rs 50 denomination banknotes in the Mahatma Gandhi (New) Series, bearing the signature of RBI Governor Urjit Patel.
- The Yogi Adityanath-led Uttar Pradesh government will implement a new policy to promote Khadi in the state.
- Govt has restricted imports of gold & silver items from South Korea in a bid to check spurt in inbound shipments of precious metals.
25 Aug 2017
- Indian weightlifter Konsam Ormila Devi has bagged a gold medal at the Asian Youth and Junior Weightlifting Championships in Kathmandu, Nepal.
- India will host men’s World Championship for the 1st time in 2021.
- Ridesharing app Uber has appointed Sanjay Gupta as the Head of Marketing for its India operation.
- Google’s chief executive officer Sundar Pichai is going to join Google’s parent company Alphabet’s board of directors.
24 Aug 2017
- In a landmark decision, the Supreme Court has declared right to privacy a fundamental right under the Constitution.
- Tata Sons has appointed Roopa Purushothaman as chief economist & head of policy advocacy.
- PM Modi & Priyanka Chopra have found a spot in LinkedIn Power Profiles List of 2017. Through the list, LinkedIn recognizes 50 such professionals, who have successfully invested in building their professional brand on the platform.
- Rajiv Bansal, the Additional Secretary and the Financial Advisor of the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas, has been appointed as the interim CMD of Air India.
- Govt has finalized a new policy for allocation of cadre to officers of three all India services – IAS, IPS and IFS. Centre has decided to divide all 26 existing cadres into 5 zones & officers will have to choose cadres from a set of zones instead of states.
23 Aug 2017
- Ashwani Lohani, the CMD of Air India has been named as the new Chairman of Railway Board, following the resignation on A.K. Mittal.
- Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba founder Jack Ma has become Asia’s richest person with net worth of USD 338.3bn.
- Supreme court strikes down instant triple talaq.
- Hyderabad based startup, Paynear Solution was awarded ‘Best Use of Mobile Technology in Financial Services in Asia’ at the ‘Eighth CMO Asia Excellence’ awards, which were held in Singapore.
- Indian American novelist and playwright Padma Viswanathan is the recipient of the 2017 Porter Fund Literary Prize for fiction.
22 Aug 2017
- On August 22, 2017 Our Government announced the list of awardees of National Sports Awards 2017. National Sports Awards are distributed every year to recognize excellence in sports.
- Types of National Sports Awards:-
- Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award is given outstanding performance in the field of sports by a sportsperson over a period of four year.
- Arjuna Award is for consistency outstanding performance for four years
- Dronacharya Award for coaches for producing medal winners at International sports events.
Dhyan Chand Award for life time contribution to sports development.
Name of Awardees selected for National sports award 2017
(i) Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna 2017
|Name of the Awardee||Fields|
|Shri Devendra||Para Athlete|
|Shri Sardar Singh||Hockey|
(ii) Dronacharya Awards 2017
|Name of the Awardee||Fields|
|Late Dr. R. Gandhi||Athletics|
|Mr. Heera Nand Kataria||Kabaddi|
|Mr. G.S.S.V. Prasad||Badminton (Lifetime)|
|Mr. Brij Bhushan Mohanty||Boxing (Lifetime)|
|Mr. P.A. Raphel||Hockey (Lifetime)|
|Mr. Sanjoy Chakraverthy||Shooting (Lifetime)|
|Mr. Roshan Lal||Wrestling (Lifetime|
(iii) Dhyan Chand Award
|Name of the Awardee||Fields|
|Mr. Bhupender Singh||Athletics|
|Mr. Syed Shahid Hakim||Football|
|Ms. Sumarai Tete||Hockey|
(iv) Arjuna Awards 2017
|Name of the Awardees||Fields|
|Ms. V.J. Surekha||Archery|
|Ms. Khushbir Kaur||Athletics|
|Mr. Arokia Rajiv||Athletics|
|Ms. Prasanthi Singh||Basketball|
|Sub. LaishramDebendro Singh||Boxing|
|Ms. Harmanpreet Kaur||Cricket|
|Ms. OinamBembem Devi||Football|
|Mr. S.S.P. Chawrasia||Golf|
|Mr. S.V. Sunil||Hockey|
|Mr. Jasvir Singh||Kabaddi|
|Mr. P. N. Prakash||Shooting|
|Mr. A. Amalraj||Table Tennis|
|Mr. Varun Singh Bhati||Para-Athlete|
- On August 21,2017 Senior AIADMK leader O Panneerselvam was sworn in as the deputy chief minister of Tamilnadu.
- On August 21, 2017 Google has announced the final version of Android 8.0, now known to be called Oreo.
- CISF ADG Dharmendra Kumar has been appointed as director general of the Railway Protection Force.
21 Aug 2017
- Qatar will build a stadium shaped like an Arabian cap for the 2022 FIFA World Cup.
- An Indian-origin boy, 12-year-old Rahul Doshi was crowned as the UK’s ‘Child Genius’in a popular television quiz competition on 20 August 2017.
- The Cincinnati Masters currently called the Western & Southern Open is an annual outdoor hard court tennis event. Winners list below:-
- Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov won his first Men’s singles Masters 1000 title.
- Garbine Muguruza of Spain won women’s singles.
- Frenchmen Pierre-Hugues Herbert and Nicolas Mahut won Men’s Cincinnati Doubles.
- Chan Yung-jan and Martina Hingis captured women’s double.
- Australia, playing for the first time at the rebranded FIBA Asia Cup, became the first Oceanic team to be crowned champions of Asia.
20 Aug 2017
- Preethi Srinivasan, the former State under-19 cricket captain, who braved a debilitate accident to support those suffering from spinal cord injuries like her was presented with the ‘Kalpana Chawla Award for Courage and Daring Enterprise’.
- According to a statement from the Chief Minister’s Office the Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrashekhar Rao has been selected for the prestigious Agriculture Leadership Award-2017.
- The Reserve Bank of India has accorded their approval for the appointment of Shri P R Seshadri as Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer of the Karur Vysya Bank (KVB).
- The birthday of Shri Rajiv Gandhi is celebrated on 20th August every year. It is called Sadbhavana Diwas. The Sadbhavana Diwas 2017 is the 73rd birth anniversary of Rajiv Gandhi.
19 Aug 2017
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) will soon release Rs 50 denomination banknotes in the Mahatma Gandhi (New) Series, having signature of Governor Urjit R. Patel.
- Nestle India has tied up with Amazon India for the launch of its new Nutritious range of Maggi Noodles.
- On August 16, 2017 Dr. (Ms.) Mamta Suri took charge as Executive Director, Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI) in New Delhi.
- Russian President Vladimir Putin has appointed career diplomat Nikolay Kudashev as Russia’s new ambassador to India announced on 19th August 2017.
- Rear Admiral Travis Sinniah was appointed as the chief of Sri Lankas naval forces.
- India captain Virat Kohli continues to top the ICC One-Day International rankings.It has been announced on 18th of Aug 2017.
- American Tennis Player Serena Williams has topped the Forbes’ list of highest paid female athletes of 2017 with $27 million in earnings between June 2016 and June 2017.
- India’s junior para-athlete Rinku Hooda won a silver medal in the Javelin Throw F46 at the first World Para Athletics Junior Championships.
18 Aug 2017
- Dr Nanda Kumar Jairam, CEO, Chairman and Group Medical Director, Columbia Asia Hospitals, India, has been awarded the ‘Healthcare Personality of the Year’ award 2017.
- Five Indian-origin persons, including Irish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar, have featured in Fortunes annual list of 40 young and influential people in the field of business inspiring others with their work.
- Vishal Sikka has resigned from his post as Managing Director and CEO of Infosys on 18th of August 2017.
- Neymar, his first win with Paris St. Germain and his world-record signing for the club became a goodwill ambassador for Handicap International on 15th of August 2017.
- On the 7th World Dwarf Gamesthe 21-member Indian contingenthold a record of 37 medals. It was held in Toronto, Canada. India had won 15 gold, 10 silver and 12 bronze medals in the World Dwarf Games.
- Young Indian shuttler Lakshya Sen has won the Bulgaria Open International Series title on 16th of August 2017.
17 Aug 2017
- Emma Stone has been named Hollywood’s best-paid female actor in Forbes’ annual list of top earners.
- Sohail Mahmood Pakistan’s High Commissioner to India took charge at the High Commission on 16th of August 2017.
- General Motors (GM) India has announced the appointment of Sanjiv Gupta as the new President and Managing Director of the company.
- Real Madrid won the Spanish Super Cup for the 10th time with a 2-0 win over Barcelona
16 Aug 2017
- Italy would be hosting the summit of Group of Seven Interior Ministers to discuss on security matters in October 2017.
- Australian city Melbourne has topped the Global Liveability Rankings compiled by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) for seventh-straight year.
- Tennis Player Rafael Nadal return to the number one spot in ATP ranking after 3 years.
- Alexander Zverev beats Roger Federer by 6-3, 6-4 points in the Rogers Cup final on 13th of August 2017.
- India has won 10 medals, including two gold medals in the 6th Golden Glove women’s Boxing Tournament at Vojvodina, Serbia.
- Jyoti has won Gold in 51 kgcategory, and Vanlal haritpuii bagged it in 60 kgcategory.
- The silver medals were bagged by Anjali in 48kg, Sakshi in 54kg, Ashtha in 69kg and Anupama in 81kg categories.
15 Aug 2017
- Retired IAS officer I V SubbaRao was appointed secretary to Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu.
- Tata Motors has announced the appointment of P B Balaji as the new Chief Financial Officer.
- India finished their campaign at the 7th Asian Shotgun Championship. The pair of Mairaj Ahmad Khan and RashmmiRathore bagged a gold medal in the skeet mixed team event on the concluding day on 13th of August 2017.
14 Aug 2017
- Gabriel Chundan, the snake boat powered by oarsmen of Thuruthippuram Boat Clubhas won the 65th edition of the prestigious Nehru Trophy held at the Punnamda Lake.
- On August 15,2017 ,According to the global leader in broadband testing Ookla declared that Norway has the fastest mobile Internet in the world.
- India claimed their first ever 3-0 series win overseas, beating Sri Lanka in the third and the final Test at Pallekele International Cricket Stadium, Sri Lanka by an innings and 171 runs.
13 Aug 2017
- The 9 year old Kaamya Karthikeyan became the youngest person to reach the summit of the 6,153 metres-high Mt Stok Kangri in Kashmir.
- Bollywood star Aishwarya Rai Bachchan has become the first female actor ever to hoist the Indian National Flag at the Indian Film Festival of Melbourne (IFFM),Australia’s annual celebration of film from India and the subcontinent. Aishwarya was also bestowed with ‘Excellence in Global Cinema’ award at the film festival.
- National Payments Corporation of India has appointed Dilip Asbe, as its Chief Executive Officer in the wake of the retirement of A. P. Hota, its founding Managing Director.
- Former Indian track and field sprinter Milkha Singh has been appointed as the World Health Organisation’s goodwill ambassador for physical activity in South-East Asia Region (SEAR).
- National Award winning actressVidya Balan and Gautami has appointed as part of the reconstituted Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) on 11th of August 2017.
- African-American author Nora K. Jemisin, has won the Hugo Award for Best Novel 2017 for her work ‘The Obelisk Gate’.
- Maheshwari Chauhan has won an individual bronze medal at the 7th Asian Championship Shotgun in Astana, Kazakhstan.
12 Aug 2017
- Three Indian firms namely Hindustan Unilever, Asian Paints and BhartiAirtel are among Forbes’ list of the world’s 100 most innovative companies.
- Salesforce.com has replaced Tesla Motors on the top position.
- The Hindu Playwright Award 2017 is awarded to GerishKhemani and Akshat Nigam for their play ‘In Search of DariyaSagar’.
- Veteran journalist T J S George has bagged for the first Kesari Media Awardannounced on 11th of August 2017.
- Bollywood lyricist-screenwriter and ad guru Prasoon Joshi has replaced PahlajNihalani as CBFC chairperson.
- Kenya’s President President Uhuru Kenyatta has won a second and final five-year term as president.
- David Rasquinha has been appointed as Managing Director of Export-Import Bank of India (Exim Bank) on August 11, 2017.
11 Aug 2017
- ReenatSandhu, (lFS: 1989), presently Ambassador of lndia to ltaly. She has been concurrently accredited as the next Ambassador of lndia to the Republic of San Marino, with residence in Rome.
- Real Madrid, a professional football club of Spain, has won the 2017 UEFA Super Cup football tournament by defeating Manchester United in the final by 2-1.
- Davinder Singh Kang has become the first Indian to qualify for the final round of the javelin throw World Championships.
- According to the previous FIFA rankings ,India dropped one step to be placed 97th in the latest edition of the FIFA rankings issued on 10th of August 2017.
10 Aug 2017
- According to Asian Cities & Regions Outlook 2016 by Oxford Economics, Delhi will have the fastest growth among all Asian cities with the economy growing almost 50 percent larger in 2021 than it was at the end of last year.
- Facebook has launched Youtube competitor called ‘Watch’ on 10th of August 2017.
- Upendra Kushwaha, Minister of State, Ministry of Human Resource Development has launched the NCERT’s Web portal for supply of textbooks to schools and individuals in New Delhi on 9th of Aug 2017.
- Vizag’s Rayichapalu is declared one of the rarest fish in the world by researchers from the Marine Living Resources Department of Andhra University.
- India shooter Shapath Bhardwaj, aged 15, has become the country’s youngest athlete to figure in the government’s Target Olympic Podium (TOP) scheme.
- Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas celebrated the World Biofuel Day 2017 on 10thof August 2017 to create awareness about non fossil-fuels such as biodiesel, ethanol, biogas, etc.
9 Aug 2017
- Vijaya Bank has disbursed loan sanction letters to beneficiaries who were trained at the Vijaya Bank Self Employment Training Institute (VIBSETI) in Bhenslay Village, Indore, Madhya Pradesh.
- On August 8, 2018, Union Government appointed Justice Dipak Misra as the 45th Chief Justice of India (CJI) with effect from August 28, 2017. He will be replacing incumbent Justice J S Khehar, who is set to retire on August 27, 2017.
- Kynan Chenai won Bronze at 7th Asian Shortgun Championship.
- The nation is celebrating the 75th anniversary of the Quit India Movement on 9th of August 2017.
8 Aug 2017
- Dev Patel to be honoured with Asia Society Game Changers Award. Indian-origin actor Dev Patel is to be honoured by a leading educational organisation for making a “transformative and positive” difference for the future of Asia and the world.
- Indian-American Dilip Chauhan has been appointed Deputy Comptroller to the minority affairs in Nassau County announced on 8th August 2017.
- Hritik Roshan has been signed as a brand ambassador by a health and wellness startup Cure.fit announced on 8th of August 2017.
- In the latest International Cricket Council (ICC) Test rankings, Ravindra Jadeja has been ranked as World No. 1 all-rounder after eclipsing Shakib Al Hasan of Bangladesh.
7 Aug 2017
- Firoz Merchant, an Indian businessman in the United Arab Emirates (UAE), who has spent over USD 4 million to help free prisoners languishing in jails due to non-payment of debts, has been honoured with UAE’s prestigious Community Service Medal.
- Senior bureaucrat S Aparna, presently Principal Secretary to Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani, has been appointed as an Executive Director in the World Bank in the US.
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) has beaten Bengaluru Hockey Association (BHA) by 4-2 in the final in 91st All-India MCC-Murugappa Gold Cup hockey tournament on 6th of August 2017.
- Indian shooter Ankur Mittal has won the individual as well as the team gold medal in Men’s double trap at the 7th Asian Shotgun Championship on 5th of August 2017.
- The world’s shortest woman Jyoti Amge has presented a 51-feet high book at a programme on 6th of August 2017. Book name is Kadve Vachan.
6 Aug 2017
- BJP-led National Democratic Alliance nominee and former Union Minister, M Venkaiah Naidu has been elected as the 13th Vice President of India.
- Rajiv Kumar has been appointed the new Vice Chairman of the NITI Aayog on 5th of August 2017. He is an economist who has served in a wide variety of roles in government, think-tanks, international organizations, industry associations and academia.
- On August 5, 2015, Boxer Vijender Singh of India defeated China’s Zulpikar Maimaitialito win the unified WBO Asia Pacific and Oriental Super Middleweight title in Mumbai.
- Usain Bolt has finished third in his final individual event at the World Athletics Championships on 6th of August 2017.
- India’s Manju Kumari clinched the bronze medal in women’s 59kg category of the Junior World Wrestling Championship in Tampere, Finland.
5 Aug 2017
- Payback India has appointed Gautam Kaushik as the new Chief Executive Officer(CEO). He will spearhead Payback’s India operations.
- Indian doubles pair of Joshna Chinappa and Dipika Pallikal Karthik bagged for a bronze medal at the WSF World Doubles Squash Championship.
4 Aug 2017
- JK Rowling, the creator of Harry Potter tops the ranking of the highest paid author by Forbes with earnings of £72m ($95) this year announced on 4th of May 2017.
- Veteran actress and national award winner Sharada has been selected for this year’s Prem Nazir Award.
- The AIFF has appointed senior advocate Ushanath Banerjee as the chairman of a special committee. It will deal with the players’ transfer disputes’.
- Air Marshal Hemant Narayan Bhagwat has taken over as Air Officer-in-Charge Administration of Indian Air Force at Air Headquarters , New Delhi on August 1, 2017.
- Shri Prabhat Kumar, (IFS 1991), presently Ambassador of India to Colombia has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Kazakhstan announced on 3rd of August 2017.
- Senior bureaucrat Mohammad Mustafa was appointed as Chairman and Managing Director in Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) announced on 4th of August 2017.
- Neymar has become the most expensive player in football history after completing his blockbuster transfer to Paris Saint-Germain from Barcelona for 222 million euros ($262 million).
3 Aug 2017
- Hassan Rouhani was officially sworn in as the President of Iran for a second term.
- InCred, the Mumbai-based new age financial services group, has signed up Rahul Dravid, as its Brand Ambassador the former Captain of Indian Cricket Team.
- The Punjab state government has appointed Harmanpreet Kaur to the post of Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) in the state police. Harmanpreet, the all-rounder cricketer had made 171 runs from 115 balls against Australia in the semi-finals and steered India into the ICC Women’s World Cup 2017 final.
2 Aug 2017
- Former India hockey captain Dhanraj Pillay was honoured with the ‘Bharat Gaurav’ by East Bengal Football Club on its foundation day on 1st August 2017. Gurwinder Singh bagged the Footballer of the Year award while Boddupalli Amitwas awarded as the Cricketer of the Year.
- The US Senate has confirmed Christopher Wray to lead the FBI announced on 2nd of August 2017.
- Sanjaya Baru has appointed as the Secretary General of the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) on 2nd of August 2017.
- Peter O’Neill has been reappointed as Prime Minister of Papua New Guinea announced on 2nd of August 2017.
- Indian Super League Club FC Goa has confirmed the signing of Moroccan International Ahmed Jahouh on a one year loan deal from FUS Rabat of Morocco.
1 Aug 2017
- The Supreme Court has imposed a ban on the use of five harmful heavy metals likelithium, antimony, mercury, arsenic and lead in the manufacturing of firecrackers as they cause air and noise pollution.
- Reliance Industries Chairman Mukesh Ambani has become Asia’s 2nd richest personannounced on 1st of August 2017. Ambani Net worth is $35.2 billion.
- Tech giant Cisco has named Sameer Garde as President for its India and Saarc operations announced on 31st of July 2017.
- Lt General Abhay Krishna has appointed as the Chief of the Indian Army’s Eastern Command on 1st of August 2017.
- According to the latest ICC Test Rankings Ravindra Jadeja maintained his top positionin the bowlers’ list while India skipper Virat Kohli remained stayed at fifth place in the batting charts released on 1st of August 2017.
- Paris will host the 2024 Summer OlympicsGames. Los Angeles will host the 2028 Summer Olympics after reaching a deal with Olympic organizers, the Los Angeles Times reported on 31st of July 2017.