30th April 2017
- Japan has selected former Union Minister Ashwani Kumar for this year’s ‘Order of the Rising Sun’ award for his contribution to strengthening of bilateral ties between Japan and India.
- Indian Sand artist Sudarsan Pattnaik wins Gold medal in Moscow Competition.
- Pankaj Advani wins silver in Asian Snooker Championship.
- Gul Panag first Indian woman to drive Formula E racing car at a racetrack.
29th April 2017
- World’s largest two wheeler manufacturer Hero Motocorp gets the “Indian MNC of the year award”.
- April 29 2017 is observed as the Day of Rememberance for all Victims of Chemical Warfare by United Nations (UN).
28th April 2017
- Shah Rukh Khan becomes first Indian actor to speak at TED talks in Canada.
- El Salvador becomes the first country in the world to ban mining of metals for environmental protection.
- Bhubaneshwar, the capital city of Odisha has been selected for the 2017 Pierre L’ Enfant International Planning excellence Award by American Planning Association (APA), given for ‘Bhubaneshwar smart city plan’ based on a citizen engagement approach and envisages use of technology for improving the overall quality of life.
- Indian businessman Yusuff Ali wins Queen’s Enterprise Award 2017, for its exceptional contribution to the UK’s trade, industry & Economy.
- April 28, 2017 is celebrated as World Day for Safety & Health at Work.
27th April 2017
- India ranks 136 among 180 countries in the 2017 ‘World Press Freedom Index’, slips three places since 2016. Norway is ranked 1st.
- Srishti Kaur of India has been crowned Miss Teen Universe 2017 at Managua.
- Vani Jairam, a versatile playback singer, received the Ghantasala national award.
- Youngest Indian Chancellor, Dileep K Nair, bags Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar International Foundation Award for excellent performance in the field of education.
- Mr. Rajiv Rai Bhatnagar, IPS officer 1983 batch – Uttar Pradesh Cadre, has been appointed Director General, Central Reserve Police force.
26th April 2017
- Yes Bank has won the prestigious ‘Golden Peacock Innovative Product/Service Award 2017. The award was given for the product SIMsePAY.
- Karnataka Rural Development and Panchayat Raj Depthas bagged e-Puraskar Award.
- India has won 16 medals at US Open Karate Championship and grabbed 3 Gold 2 Silver and 11 bronze medals.
- 26th April 2017 is observed as the World Intellectual Property Day (WIP). Theme for 2017 – “Innovation – Improving Lives”.
- 26th April 2017 is marked as International Chernobyl Rememberance Day. An explosion at the Chernobyl Nuclear Plant in 1986 spread a radioactive cloud over large parts of the Soviet Union Federation.
25th April 2017
- Renowned Film Director and actor Kasinathuni Viswanath will be conferred the Dadasaheb Phalke Award – India’s Highest award in Cinema. The award will be given on 3rd May 2017.
- 101 year old Man Kaur has won Gold Medal for 100 metres sprint at the World Masters Games in Auckland on April 24, 2017.
- Shot Putter Manpreet Kaur wins gold in the Asian Grand Prix, qualifies for World Championships.
- World Malaria Day (WMD) 2017 was observed globally on 25 April 2017with the theme “End Malaria for Good”.
24th April 2017
- India becomes world’s fifth largest military spender in the year 2016. The largest military spender is United States of America.
- India has replaced Japan as the world’s second largest importer of Liquefied petroleum gas (LPG).
- 65 year old social activist, Prafulla Samantra has been announced as one of the six winners of 2017 Goldman Environmental Prize.
- P C Chandra Puraskar has been given to Nobel Laureate Kailash Satyarthi on 23rd April 2017. He was honored with the award for his global campaign against child slavery and exploitative child labor.
- Rajkumar Rao’s Newton Wins Best film at the Hong Kong International Film Festival.
- Nadal wins Men’s Singles and Bopanna & Cuevas Lift men’s doubles in the Monte Carlo Masters Tennis Tournament.
- National Panchyati Raj day is observed on 24th April every year.
23rd April 2017
- Tamil Nadu, Himachal Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh and Tripura chosen for Krishi Karman Award 2015-16, for the highest production of wheat.
- Mumbai based gynaecologist Dr. Duru Shah has been appointed as the President of the Indian Society for Assisted Reproduction(ISAR).
- Himanta Biswa Sharma has been appointed Badminton Association of India’s interim President during its executive council meeting.
- Former Ranji Cricketer Tushar Arothe has been appointed as the coach of the Indian women’s cricket team.
- The World book and Copyright day was celebrated on 23rd April 2017 across the globe.
22nd April 2017
- 91 year old gynaecologist Dr. Bhakti Yadav, the first woman doctor from Indore has received the Padma Shri Award.
- Golf Industry Association awards 2017 has been won by Golfers Aditi Ashok, S.S.P Chawrasia and Ali Sher on 20th April 2017.
- Aditi Ashok has been given the award for Outstanding Achievement.
- SSP Chawrasia has been given the award for the Men’s Player of the Year (2016)
- Golfer Ali Sher was awarded for his outstanding playing career. He won an Arjuna award in 1991.
- Bengal Film Journalists Association Awards (BFJA) has been given to Veteran Actress Moushumi Chatterjee. It is a lifetime acheivement award.
- All India Radio (AIR) Aizawl has been honored with the prestigious “Lelte award”, instituted to recognize talent and skills of the young and budding Mizo Artists.
- Cricket, Skateboarding, Sambo & Surfing are among the sports which have been removed from the 2018 Asian Games to be held in Jakarta and Palembang in Indonesia.
- International Earth Day was celebrated on April 22, 2017 with the theme – Environmental and Climate Literacy.
21st April 2017
- Prime Minister – Narendra Modi and Paytm Founder – Vijay Shekhar Sharma among Time’s 100 most influential people of 2017.
- The Dinanath Mangeshwar Awards has been given to Actor Aamir Khan and cricketer Kapildev. Aamir khan will be honoured with the Vishesh Puraskar for Best Film Dangal.Kapil Dev will be honoured for outstnading contribution to Indian cricket.
- B.N. Mohapatra has been appointed as the new Financial Commissioner (FC) of Indian Railways.
20th April 2017
- Veteran Bollywood Actress Saira Banu and actor Jackie Shroff have been named by Maharashtra State Govt. for Raj Kapoor Lifetime Achievement Award and Raj Kapoor Special Contribution Award respectively.
- Giuseppina Nicolini has awarded the peace prize by UNESCO. She is the Mayor of the Italian island of Lampedusa.
- British pop singer turned fashion designer, Victoria Beckham has been made an Officer of the most excellent order of the British Empire.
19th April 2017
- India ranked at 8th position in the 2017 A.T. Kearney Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) Confidence Index. United States has been ranked 1 in this regard.
- Aniruddhan Vasudevan has been chosen for Sahitya Academy award. He is chosen for his novel “One part Women”, a translation of Perumal Murugan controversial Tamil novel “Maadhorubaagan”.
- Raj Kumar, a Hindu youth from Pakistan has been selected for the prestigious “Emerging young Leaders Award” given by the US state Department for the positive role played by youngsters in building sustainable space.
- Bhakra Beas Management Board (BBMB) has appointed Devendra Kumar Sharma as a Chairman for a period of 3 years.
- Gayle becomes the first cricketer to score 10,000 runs in T20.
- India’s Sagar Baheti on 17th April 2017 became the first visually impaired Indian runner to complete the historic Boston Marathon.
18th April 2017
- Shambhavi Puraskar 2017 has been presented to Hari Sankar Rout for his noteworthy contribution towards social change.
- Gururaja Bhat Award conferred on historian A.V. Narasimha Murthi.
- World Heritage day is celebrated on 18th April 2017 every year. It’s been chosen to tie in with the UN’s International Year of Sustainable Tourism for development.
17th April 2017
- Rodrigo Duterte, the president of Phillipines has won this year’s TIME magazine’s Reader’s Poll of the 100 most influential people in the world.
- Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari) won the Bahrain Grand Prix by defeating Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes). It was held at Bharanian International Circuit Bahrain.
- Pullela Gopichand’s Daughter Gayatri wins twin crown in Jakarta Badminton Championship.
16th April 2017
- Indian Engineer Tirupati Jain Wins ‘Cartier Women’s Initiative Award’, an award given for providing innovative solutions of water management to the women those working on farms and small farmers against drought and flash floods.
- The 6th Edition of M.S. Swaminathan Award for honoring outstanding contribution in the field of agriculture has been given to Rayappa Ramappa Hanchinal – Chairperson of Protection of Plant Varieties and Farmers Rights Authority.
- Google has launched a new food delivery and home services App called Areo for the Indian Market.
- Sai Praneeth has won the Men’s Single at Singapore Open Badminton Championship.
15th April 2017
- American Helicopter Society (AHS) International has awarded ‘World’s Outstanding Aerospace Engineer Leadership Award’ to Dr. Arvind Sinha – an Indian born aeronautics engineer, currently based in Australia.
- Pankaj Advani beats Sourav Kothari to win Asian Billiards Championship title.
14th April 2017
- Alia Bhatt features on Forbes 30 Under 30 Asia List.
13th April 2017
- Petrol and Diesel Prices to change everyday from 1st May 2017. Aim is to bring market linked rates on a daily basis at all pumps across the country.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has now become the most followed world leader on photo-sharing app Instagram with a massive 6.9 million followers.
- Veteran actor Dilip Kumar was honoured with the Living Legend Lifetime Award by the Punjab Association.
- The Union Ministry of Agriculture has selected Himachal Pradesh for the Krishi karman Award 2015-16 for increase in Food grains production.
- Justice Gita Mittal set to take over as acting Chief Justice of Delhi HC.
- Salman Khan launched the autobiography of Asha Parekh, The Hit Girl, with well known author and Journalist Khalid Mohamed, who was the co-author of the biography.
12th April 2017
- Haldia Port tops the list in the first ever ranking of ports on Sanitation Parameters.
- Amnesty International published the review stated that China executed the most people in 2016, followed by Iran & Saudi Arabia.
- President of India presents National Geoscience Awards 2016. The Young Scientist Award -2016 was given to Dr. Abhishek Saha, NIO, Goa.
- The Indian school team beat Malaysia 5-1 to lift the title at the Fifth Asian School Hockey Championship in Bhopal.
- Every year 12th April is celebrated as International Day of Human Space Flight to mark the day when the first human space flight, carried out by Yuri Gagarin on 12th April, 1961.
11th April 2017
- A speculative history novel “The Underground Railroad” written by Colson Whitehead has won the 2017 Pulitzer Prize in Fiction.
- Flipkart, India’s largest e-commerce company buys eBay’s India business and closing $1.4 Billion fund from raising from Tencent, EBay & Microsoft.
- Marouane Fellaini becomes the first Muslim player to captain Manchester United.
10th April 2017
- India set to become the world’s largest steel producer after China while boosting exports to highest ever.
- Judge Tej Bahadur Singh has set a Guiness World Record for disposing of 6065 cases in just 327 working days.
- Spain’s first female defence minister Carme Chacon has died at the age of 46.
9th April 2017
- After Jhargram, West Burdwan has declared as 23rd District of West Bengal by West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee as a “Bengali New Year Gift to People”.
- Asha Khemka, an Indian Origin educationist in the United Kingdom (UK) has been named the ‘Asian Businesswoman of the Year’ at the 5th annual Asian Business Awards. Other Awards include:
- Asian Business of the Year Award – Morningside Pharmaceuticals
- Enterpreneur of the Year – Kailash Suri – Managing Director of Reel Cinemas
- Community Champion – Nishti Ismail – Founder of Nishti’s Choice
- India win 12 medals at Asian Youth Chess Championship. India topped the tally with 12 medals including 4 medals followed by Uzbekistan (10 medals).
- Lewis Hamilton wins Formula 1 Chinese Grand Prix for Mercedes.
- 2017 Malaysia Super Series Premier – Overwiew
- Men’s Singles – Winner – Lin Dan
- Women’s Singles – Winner – Tai Tzu-Ying
- Men’s Doubles – Winners – Marcus Fernaldi Gideon & Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo
- Women’s Doubles – Winners – Yuki Fukushima & Sayaka Hirota
- Mixed Doubles – Zheng Siwel & Chen Qingchen
8th April 2017
- UN peace prize winner from Pakistan, Malala Yousafzai is set to become the United Nations’ youngest-ever ‘Messenger of Peace’.
- Uruguay to become First Country to Fully Legalize Marijuana.
- Larsen & Toubro Ltd (L&T) has appointed with the current president & deputy MD S.N. Subrahmanyan became company’s new CEO replacing A.M. Naik who will take charge as non-executive chairman.
- Mukta Dutta Tomar appointed as New Ambassador of India to Germany.
- India has finished the Thailand International Tournament with two medals includes 1 Gold medal and 1 bronze medal in Bangkok on April 8, 2017. Indian boxer K Shyam Kumar (49 Kg) won a gold medal for the second time in Thailand International Tournament. In 64 Kg category, Rohit Tokas has clinched a bronze medal after he lost in the semi-finals.
7th April 2017
- World Health Day is celebrated on 7th of April every year to mark the anniversary of the founding of the World Health Organization. The theme of 2017 World Health Day is ‘Depression: Let’s Talk’.
- Bhimaraya Metri has taken over as Director of Indian Institute of Management (IIM) Trichy (IIM Tiruchirappalli).
- Facebook launched its digital assistant named ‘M’ for US users of its Messenger application, ramping up the social network’s efforts in artificial intelligence.
- Rio Olympics silver medallist P V Sindhu jumped three places to achieve a career-best world number two ranking in the latest Badminton World Federation (BWF) rankings.
6th April 2017
- 6th April was declared as the International Day of Sport for Development and Peace (IDSDP) by the UN General Assembly.
- Aditya Birla Idea Payments Bank Ltd becomes the seventh entity to receive a final licence from the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to set up a payments bank.
- India’s travel and tourism sector ranks 7th in the world in terms of its total contribution to the country’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP), according to a new report of the World Travel and Tourism Council (WTTC), 2016.
- The National Association of Software and Services Companies (Nasscom) appointed Raman Roy (Managing Director of Quatrro Global Services) as its chairman for 2017-2018.
- India’s Virat Kohli was named Wisden’s Leading Cricketer in the World for 2016.
5th April 2017
- Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee declared Jhargram as the 22nd district of West Bengal.
- To make on-boarding easy for new sellers, Amazon India has launched an initiative called ‘Amazon Classroom’, a virtual training program to help teach them the nuances of online selling.
- Handset maker Gionee India announced its association with the ‘Royal Challengers Bangalore’, as their presenting sponsors for the tenth edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL).
4th April 2017
- India has been ranked 3rd in the doping violation report published by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) for the year 2015.
- General Bipin Rawat, the Chief of Army Staff (COAS) was presented with Honorary General of the Nepalese Army title by the President of Nepal on March 29, 2017.
- India’s central bank, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has cleared a proposal to introduce new currency notes of Rs 200 on April 3, 2017.
- The Former MD and CEO of Indian Bank, Mahesh Kumar Jain took charge as the MD and CEO of Industrial Development Bank of India (IDBI) Bank on April 4, 2017.
- The former Indian cricket team skipper MS Dhoni became an acting Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Gulf Oil India just for a day on April 3, 2017.
- Director General of Police (DGP) Geetha Johri was appointed as Police Chief (in-charge) of Gujarat on April 4, 2017. By this, Johari has become the 1st woman IPS officer to be appointed as the Police Chief in Gujarat.
3rd April 2017
- The 19th Commonwealth Forestry Conference (CFC), 2017 begins at Forest Research Institute (FRI) in Dehradun, Uttarakhand on April 3, 2017.
- Dawit Isaak, an imprisoned Eritrean-Swedish journalist has been chosen for the UNESCO/Guillermo Cano World Press Freedom Prize 2017 dedicated to promoting press freedom. The award is to be presented on May 3, 2017.
- Tapan Singhel has been re-appointed as MD and CEO for Bajaj Allianz General Insurance for a period of five years from April 1, 2017 to April 1, 2022.
- Ruling Party of Ecuador, Alianza PAIS candidate Lenin Moreno won the Ecuador’s presidential election held on April 3, 2017.
- Indira Banerjee, former judge of the Delhi High Court has been appointed as the Chief Justice of Madras High Court.
- Miami Open 2017 – An overview
- Men’s Single – Winner – Roger Federer (Switzerland)
- Women’s Single – Winner – Johanna Konta (Great Britain)
- Men’s Doubles – Winner – Lukasz Kubot (Poland) / Marcelo Melo (Brazil)
- Women’s Doubles – Gabriela Dabrowksi (Canada) / Xu Yifan (China)
- Rio Olympics silver medalist P V Sindhu won championship in India Super Series tournament on April 2, 2017 by defeating Olympic Champion Carolina Marin from Spain.
2nd April 2017
- Rajiv Kumar Chander, who is from 1983 Batch Indian Foreig Service (IFS) officer, has been appointed the Ambassador and Permanent Representative of India to the UN offices in Geneva on March 30, 2017.
- World Autism Awareness Day is observed on 2nd April every year by United Nations (UN) member countries to raise awareness about autism and problems faced by people suffering from it.
1st April 2017
- Vanaja N. Sarna was appointed as the new chairman of Central Board of Excise and Customs (CBEC).
- Minister of Railways Shri Suresh Prabhakar Prabhu released the book titled ‘Indian Railway- The weaving of a National Tapestry’. The theme of this book is the historical development of railways in India, organized into chapters dealing with different periods of development in chronological order.
- SBI gets new logo and enters in the league of top 50 Global Banks. On the design, “SBI” legend will be seen in white colour and will be written in a new font called Effra.
- N Chandrababu Naidu, Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh has been selected for the US India business Council (USIBC) award.